WHICH TO BUY: 70" LED (Sharp Aquos LC-70LE632UBD) or 65" Plasma (Panasonic Viera TCP65ST50) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-15-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They are both the same price (LED from Costco - Plasma from Best Buy) and I am trying to decide which to buy. It is a room which has a ton of light in it - (Full length windows). The use is general television watching (Boxee) and my kids XBOX.

Thoughts? I have read that the 70 LEDs lose screen quality, but worry that a 65" plasma in a light room will be to dark. Dont care about 3D ... will never use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't think an st50 would be to dim, go have a look at it in a store with ridiculously bright lighting (usually avoided to get an accurate idea of picture quality) and if it holds up well at anything below 60 contrast or so then that's your screen. The st50 is superior in a lot of ways, namely picture quality. The sharp does at least use a full backlight rather than edge lit so it won't be as bad as an edge lit for brightness uniformity but it will still be worse than the plasma in darker scenes if you plan to ever watch at night.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Weening View Post

They are both the same price (LED from Costco - Plasma from Best Buy) and I am trying to decide which to buy. It is a room which has a ton of light in it - (Full length windows). The use is general television watching (Boxee) and my kids XBOX.
Thoughts? I have read that the 70 LEDs lose screen quality, but worry that a 65" plasma in a light room will be to dark. Dont care about 3D ... will never use it.

The Sharp 70" sets put out a stunning picture. I have no idea of what you mean when you say they lose screen quality??? Personally, I would rate Sharp tvs as having excellent PQ. The 70" screen is a very big plus and very satisfying. I went from a 65" RPTV to a Sharp 70LE732 and have been extremely happy with the set. I have had the Sharp for well over a year now and have no complaints. Another big plus is the Sharp semi-gloss screen which does an excellent job with window/lamp reflections. They operate extremely well in rooms that have a lot of light and also look very good in a completely dark room. I certainly wouldn't trade it for a 65" set.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408476/common-problems-in-leds-lcds-plasma#post_22002781
post #4 of 18 Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

You give up a lot for that extra 5" and lower power draw and the 732 is I believe an edge lit? Which actually puts it lower on the image quality scale than the 632.
I'm guessing by screen quality the op meant image quality or possibly viewing angles?
post #5 of 18 Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

You give up a lot for that extra 5" and lower power draw and the 732 is I believe an edge lit? Which actually puts it lower on the image quality scale than the 632.
I'm guessing by screen quality the op meant image quality or possibly viewing angles?

The 732 is most certainly not edge lit. I gave up nothing. I consider the Sharp to have excellent picture quality that is the equal of the 65 inch Hitachi RPTV that it replaced. And yes, that extra 5 inches of screen size is a very big improvement. Would I ever go back to a 65" set??? Not on your life.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like you might be right, there seems to be a lot of misinformation surrounding the 732.
No you probably didn't give up much other than deeper overall black levels (CRT rear pro?)
but this is a different situation where the st50 has a lot more going for it:
Viewing angles
Black level
Contrast
Accuracy
Motion performance

The sharp has:
Average to above average picture quality (edge lit or full array)
low power draw
5" extra or 7% more screen space tongue.gif
Light black levels
Average accuracy
post #7 of 18 Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Looks like you might be right, there seems to be a lot of misinformation surrounding the 732.
No you probably didn't give up much other than deeper overall black levels (CRT rear pro?)
but this is a different situation where the st50 has a lot more going for it:
Viewing angles
Black level
Contrast
Accuracy
Motion performance
The sharp has:
Average to above average picture quality (edge lit or full array)
low power draw
5" extra or 7% more screen space tongue.gif
Light black levels
Average accuracy

