Advancements over the past five years? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-22-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone! About five years ago I bought a Panny flat screen plasma. Its a 42" 720p display. At the time it cost $2400. My girlfriend and I are engaged to be married in nine months and I'm curious about new TVs out there for our new place. I'm in grad school so budget is a concern, but at Costco they had 55" plasmas and LCDs for under $900. I was pretty shocked.

SO, I'm curious what has changed in the past five years? Five years ago Panny and Pioneer were the best Plasmas, LCD was brighter and did not have "burn in" but Plasma had a better picture. Now, I see there are fewer plasmas, there is something called LED LCD and some new thing called OLED.

So, what should I look for with a budget under $1300 and a screen size larger than 42"? My old tv would become a secondary. Are plasmas still king?

Thank you all, look forward to the info!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Each technology has it's own pros and cons. IMO, plasma is still the king with best overall PQ. But if you have a very bright room and you watch during the day and can't control the lighting, then LED may be a good choice for you. LED is just a type of LCD, and does have better black levels than regular LCD, but (as with all LCDs) has poor side angle viewing and worse motion blur than plasma. I would strongly recommend Panny ST50 plasma as best value 2012 display. Black levels and overall PQ are considerably better now than with 5-year-old plasmas. At your price range, forget about OLED (brand new technology, and very expensive). Unfortunately, Pioneer doesn't make plasmas anymore.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Led LCD doesn't necessarily have better black levels than regular old ccfl LCD unless local dimming is used. The uniformity if edge lit led lcds (evenness of brightness across the screen most noticeable in dark scenes) has been a big issue ever since the tech arrived. Everything else Bill said is correct, a plasma is the best value. Alot of people say burn in isn't a problem anymore and I tend to believe them from my own experience. That said Samsung appears to be doing better with burn in/image retention this year. The Samsung Plasmas unfortunately don't show quite as deep a black (the pne6500 may be an exception). The st50 performs well in a bright room but if your not in a bright room and aren't getting the tv calibrated you might consider the ut50 (3d) or even u50 for nearly the same picture quality at a lower price.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see that Panny ST50 is a 3D tvs. My small amounts of reading on 3d tvs over the past 2 years led me to believe they cause headaches in a lot of people and are more gimmicky than worth it. Thoughts on this?

Also, with a 3d TV, you can turn the 3d off, correct, and just watch it normally? How is the tv in 2d mode?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by croikee View Post

I see that Panny ST50 is a 3D tvs. My small amounts of reading on 3d tvs over the past 2 years led me to believe they cause headaches in a lot of people and are more gimmicky than worth it. Thoughts on this?
Also, with a 3d TV, you can turn the 3d off, correct, and just watch it normally? How is the tv in 2d mode?

Yes normal 2D mode is used on 3D TVs too.
3D mode only goes active if you watch 3D content like from a special 3D blu-ray player and 3D movie title.
The 3D capable TVs may have superior video processing and faster panel, so that can improve 2D as well.

To view in 3D mode you need a pair of compatible 3D glasses for the particular TV too.
A very small percentage (1-2%?) of the population may have issues watching 3D, but most don't.
I found initially I had to get use to adjusting my eye's focus with 3D viewing, so that needs some practice to get used to it, but no headaches.
I'd recommend the Panasonic ST50 models whether you use 3D or not, you might want to use it in the future.
The 50ST50 is a bargain priced model under $1100 from some sources.
Some events of the Summer Olympics are reportedly being broadcast in 3D on a special channel on many cable systems in the next few weeks by the way.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by croikee View Post

With a 3DTV you watch 90%+ in 2D. You occasionally watch a blu-ray in 3D. 3D can be tiring after a while. Not sure if it's watching in 3D or having to wear the glasses.It's gimmick. It won't look the same as looking out a window. Think of it as having enhanced special effects.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page