Recomendations for New TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-17-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 50" Sony SXRD finally got the optical block issue, which causes the entire screen to be green-tinted. I've contacted Sony, but it appears that it will essentially be cheaper to buy a new TV than to get this issue fixed. Really sucks because I have loved it, always did have amazing picture quality, but that's life.

I'm looking for something 46"-52" no more than $1,000. I know I can't get the top-of-the-line for that price, but I'm sure there are some pretty good TVs out there for that price. The last TV I bought was the SXRD, spent over $3,000 for it, but told myself that I'd never spend that much for a TV again after I saw their prices drop to half that within 2 years or so. I've done some research the past few days, but I'm now feeling overwhelmed, which is why I figured I would just try and get some help here. The SXRD had amazing picture quality, so I'd like a TV comparable to it (in terms of picture quality), since that's what I've been used to since 2006.

I mainly want it for use with my PS3. And when I mean "mainly", I mean it will be used for playing PS3 games 95% of the time. As wonderful as the SXRD was, some games did have pretty bad motion blur, so I want a TV that limits that as much as possible. So, what I'm looking for in a new TV is:

1) Under or around $1,000
2) Size: No smaller that 46"
3) Great for gaming (PS3)
4) Doesn't matter whether it's LED, LCD or Plasma

I'd appreciate any help and recommendations. I'm burnt out from researching and reading reviews on all the different TVs out there. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The good news is that you have a lot of choices. The bad news is you need to do some leg work. In your desired screen size and price range I saw a number of LCD, LED, and plasma sets. Decide what is most important to you:

LCD/LED's with high screen refresh rates (120Hz or 240Hz) offer a lot of frame rate compatibilities, everything from 24fps BluRay to high frame rate games. They also have 3D (passive AND active shutter) and total immunity from burn-in (permanent) or image retention (temporary). They also offer effective matte screens (the best anti-glare), highest brightness, and superior power efficiency.

Plasma offers the biggest screen size for the buck, reasonable brightness, reasonable glare suppression, and relatively high power consumption. Burn-in and image retention are much reduced from older sets, hardly much concern even with heavy gaming use as long as you take reasonable care. 3D is available, active shutter only.

Now you need to get out and look at these sets. Both technologies are capable of stunning images, but niether will be identical to your RPTV, so you need to figure out what you LIKE TO LOOK AT.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Well, that's part of the problem. I have been doing some legwork and looking at various TVs. The Sony and Samsung LCDs really catch my eye, but a lot of the TVs look good with the programming they show in the stores. There's a RCA with a really nice picture too. But as I said in my original post, I will use this TV for playing PS3 games most of the time, and none of the stores are going to have PS3s hooked up to each TV in order for me to see which ones look the best for game playing.

I kind of know the differences between plasmas, LCDs and LEDs. I was really hoping for recommendations on specific TVs that people in here own that know XBox/PS3s look good on.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
I kind of know the differences between plasmas, LCDs and LEDs. I was really hoping for recommendations on specific TVs that people in here own that know XBox/PS3s look good on.

Have you tried reading through / posting on some of the gaming boards?

Some of those people are pretty Hard Core, and seem likely to have opinions as to which sets work best for gaming.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I've been watching BD disks on a PS3 for 5+ years. My display is a 120Hz Samsung LCD. But my PS3 remains a virgin in the sense that it has never had a game played on it.

Any of the LCD displays with high refresh rates and frame interpolation have the ability to hold several frames in their video processor at once, which can cause a peceptable fraction of a second lag following the video source. Make sure that the display that you select has a "game mode" that eliminates this delay.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Alot of games have all sorts of cinematic motion blur going on these days and i don't think you can disable it on consoles. Crysis 2 was unplayable for me with all the blur that was going on, luckily i'm on a pc so i just disabled it.
Sxrd's while 60hz had a wicked fast pixel response time (around 2.5ms) so you would want to find an lcd that matches that or beats it considerably to get rid of motion blur (if the blur isn't from the source material) Most 120hz lcds are around 4 ms response time while most 240hz are around 2ms response time, don't even consider the old 60hz lcds because almost all of them clock in around 6-8 ms. Plasma generally has a faster pixel response time especially in your price range, the only problem is finding a decent plasma with a good screen filter for daylight environments in that price range.
You don't list your viewing environment so i don't no whether or not the better black level performance of plasma or the better bright room performance of lcds will be a factor for you.
Definetly look for models with a game mode, all the extra processing that goes into 120hz and 240hz can slow things down to a crawl where input lag is concerned (input lag for you can be felt while panning/looking aorund in games where the game seems to lag behind your movements.
I'll provide a brief summary of some models for you:

Lcd/led
Samsung un46eh6000 Great bright room performance, good screen uniformity due to full array of leds, decent response times, average black level performance compared to previous samsung lcds
Samsung un46d6400 An older model, probably still available in stores or online, deep black levels average screen uniformity and decent response times, 3d.
Samsung ln46d630 A stripped down older model which could also be a great deal, lcd for great uniformity vs edgelit leds, good black levels and bright room performance, decent response times.
Sony ex500 and bx520 I know another sony is probably the last thing you want to buy but they are probably the best bet for both good bright room and dark room performance.
Lg,Phillips,and Panasonic might have some very cheap 120hz lcds out there but you generally pay for it in the picture quality department, lg is probably the best of this bunch currently but also slightly more expensive than the other 2.

Plasmas
Samsung pn51e550(3d) or pn51e530 decent plasmas for the money, good black levels and great response times.
Panasonic tcp50u50 and tcp50ut50 (3d) decent plasmas for the money, great black levels and great response times would likely excel more in dark rooms. compared the samsungs.
lg 50pa6500 okay plasma for the money, likely average black levels and great response times. Cheapest 60" plasma i've ever seen is the 60pa6500.
You might be able to find some of these plasmas in 46" models as well.

Go look at some of these and figure out what you like, check the menu's on them for a game mode in store, pick a store with a good return policy as well as it's very likely that you won't be perfectly happy with the first purchase you make. Good luck smile.gif
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page