Debating - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-11-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I am debating between a LC52LE640 and the 50UT50 or similar models. Price range is between 1000 and 2000$ with taxes.

The main use for the tv would be tv shows/movies and 2-3 hours a day of gaming (bf3)

I am a little bit scared about the plasma for gaming for the burning image/retention.

What you guys suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-11-2012, 07:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlaplante View Post

Hi guys, I am debating between a LC52LE640 and the 50UT50 or similar models. Price range is between 1000 and 2000$ with taxes.

The main use for the tv would be tv shows/movies and 2-3 hours a day of gaming (bf3)

I am a little bit scared about the plasma for gaming for the burning image/retention.

What you guys suggest?

How about some more info like viewing distance and viewing environment? And its sounds like you do the same type of viewing as me and I have used plasma for years without a hiccup of burn in.. IR yea but that means nothing..
post #3 of 4 Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Sure.. Viewing distance is 8-10 feet in a basement with one window in the room with potlight
post #4 of 4 Old 05-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlaplante View Post

Sure.. Viewing distance is 8-10 feet in a basement with one window in the room with potlight

At 8 feet, you might prefer a 50" (more-or-less) panel for watching SD sources (TV or DVD) - and perhaps even many "HD TV" shows.

However, we sit 9ft from a 60" set (ST50) and the view is Marvelous for blu-rays, HDDVDs, some HD TV shows, and at least some SD DVDs.

Given your rather broad price range, you might well find that a larger-than-50" Pan UT50 or ST50 fits within your budget. Personally, would pick either of those over any LCD panel (short of the Sharp Elite, perhaps!).

We have 3 Pan plasmas in our home (from 4.5 years to under 1 month old) & have only experienced minor, short-term IR - but then we do NOT game. However, have 4 "kids" who all game AND own plasma sets (mostly Panasonic + 1 Samsung - and 1 Pioneer that I do not think ever gets Gamed On... ), and have not heard reports of Long Term IR / burn in from any of them.

Still, there have been a number of reports of problems with IR - and Perhaps Actual Burn In - on various 2011 plasma panels, so can sympathize with your concern.

If game playing will really be "2 - 3 hours / day," would opt for a Pan, and plan to run at least an hour of Full Screen, No Logo, No Ticker programming - at least on every day gamed.

Might help. Might not. But I would sleep better for the attempt!
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page