Quick little buying advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
Quick question if ya'll can help a newbie - I'm in the market for a new 50-55 (maybe 60 if it can fit) tv for our living room. There's a lot of windows including one that's across from where the tv will be. That said, does tv tech matter more (ie, plasma vs. led/lcd) or type of screen with regards to reflections? What's the common recommendation for this type of setup? Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 AM

IF your gonna go with plasma, then panasonic ST50. It has a pretty aggressive filter on it that rejects ambient light pretty good, while preserving picture brightness, black levels, and clarity really well. This filter is on the ST line on up. LCD/LED is useful in a brightly lighted room where you may not be able to control lighting, also some have matte screens to reduce glare. So it really depends on your setup and budget.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I think if your tv directly faces a window on the the other side of the room, you may be best to look into an LCD/LED with a matte screen. Even with curtains closed, if light is directly behind the window you will probably still get some reflection on the panel surface. If you really want a plasma, then purchase one with a good return policy and see how it looks in your environment during day/night viewing. It may be something you can live with and learn not to notice it if it's there.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Can anyone recommend a 55" with a Matte screen? I have been doing a bunch of searches online this morning and am having a hard time finding many options. I am looking to maximize screen size with the 55" but it will be in the living room with large windows and tons of light during the day. Need to keep the windows open and be able to see kids/friends in the pool during football Sundays. Thanks!
post #5 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhawkkg View Post

Can anyone recommend a 55" with a Matte screen? I have been doing a bunch of searches online this morning and am having a hard time finding many options. I am looking to maximize screen size with the 55" but it will be in the living room with large windows and tons of light during the day. Need to keep the windows open and be able to see kids/friends in the pool during football Sundays. Thanks!

Matte screens have fallen out of favor. You can take a look at the CNet article on Matte-Screen LCDs, which was last updated in Aug 2011.

Also recall reading that the top LG PLASMA model for 2012 has a matte finish.

We have an older Panasonic plasma with a matte screen, and it does make a difference in Bright Daylight: but if the sun is shining directly on the screen it is still a washout....
post #6 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Matte screens have fallen out of favor. You can take a look at the CNet article on Matte-Screen LCDs, which was last updated in Aug 2011.
Also recall reading that the top LG PLASMA model for 2012 has a matte finish.
We have an older Panasonic plasma with a matte screen, and it does make a difference in Bright Daylight: but if the sun is shining directly on the screen it is still a washout....

Thanks, I guess that confirms why I am not seeing many online. Does anyone have some suggestions for the best models that would filter or reduce the glare the most? I have seen some posts referencing the Panasonic ST50's and will start looking into that line but woudl love to hear anyone else's opinions too. Thanks for the help!
post #7 of 7 Old 07-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I agree with the ST50 if you decide to go plasma. The louvre filter works extremely well for brighter environments. As stated above the matte screen days are almost gone in a lot of situations. Nearly all of the high end and better performing LED/LCD's have a glossy finish that shows just as much glare and/or reflection as the PDP's. That being said the Toshiba 5200 and 7200 Series TV's keep the matte finish and perform quite well The 7200 series adds passive 3D and 240Hz, and every review that I've read on the 5200 series says that for the money, it performs quite well. The reviews that I read were off of cnet and hometheaterhifi. The color reproduction was pretty accurate, the response time was average but right on par with traditional 120Hz LCDs and the black levels were surprisingly better then you would hope for what it is. I know Toshiba isn't the name-brand most people associate with quality flat panels but these two TV's are a surprising shake up to this notion. I will also say that in no way shape or form does this TV belong in the same league as the ST50. But for LED/LCD that has a matte finish for a brighter room that will handle ambient light well, I feel like it might be a good fit.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page