What is the best Flat panel TV for Xbox 360 Gaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-22-2012, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi everyone,

Im basically trying to find the best high end TV either LCD or Plasma which gives gaming on the Xbox 360 the best picture.

I ended up buying this TV The Samsung UA55ES7500...

But so far i haven't been very wowed by the picture quality if anything when playing games they're has been a lot of ghosting, blurry images, poor blacks, inaccurate colours etc.

I'm thinking of returning the TV and getting something else...

I was asking around and a lot of people told me to consider the Panasonic ST50 for my needs...

I've only owned LCD TV's and never a plasma. But have been told that:
Plasma have deeper blacks (which allows for greater contrast ratio), better colour accuracy, better handling of motion leaving a very natural picture.

LCD/LED often uses different types of up-scaling to try and improve PQ. Although LCD/LED can reach a deeper black, the picture remains inconsistent as there aren't enough backlights as there are pixels. Meaning an area which may have a very deep black will be washed out as a nearby backlight may have to be switched on to display a colour.

Secondary uses for my TV would be for watching Blu-ray Movies and DVD's and lastly general TV viewing but i want my Games to look crisp, vibrant and lifelike.

Any help would be great thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone???

post #3 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes, the ST50 in the size range of your choice is an excellent suggestion, very low input lag (measured as low as 16ms or 1 frame) with black levels that match the more expensive GT and VT series based on the measurements of several reviewers. Scaling for non-native resolution input signals should be the same on either LCD or Plasma, they are also both using motion smoothing tech now, but you'll get a better picture with it turned off. On a plasma this won't result in poorer motion handling like you would see on an LCD. This processing also adds input lag so it's a double win on a plasma.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #4 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

I paid $3200 AU for this Sammy UA55ES7500. And my budget is about that...

In the past i've only owned LCD tv's and only from Samsung so i have no experience with Plasma Panels and am interested if making the switch will really make the games i play on my X360 look great.

Peoples experiences and/or opinions would be great.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Max View Post

Yes, the ST50 in the size range of your choice is an excellent suggestion, very low input lag (measured as low as 16ms or 1 frame) with black levels that match the more expensive GT and VT series based on the measurements of several reviewers. Scaling for non-native resolution input signals should be the same on either LCD or Plasma, they are also both using motion smoothing tech now, but you'll get a better picture with it turned off. On a plasma this won't result in poorer motion handling like you would see on an LCD. This processing also adds input lag so it's a double win on a plasma.

The ST50 seems like an excellent TV from the reviews i've read and opinions and is very well priced.

I think the Panasonic Plasma's are the best Plasma by far. The Samsung Plasma's could possibly be as good but i doubt i need the extra voice recognition, hand gestures or smart features crap for the extra $$. Playing around with this current Samsung these features are short lived.

My room is mostly dark there are two windows but they are usually covered by dark drapes which seems ideal for a plasma.

I don't care that Plasma's use more energy/power, are heavier or run hotter i mainly care about the PQ.

What about for Blu-Ray Movies and DVD's Would the ST50 also have high PQ for both of these inputs?

I was also looking into the 50" VT50 but i don't know if double the price tag over the ST50 justifies purchasing it whatsoever. What features does it have over the ST50?

post #6 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Panasonic TC-P65VT50. I'm just waiting for mine to arrive and then there'll be tons of Gears played upon it (in moderation, of course!).

You can't beat the plasmas, and this year's Panny is wowing everyone.

Chris
post #7 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMX23 View Post

What features does it have over the ST50?

You said "high end" in your original post. The VT50 is their high end model.

Chris
post #8 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumps View Post

You said "high end" in your original post. The VT50 is their high end model.

Chris

I understand that i'm just wondering what exactly it has over the ST50?

Obviously it's a 2012 vs a 2011 model but what's "new" for 2012?

post #9 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

The VT50 has an ISF calibration mode with Day and Night settings, THX Cinema modes, including a Bright mode for daytime viewing should you choose not to get the set ISF calibrated, slightly more input lag (24ms compared to 16ms), a 96Hz mode for film (that ironically doesn't seem to work all that well based on the reports) and more shades of gradation (24,576 vs. 12,228) are the main differences. Here is a comparison from the Panasonic website: http://shop.panasonic.com/compare/?i...Nbr=TC-P65ST50.

