Need help deciding between 55" or 60" TV, is 60" just too large? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone!

I'm setting up a small side bedroom for watching HD movies and playing HD video games. I have a couch against the back wall where I'll be sitting that is between 7-8 feet away from the screen, which will be sitting on a solid wood tv base that is 25" high and 64" wide and 18" deep against the other wall.

Based on the THX viewing suggestions, 60" seems suggested for optimal immersion, but my wife (of course), thinks that just too big for sitting this close and thinks I should go with a 55". Is she right?

As far as cost, I'm looking at the Panasonic ST50 plasma's, so the difference is only about $300 which isn't a deciding factor for me.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
We don't game, so cannot comment from that perspective.

From a Viewing Perspective: 60" at 7 - 8 feet depends upon Content & your own sensitivity to PQ flaws.

We sit 9ft from a 60ST50: Blu-rays and HDDVDs generally look great - but at that distance / size combination, EVERY Flaw in the source becomes readily apparent. With modern material, that is usually not much of a problem, but even on a blu-ray, some older movies reveal significant flaws...

HOWEVER: Streaming sources, SD DVDs, and Most "HD TV" programs, tend to fall far short of "blu-ray" quality, and often look downright horrible.

We have a secondary seating position that helps - at approx 12 foot distance.
Or, we simply watch some "HD" TV programs on our 50" set - at about 10 ft, more-or-less: either the 1366x768 display simply does a better job of handling sub-HD material, and/or the smaller screen makes the flaws harder to spot....
post #3 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 543
For me, Travis, that close I'd go 55".

For you, it might be different. Try both sizes at the appropriate distance in stores and see what you both like.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossairt View Post

Hello everyone!
I'm setting up a small side bedroom for watching HD movies and playing HD video games. I have a couch against the back wall where I'll be sitting that is between 7-8 feet away from the screen, which will be sitting on a solid wood tv base that is 25" high and 64" wide and 18" deep against the other wall.
Based on the THX viewing suggestions, 60" seems suggested for optimal immersion, but my wife (of course), thinks that just too big for sitting this close and thinks I should go with a 55". Is she right?
As far as cost, I'm looking at the Panasonic ST50 plasma's, so the difference is only about $300 which isn't a deciding factor for me.
Thanks for any help!

Go for the 60". I don't see any reason to go smaller.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Liked: 22
Listen to your wife. She's probably right. 55" is huge. I can see the pixels of a 60" panal at 7-8 feet. On the other hand, for a 55" TV, I would have sit 4-5 feet away to see the pixels. It is very distracting for an HDTV.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
You can never go too big. It might seem huge at first, but you will get used to it fairly quickly. If you buy the 55″ panel, a few months later you will be wishing you had just spent the extra $300 to get the 60″.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazishere View Post

Listen to your wife. She's probably right. 55" is huge. I can see the pixels of a 60" panal at 7-8 feet. On the other hand, for a 55" TV, I would have sit 4-5 feet away to see the pixels. It is very distracting for an HDTV.
Sorry, but the math doesn’t work out on this one. If you have to be within 5′ of a 55″ screen to see the pixels (43.6° viewing angle) that means you will only see pixels on a 60″ screen within 5.5′ (43.2° viewing angle)

At a 7′ distance, the difference between 55″ and 60″ isn’t that huge anyway. It’s 31.9º vs 34.6º FoV. If a 60″ panel is too big for your wife at that distance, the 55″ will be as well.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Get the 60" - remember that you'll be losing some screen area when watching film content, since they have a wider aspect ratio, so you'll want as big a screen as possible to make up for it.

I sit 8' away from a 55" screen, and already think it's too small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Liked: 22
So Travis, you've heard all sides. What's your decision?
post #9 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I hope all your viewing is HD, if so go 60"
post #10 of 11 Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Ha, seems the suggestions were pretty evenly split between the two sizes. Since my posting, the price of the 60" dropped on Amazon by $50 making it even more attractive, but now they aren't shipping for 1-2 months, so I have a little more time to think about it. My brother also has the 60" so I think I need to find a nice long weekend to visit him and sit in front of his for a good amount of time. Decisions decisions. :-) Thanks for the feedback everyone, and if anyone else has input, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-24-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Too big? I view 65" from 6ft and it is perfect. A 55" will look tiny. It is tiny.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page