What TV for <$1000 (Primarily Gaming/Movies) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I am moving out of the dorms this year and will have my own room in a house with a bit more space. Still nothing luxurious but at least I have something to work with. I will mainly be doing gaming via my PS3 and watching movies, nothing special so whatever TV would fit these two purposes the best would be the t.v. for me. The viewing distance will be about 8-12 ft. 3D/Smart features aren't a must but it seems most of the top-tier sets have them so it wouldn't hurt. Budget is <$1000, new or used.

Here is what I have been considering:

LG 47LM6700:

Panasonic ST50:

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Get the st50.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Barba View Post

.....I will mainly be doing gaming via my PS3 and watching movies,.....

We own 3 Pan plasmas, and the latest - a 60ST50 - has outstanding overall PQ, adding a wonderful deep black capability that the earlier sets cannot equal.
(And those are impressive enough to most casual viewers.)

However, our ST50 had significant IR problems up until some point past the 400 hour mark. Beyond 500 hours, would say it is only Slightly more IR prone than the earlier sets. (Onset is still somewhat quicker, but Duration has shortened dramatically as compared to earlier, and no longer consider IR to be a "Problem.")

Owner reports on IR with the 2012 Pan panels are all over the place: if you go the ST50 route, would recommend a fairly quick Aging Routine, and taking reasonable precautions until you know how your particular panel handles IR....

Heavy Gaming and/or usage as a Computer Monitor tend NOT to be consistent with "reasonable precautions" against IR....

Again, some owners have reported gaming from day one, with no IR whatsoever.

YMMV
post #4 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
Best Buy currently has an awesome deal for a Panasonic TC-P50UT50 along with a free Xbox 360 250gb Model for $849. The TV is usually sold for $1000 and the XBOX sells for $299 so it is $400 off. It is in the current Best Buy Weekly Flier. If you have an Xbox, you could always sell it or sell your older one to offset the purchase.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #5 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Barba View Post

Hi all, I am moving out of the dorms this year and will have my own room in a house with a bit more space. Still nothing luxurious but at least I have something to work with. I will mainly be doing gaming via my PS3 and watching movies, nothing special so whatever TV would fit these two purposes the best would be the t.v. for me. The viewing distance will be about 8-12 ft. 3D/Smart features aren't a must but it seems most of the top-tier sets have them so it wouldn't hurt. Budget is <$1000, new or used.
Here is what I have been considering:
LG 47LM6700:

Panasonic ST50:

Any suggestions?
If you can find a 50" ST50 I would recommend picking one up few big box retailers carry them anymore, so amazon or something like that will be your option.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
Best Buy currently has an awesome deal for a Panasonic TC-P50UT50 along with a free Xbox 360 250gb Model for $849. The TV is usually sold for $1000 and the XBOX sells for $299 so it is $400 off. It is in the current Best Buy Weekly Flier. If you have an Xbox, you could always sell it or sell your older one to offset the purchase.
Cheers,
AD
That is a sweet deal. If you have a light controlled environment the UT50 is a spectacular set, little difference in PQ between the UT-ST50 this gen.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-27-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies guys!

I was also considering a 73" Mitsubishi DLP. According to a chart I've been looking at, with a viewing distance of 10 ft, the minimum size would be 40" with a maximum size of 80" so 73" should be "okay". However, how is the picture quality/reliability compared to the mid-tier Plasmas and LED displays?
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Displays , Lg Cinema Screen 47lm6700 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page