lcd - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there such a thing at retail or online as a LCD or PLASMA flat screen in standard definition that uses the 4:3 aspect ratio? I want to replace my 26 inch CRT TV with a comparable flat screen. I do not understand why COMPUTER screens are square while tvs are wide. I use a standard def set top receiver. I need a screen that uses the RF connector so the connections will be maintained. A/V in/outs would be an extra. A VGA in would also be nice so I can use my PC to TV box to make the connection to my combo unit and then to the panel as it already is. I want to keep things simple. How is a standard def 4:3 displayed on a wide screen? Black bars on the sides to make the image square? Stretched to fit the wide screen? Can a inexpensive screen, if there is such a thing, handle BOTH standard def as well as high def? I have no plans on replacing my 4 cable boxes. 200 channels are enough and nothing to watch. 500 channels would be more of the same. Any and all info welcome. reeltoreelguy@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Computer screens are wide since the middle of the decade tongue.gif
The image is displayed wih black or gray bars on the side to create a 4:3 image.
All hd screens will handle sd content by scaling it to the resolution of the panel and placing the aforementioned black bars on either side, some produce a better image then others when displaying sd content. If youll be watching a lot of 4:3 then you may want to consider an LCD due to the uneven aging that would occur on a plasma (a lot of screens use gray bars to combat this but gray bars can be distracting). A lot of tvs have options to scale the image to fit the panel by cutting a few inches off the top and bottom of the image (same applies for film content)
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page