46" CRT rear projection to plasma... what size?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-04-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be looking to buy a plasma TV to replace my 46" CRT rear projection (widescreen 720p HD model). I am happy with the size of the screen currently but I realize that the TV is 24" deep and 6 inches from the back of the wall (so I can reach behind) a flatscreen would be much closer to the wall and therefore be extra distance from the screen to viewing area. The main couch is currently 9 feet from the screen, I watch a variety of programming from Netflix to SD TV and bluray. I am thinking a 50" might be too small? Panasonic is the only one I see that has a 55" model (correct me if I'm wrong) otherwise I'd have to jump up to a 60" which seems big although it could be the right size? I'd be looking at the budget 1080p sets from Panasonic, Samsung, or LG (I don't really see any other brands to choose from). Any help or recommendations appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStanic View Post

I will be looking to .... replace my 46" CRT.... The main couch is currently 9 feet from the screen, I watch a variety of programming from Netflix to SD TV and bluray. I am thinking a 50" might be too small? Panasonic is the only one I see that has a 55" model (correct me if I'm wrong) otherwise I'd have to jump up to a 60" which seems big ...

You should get more replies if you follow suggestion to post under the Plasma board.

FWIW, we sit 9ft from a 60ST50: blu-rays and HDDVDs are wonderful. Some SD DVDs and "HD TV" programs are Quite Good - but most of BOTH of these sources range from "Acceptable" to "Annoyingly Bad."
And our experience with Streaming Media, via Amazom, suggests that it is not yet ready for Prime Time: so-called HD feeds are marginal, and the SD content we've sampled is truly horrid.

My wife is largely impervious to moderately-bad PQ, but MY best solution for marginal programming is to Move Back to about 12 feet from the screen. The added distance "hides" a lot of flaws. Either that, or we simply move to our LR, & watch the show(s) on our older 50" Pan: the smaller screen size has a similar effect to moving farther away, in that source flaws are more difficult to spot.

Within some Reasonable Boundaries (although still apparently fairly wide ones), this is a matter of personal preference / sensitivity / expectations.

But it does make some sense to consider Viewing Distance / Visual Acuity / and Primary Source Material when selecting the size panel you will buy.

Best of Luck!
post #3 of 3 Old 09-04-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hmm well I thought this was a pretty simple topic (calculating the difference in screen size from 46inch RPHD to something larger in flatscreen due to the difference in depth) but anyways I will ask in the plasma area.

thanks!
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Projection Screens , Projectors , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page