The prevailing wisdom seems to be that if you need or want any of the features on the VT get it. If you don't the ST is perfectly acceptable. The GT seems to be a waste of money over the ST and if you're going to step up from the ST go all the way to the VT panel.

The ST or the VT should both prove excellent for Blu-Ray and DVD's. In fact, if it in this area that you may notice the greatest difference between the plasma and the LCD. Though you may also notice a big difference if you play a lot of dark games with lots of shadow detail.

post #10 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The VT50 has an ISF calibration mode with Day and Night settings, THX Cinema modes, including a Bright mode for daytime viewing should you choose not to get the set ISF calibrated, slightly more input lag (24ms compared to 16ms), a 96Hz mode for film (that ironically doesn't seem to work all that well based on the reports) and more shades of gradation (24,576 vs. 12,228) are the main differences. Here is a comparison from the Panasonic website: http://shop.panasonic.com/compare/?i...Nbr=TC-P65ST50.

The prevailing wisdom seems to be that if you need or want any of the features on the VT get it. If you don't the ST is perfectly acceptable. The GT seems to be a waste of money over the ST and if you're going to step up from the ST go all the way to the VT panel.

The ST or the VT should both prove excellent for Blu-Ray and DVD's. In fact, if it in this area that you may notice the greatest difference between the plasma and the LCD. Though you may also notice a big difference if you play a lot of dark games with lots of shadow detail.

Thanks very much Sean.

Here in Oz the 50ST50 is $1500 vs the 55VT50 $3000.

The VT50 has MORE input lag than the ST50??? how could that be... isn't it supposed to be a better model than last years.

So the ST50 would be superior for gaming in this regard if the stats are true.

Anyway the features and of the 50ST50 are very appealing.

Would double the shades of gradation make a significant difference in picture quality?

I don't really have much knowledge on this...

post #11 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, the VT50 has more input lag than the ST50. This is typical as you go up in the quality of displays as more processing is applied to the image and this processing increases input lag. However, the difference in lag between the ST and the VT is not significant enough to be noticeable, anything under two frame (32ms) is considered excellent and both panels are well under that threshold.

The additional gradation in the VT looks nice on paper but in practice seems to be source limited. I've seen the ST and VT side by side and there did not appear to be any real difference in that respect. Even if you had a source that could take advantage of the extra gradations I'm not sure how noticeable it would be on anything other than test patterns.

Unless you plan on getting the panel professionally calibrated (and perhaps not even then) I wouldn't pay double for a VT instead of an ST. In all of the major area of picture quality the two sets are very close. The ST is a truly impressive panel for the money and is probably 95%+ the panel that the VT is. Plus you would actually benefit from the lower input lag on the ST for gaming.

post #12 of 14 Old 05-23-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, the VT50 has more input lag than the ST50. This is typical as you go up in the quality of displays as more processing is applied to the image and this processing increases input lag. However, the difference in lag between the ST and the VT is not significant enough to be noticeable, anything under two frame (32ms) is considered excellent and both panels are well under that threshold.

The additional gradation in the VT looks nice on paper but in practice seems to be source limited. I've seen the ST and VT side by side and there did not appear to be any real difference in that respect. Even if you had a source that could take advantage of the extra gradations I'm not sure how noticeable it would be on anything other than test patterns.

Unless you plan on getting the panel professionally calibrated (and perhaps not even then) I wouldn't pay double for a VT instead of an ST. In all of the major area of picture quality the two sets are very close. The ST is a truly impressive panel for the money and is probably 95%+ the panel that the VT is. Plus you would actually benefit from the lower input lag on the ST for gaming.

I think you've answered pretty much all my questions and i think the ST50 would be an excellent Panel for my needs.

The Panel i currently have it nearly identical to the UN60ES8000 except for the frame which was at the Value Electronics 2012 Shootout. How much better the ST50 is than this picture quality wise i will just have to wait and see once i make the switch.

post #13 of 14 Old 05-24-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

I went back to the store and returned the Samsung UA55ES7500.

I purchased the Panasonic TH-P50ST50A For $1,390 + $170 for 5 years warranty. Although i have to wait for it to come in because it's not a TV they stock and they won't even have the VT50 in-store until June 2012.

I hope i am happy with this TV...

Hopefully there will be no more returns.

post #14 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 04:30 AM

There is no good flat panel for 360 gaming.

The 360 is terrible with everything. The $60 a year online pass that no one complains about. Get a PS3 and support the company that tries to further a technology, not hinder it.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page