Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So currently I have a 42" plasma,
LG 42PQ30: 42 inch High Definition Plasma TV (41.6

I have no issues with my tv just wondering what I should look to buy now. Only reason for wanting a new tv is for something bigger 55"-60"+ 1080p.
Looking to charge around $1,000-$1,600 on my amazon store card with no interest for 24 months. Are LED tvs in the 1,000-1,500 price range with on par with plasmas in same price range? Only brands im interested in are sony, lg, samsung, panasonic.

Was looking at the LG Cinema 55LM7600 but am reading a bunch of bad reviews inregards to its backlight bleeding?
and
Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST50
and
Sony BRAVIA KDL55EX640
and
Samsung UN55ES6500

Tv will mostly be used for HDTV, very light gaming, and to stream HD content from my xtreamer pro. Kind of want to try out 3d aswell, i know a few of them can convert 2d to 3d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
st50 you'd have to spend alot more to get a comparable lcd.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

st50 you'd have to spend alot more to get a comparable lcd.

how is the gt50 compared to the st50? looks like the 55" gt50 is priced similar to the 60" st50.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It's a worthwhile purchase, it has a few extra features like thx mode for the most accurate out of the box picture, double the shades of gradation and more user adjustable calibration settings.
If your not getting them calibrated then the gt50 will likely give a noticeably better picture.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-11-2012, 11:58 AM

how good are the ST's with light in the room? i seen a 60' with a Samsung 7000 60 inch at Sears and i know they are alot dimmer than the LED's, but they seemed dark in the store when i switched it off vivid to cinema mode. does it make a drastic difference in the daytime viewing?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lafayette View Post

how good are the ST's with light in the room? i seen a 60' with a Samsung 7000 60 inch at Sears and i know they are alot dimmer than the LED's, but they seemed dark in the store when i switched it off vivid to cinema mode. does it make a drastic difference in the daytime viewing?

Remember that "cinema" is intended for a light-controlled environment. Try Custom, with Mid-Panel brightness, and the ST will look brighter.

Short of buying a set with matte finish screen (the top LG plasma & a relative handful of LCD panels), reflections can be problem with nearly all current panels.

And if the sun is shining directly on the screen, even a LCD will wash out.

We have a 3 year-old Pan plasma in our bright LR - (grand...)kids are out there now watching "Robotz": PQ is just fine on this sunny afternoon (although sheers are drawn, and picture window is at right angle to screen). Our 60ST50 handles normal room lighting much better than the 50" panel does, and would expect it to hold that advantage in a daylight room as well - but the ST sits in our basement, so that is based upon relative performance in the "HT" area, and an assumption that that would hold true under brighter lighting....
Greg Lafayette likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 PM

If all u do is watch movies/shows, just go plasma. No worries about burn in.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-14-2012, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skzzzzy View Post

Was looking at the LG Cinema 55LM7600 but am reading a bunch of bad reviews inregards to its backlight bleeding?

I just took back my 55LM7600 tonight for that very reason. For daytime/bright room viewing, I couldn't have asked for anything better. However, I watch most of my viewing at night, with most of the lights off, and that is when the bleed was just too much for me to handle.

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #9 of 9 Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 228
If you are going to be viewing in a dark room (where you will notice the lower dark-room contrast and uniformity issues of Edge-LED) and are happy with your current Plasma, get the ST50. (or one of the other Panasonic Plasmas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Short of buying a set with matte finish screen (the top LG plasma & a relative handful of LCD panels), reflections can be problem with nearly all current panels.
And if the sun is shining directly on the screen, even a LCD will wash out.
This is not accurate information any more.

Matte LCD:
  • Diffused reflections
  • Glare
  • Loss of contrast
Glossy LCD:
  • Hard specular reflections
  • No glare
  • No loss of contrast
Glass-covered LCD:
  • Hard specular reflections
  • Glare
  • Loss of contrast

Note: Sony's glass-covered LCDs are the exception. The panel is optically bonded to the glass, so they avoid the glare and loss of contrast that others have—this actually dulls reflections compared to regular glossy LCD panels.

On the left is Philips’ “moth-eye” coated matte LCD—the most advanced matte finish available today.
On the right is Sony’s HX920 LCD which has an optically-bonded AR-coated gorilla glass panel.

Which one seems more affected by reflections in the environment?

beIvh.jpg

Note the huge area affected from each reflection on the Philips panel due to the diffused reflections, compared to the well-contained reflections on the Sony panel.

As long as you have the ability to focus on the screen rather than the reflections (people with depth perception issues that can’t see 3D may find this to be an issue) the glossy panel wins every time.

Even better, if you have some flexibility when positioning your screen, you can usually avoid any major reflections on the glossy panel, whereas the diffused matte panel will show a loss of contrast in a bright room no matter where you place it.

This is why you will find that sort of finish on OLED panels, and why Apple’s Retina MacBook Pro has a similar finish.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Led Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Panasonic , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl55ex640 55 Inch 1080p Led Internet Tv Black , Samsung Un55es6500 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page