Do expensive LED TVs offer less eye strain than cheaper TVs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I suffer from photo sensitive epilipsy and at the moment am trying to decide between buying either a Samsung Led Projector or a Samsung Led TV and also which would provide the least amount of eye strain (Im apprehensive about buying a DLP projector because Im worried that the rainbow effect is putting to much strain on my brain and eyes.)

I dont know much about LED TV technology but from what Ive read on Wikipedia the LEDS in TVs pulse fast enough that the eye doesnt notice the flicker of a TV.
So I was wondering is it worth while buying a more expensive 200hz or even 400hz instead of a 100hz TV because the refresh rate or whatever its called LOL will be better than a 100hz TV therefore the TV Image will be easier on the eyes/brain?

Thats the other question I have, if a TV is 100hz do movies then playback at 100hz. Because on my media player I can select either 50hz or 60hz for FULLHD. Does a TV upscale the refresh rate to 100hz LOL?

Thanks for any info you can give me I appreciate it smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
LED backlit displays offer the least amount of flicker of any current display technology. You want to avoid Plasmas as they build up the image temporally in a similar fashion to DLPs.

The LCD panel refresh rate (60Hz, 100Hz, 200Hz etc.) is actually decoupled from the backlight. So it doesn't matter if you have a 60Hz LED set, or a 200Hz LED set, the amount of flicker from both panels should be the same.

That said, many of the higher refresh rates offered today are not "true" refresh rates, and are achieved by operating the panel at, say, 200Hz, and then using a technique called backlight scanning to improve motion handling to equivalent of say 400Hz. This backlight scanning technique does introduce flicker into the image, though it should be imperceptible to most people.

With Sony LCDs, you can decide whether backlight scanning is used depending on the MotionFlow option you use.
  • The Off, Smooth and Standard options do not use backlight scanning.
  • The Clear, Clear Plus and Impulse options do use varying degrees of backlight scanning. (and you should see a drop in brightness as a result)

I don't know whether other manufacturers give you the option to enable/disable backlight scanning, or what their options are called if they do. If I recall correctly, a friend's LG set does not give you the option to disable backlight scanning at all.

If you are thinking about 3D, you definitely want a set that uses passive 3D rather than active 3D. (though personally I don't think 3D is worth it) I believe that a friend's Panasonic LCD with passive glasses has the option to enable/disable backlight scanning, though you would have to check that to be sure.

And the panel is effectively always running at the highest (true) refresh rate possible. If you send it a 24Hz signal, it will run at 240Hz, 480Hz etc.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. So If I buy a 100hz Samsung TV and turn off the 100hz CMR it will provide the best picture..and 100hz CMR turned on would increase flicker if understand correctly?

Will OLED TVs suffer from this flicker problem as well?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman90077 View Post

Thanks for the info. So If I buy a 100hz Samsung TV and turn off the 100hz CMR it will provide the best picture..and 100hz CMR turned on would increase flicker if understand correctly?
Will OLED TVs suffer from this flicker problem as well?
I don't know enough about Samsung's current displays to say whether that will disable backlight scanning or not. Some sets always use backlight scanning, and the only options you have are for turning interpolation on/off. Sony are the only ones where I know for sure that you have the option to not use it.

OLED displays will likely have some degree of flickering, but not as bad as Plasma displays.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You mentioned dlp's build up the image similar to plasmas? Are you reffering to wobbulation or brightness?
Brightness from the lamp is continuous right?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

You mentioned dlp's build up the image similar to plasmas? Are you reffering to wobbulation or brightness?
Brightness from the lamp is continuous right?
DLPs use sequential color and build up gradation temporally using multiple subfields. Plasmas don't use sequential color, but their phosphors have different response times, so they exhibit similar color break-up artefacts ("rainbows") and they also build up the image over multiple subfields.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page