Information Overload; Need Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I am completely overwhelmed with all of the information here. Hell, I can't even decide if I want Plasma, LCD, or LED. So I ask for your kindness in helping me select a TV.

My criteria:

- Would like a thin bezel. I'm really distracted by huge ones.
- Spending as little as possible. Maximally, $700.
- No bigger than 42".
- Would stream MLB.tv from an AppleTV or computer just fine.

Environment:

I'm planning to mount the TV on the wall that's 73" long. Floor-to-ceiling windows form the entire 'wall' at the bottom of the blueprint from the rightmost wall until the 9.25" jut. Those windows have blinds and should block out most light. Speaking of the light, the apartment's in Brooklyn on the 9th Floor of a building. The aforementioned windows face south. I'm guessing there will be a good amount of light coming in at all times of the year.

Heretofore Research:

Right now I'm leaning toward this: http://www.amazon.com/LG-42PA4500-42...VV4XPKGQ1JP5TH

It seems to meet my criteria at a great price. But that also worries me. 720p seems low, but at the 11'-12' distance I'd watch from it should be ok. I'm not looking for any special Internet features so that seems good too. I just want MLB.tv, PS3, and other potential computer-based sources to appear fine at 11'-12'. I'm also worried by the lack of reviews on here. Maybe it's so cheap for a bad, bad reason.

If so, what other comparable sets I should look at? Or does this TV fit my needs perfectly?

Thank you, brave souls, in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
At that size LCD (this includes LED) is probably your only choice. I would go to BestBuy or a store that has TVs on display and find one you like and order online. At your seating distance 720 can be an option but 1080p will still look better.

Mike

post #3 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 10:16 AM

Liked: 11
Unless I am misinformed, there is no LED (light emitting diode) TV you can buy today. You can buy (Liquid Crystal Display) tvs that have either fluorescent backlights or LED backlights.

There are technologies where there will be an LED for each pixel, like OLED, but you cannot buy it yet.

To call anything an LED tv today is, to me, and attempt to confuse the buyer into thinking they are getting all the cool stuff of OLED which they may heard of.

Correct me if I have that wrong.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
when people say led theyre referring to a lcd with a led backlight.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

At that size LCD (this includes LED) is probably your only choice. I would go to BestBuy or a store that has TVs on display and find one you like and order online. At your seating distance 720 can be an option but 1080p will still look better.

Interesting. The following chart suggests that I should be more than fine with 720p at my distance.

What makes you disagree? Not arguing, just generally curious.

And why are LCD and LED my only choice? Again, just curious. Trying to figure out the thought process, not just the answer.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
You won't be able to resolve as much detail but we are still talking about more pixels. With what you are watching most the 720 should be fine.

Mike

post #7 of 7 Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelWingnut View Post

Interesting. The following chart suggests that I should be more than fine with 720p at my distance.

What makes you disagree? Not arguing, just generally curious.

And why are LCD and LED my only choice? Again, just curious. Trying to figure out the thought process, not just the answer.

I would do what wmwilker suggest and go to the store to check them out. Who ever made that chart apparently had poor vision, because my 50" plasma is 15' away from my couch and everyone in my family can see the difference between 480p and 1080p in my house.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page