On the fence with new TV purchase AVS friends opinions appreciated. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 103
In the process of buying a new display will be used 75% gaming 25% film based content. Although internet features are an added bonus they do not sway my decision as far as feature set are concerned. I have narrowed down my choices to the following sets: Samsung PN51E550/E6500, Panasonic TC-p50UT50/ST50 and the LG 47LM7600 LED. The E6500 and ST50 are the absolute highest point of my budget which hovers around $1100/$1250 range which is stretching a bit would like to keep it around $1000 dollar mark,so I could afford a decent 3D Blu-ray player or home theater in a box and that is where the other 3 displays come into play. I will be in a very light controlled room, so glare isn't a huge concern for me, but good PQ with good black level performance is preferred. I have been pretty impressed with the LM7600 the local Sear's staff have let me come in near close on the weekend and run the Disney WOW calibration on the displays, so I can get a semi-real world experience with them. All have impressed, but am unable to bite the bullet on any of them, any first hand experience would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-25-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

In the process of buying a new display will be used 75% gaming 25% film based content. Although internet features are an added bonus they do not sway my decision as far as feature set are concerned. I have narrowed down my choices to the following sets: Samsung PN51E550/E6500, Panasonic TC-p50UT50/ST50 and the LG 47LM7600 LED. The E6500 and ST50 are the absolute highest point of my budget which hovers around $1100/$1250 range which is stretching a bit would like to keep it around $1000 dollar mark,so I could afford a decent 3D Blu-ray player or home theater in a box and that is where the other 3 displays come into play. I will be in a very light controlled room, so glare isn't a huge concern for me, but good PQ with good black level performance is preferred. I have been pretty impressed with the LM7600 the local Sear's staff have let me come in near close on the weekend and run the Disney WOW calibration on the displays, so I can get a semi-real world experience with them. All have impressed, but am unable to bite the bullet on any of them, any first hand experience would be appreciated.

If you want to go plasma and do that much gaming the Samsung will be better suited as they handle IR better. That being said, because your use is predominantly gaming I would lean more towards LCD. The LG won't provide the greatest black levels. The ES6500 from Samsung would be the better way to go and is on sale right now in your ballpark. I'm sure others can provide some other LCD options.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Yeah don't even think about the lg in a light controlled room, just off the top off my head a good samsung lcd like the one fan mentioned or one that has already been tested to have good black levels like the und4600.
It seems like there is no middle ground for Samsung lcds in this price range the eh6000 tested on cnet this year has good uniformity with light blacks and the und4600 has deeper blacks with lesser screen uniformity.
You could try an Samsung lcd like the lnd630 if you can find one as it will have better uniformity and relatively deep blacks. A Sony Nx720 would work very well for you (not to be confused with the ex720)
A Sony bx520 could be a good option on the cheap if it's anything like the bx420.
As long as your not playing the same game for the next 2 years or so i wouldn't worry to much about ir just keep in mind that you will have to sacrifice picture quality in this price range if you go the lcd route. Samsung plasmas do seem to be doing better with ir though as fan has already stated. Goof luck smile.gif
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Samsung Pn51e550 51 Inch 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50ut50 50 Inch Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Samsung Un46eh6000 Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl55bx520 55 Inch Bravia Bx520 Series Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page