YCbCr encoding for video discs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I read an article recently on audioholics.com that happens to be a couple years old however seems to be the most recent information I can find on the topic. The quote from the article says "There is often confusion regarding YCbCr and YPbPr, however it is very easy to understand the difference. YCbCr is simply the digital "component video" format that is used in DVDs, digital TV and Video CDs. Digital camcorders (MiniDV, DV, Digital Betacam, etc.) output YCbCr over interfaces such as FireWire or SDI. YPbPr is simply the analogue version which manifests itself in the form of the three (red, green and blue) RCA connections on most displays (referred to as "component video"). Where analogue YPbPr uses three cables for connectivity, digital YCbCr uses only one"
Can someone explain this too me a little more? How is a YCbCr composite format considered to be digital when to my knowledge composite cables can at maximum only push 480p? And also why are component cables referred to as a three plug analog connection when component cables or YPbPr can carry a digital high definition signal? eek.gif

Thanks guys!

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
YPbPr is an component analog video protocol using 3 cables which can carry SD or HD video content such as 480i, 720p or 1080i.
Composite uses 480i resolution analog video using a single cable normally with a yellow RCA connector.
Both component and composite use separate cables for the audio, often a red and a white rca connectors.
YPrPb component video is not the same as RGB component video which is also an analog protocol normally associated with the VGA analog protocol.
YPbPr and RGB component use interchangeable cables but the protocols are slightly different.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

But again why is YCbCr considered to be a digital format?

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

But again why is YCbCr considered to be a digital format?

Because it follows the standards for digital photography by encoding the RGB information.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@Otto Pylot Can you explain that a little more please?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Ok. That was a little misleading on my part so I should have been a little more clearer. First of all, this is a very confusing area (at least to me) because component labeling on devices doesn't seem to be consistent for whatever reason and just adds to the confusion. YCbCr and YPbPr are basically interchangeable terms defining the RGB color space with the luminance, the "Y" component, being slightly different. Both are component video but the "digital" part is usually designated YCbCr and is carried on one wire, HDMI or DVI, whereas the "analog" part is carried on three wires and is considered YPbPr. Higher resolutions are more likely with YCbCr because the color space is "digitized" (ones and zeros) with greater bandwidth.