Your plasma black level performance is totally negated when the tv is in any kind of environment that has ambient light. The black levels on the Sharps are excellent. I could quite easily afford you plasma 65" set but would I switch. In a word NO. Sorry, if I were to buy another tv today it would be the Sharp 80" set. So to answer the OPs question, I would take the Sharp 70" set hands down.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Well that's the problem with putting any tv in a bright environment. Odds are you'd watch a couple
movies at night or do some gaming and while the black levels on the sharp may be decent when compared to average edge lits without local dimming they are no where near as good as the plasma. It sounds like your someone who never really got good use out of the black level on your hitachi and rather enjoy the better static contrast and bright image of an led. The st50 is an all around great performer though and after reading the thread you posted where people were complaining about the glossy screen of the sharp I'd imagine the st50 could in fact equal it in a lit room for reflections (at reasonable brightness settings) and still surpass it in other areas. The 80" sharps are at the point where value drops off considerably,
much higher quality projector setups and dlps can be had at that screen size and price range.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Well that's the problem with putting any tv in a bright environment. Odds are you'd watch a couple
movies at night or do some gaming and while the black levels on the sharp may be decent when compared to average edge lits without local dimming they are no where near as good as the plasma. It sounds like your someone who never really got good use out of the black level on your hitachi and rather enjoy the better static contrast and bright image of an led. The st50 is an all around great performer though and after reading the thread you posted where people were complaining about the glossy screen of the sharp I'd imagine the st50 could in fact equal it in a lit room for reflections (at reasonable brightness settings) and still surpass it in other areas. The 80" sharps are at the point where value drops off considerably,
much higher quality projector setups and dlps can be had at that screen size and price range.

Projectors are useless in a living room environment where there is ambient light. You obviously have some kind of Plasma complex. They are definitely NOT the best tv for all environments. Again, the OP asked for an opinion, I gave him mine.

Is plasma on the way out??? http://mashable.com/2012/05/11/panasonic-plasma-tv/
post #10 of 18 Old 07-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Haha biggrin.gif there's just no stopping you is there. Yeah an 80" flat panel fits right into the decor why paint your wall when you can cover it with a tv biggrin.gif
A plasma complex eh.. I like to think of it more as a common sense reality complex, the reality is the st50 is a more accurate display and it performs well in a bright room due to an excellent screen filter and a bright panel.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Haha biggrin.gif there's just no stopping you is there. Yeah an 80" flat panel fits right into the decor why paint your wall when you can cover it with a tv biggrin.gif
A plasma complex eh.. I like to think of it more as a common sense reality complex, the reality is the st50 is a more accurate display and it performs well in a bright room due to an excellent screen filter and a bright panel.

Yep, the 80" Sharp would fit very well into my living room. If you care to view the Sharp 80" threads, there are quite a few people who absolutely love them. I seriously doubt they'd trade you for a 65 inch set.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Kids + Xbox = LCD.

No way I would get a plasma in your instance.

buytme
post #13 of 18 Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 PM

Liked: 13
No way with plasmas since 2010!
post #14 of 18 Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

80" Sharps still aren't cost effective and the plasma still provides better picture quality for all the reasons i've listed, you haven't yet explained why the sharp has a good image, all you have done is insist that it is a good display. That's perfectly fine but i'm here to provide facts about displays not just tell people i like them wink.gif
Finally a decent reason not to get the plasma, i completely over looked that David that's a good point.
"No way with plasma since 2010" How informative biggrin.gifrolleyes.gif
post #15 of 18 Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 214
The only way for a non plasma/LED/LCD owner to get qualified information is to read reviews from professional reviewers such as Chad B, CNET, Sound & Vision Magazine, Home Theater Magazine and a few others. I always try to take into consideration personal preferences, because even professional reviewers are human, it's difficult to get a consensus. Take the review of the ST50 in Sound & Vision and the review in the same months issue in Home Theater Magazine. Both reviewers liked it but one raved about it and the other was thought it was pretty good but a great value. Both technologies still have the same strengths and weaknesses that they've demonstrated forever. LCD's have poor viewing angles. They use less electricity and they are cooler and lighter. On average they work better in a bright room and some still suffer from image blur. The better models for 2012 are using more reflective screen material. If you want something in the 70" to 80" range LCD is your only option. Plasmas have always been considered to have better black levels and perform better in a light controlled room. They have a reputation for throwing off a bit of heat. Some tend to buzz and even the 2012 Panny's are reported here on this site to have IR problems, especially during the first 400 hours or so. All of the professional reviewers prefer Plasma's, and that's a pretty convincing argument for plasma's having better PQ. But, plasma's and LCD's deliver a different looking picture. Some have a problem liking one after becoming used to the other. Bottom line, today's best of both can deliver a stunning picture and I can't imagine anybody not being thrilled with either venue after living with it for 30 days.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Regarding specifically the 2012 Pansonic's, How do you respond to the dithering complaints (unexpected blurring of faces during dimly lit scenes) during cable quality broadcasts?
post #17 of 18 Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Unless you are talking about the Elite, plasma's still provide superior PQ.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Regarding specifically the 2012 Pansonic's, How do you respond to the dithering complaints (unexpected blurring of faces during dimly lit scenes) during cable quality broadcasts?

Please post a link.

Michael
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page