8K by 4K or Octo HD - the real SUHDTV technology - Page 26 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
post #751 of 754 Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
All film and video industry segments understand this---always have. You don't (ideally) film hoping and praying you don't eventually have to crop or zoom later.
Always have? Even in the pre-digital era? Excluding Super-35 and Super-16 formats (where they would transfer to another film anyway) in the pre-digital era they'd have had to rephotograph the film and losing a generation as well as the PQ loss due to the zoom. Or do you just mean in the days since digital intermediates/digitally shot film/TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 754 Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post
Who and how many people are filming in 8K? Not very many, i can guarantee you that.
NHK is the main one who has been shooting/doing test broadcasts in 7.68K - as well as partnering with the BBC. I don't know of any film companies shooting digitally at around 8K. Maybe the IMAX shot scenes in films (on film) are around that - perhaps they scan at something like that? So film companies film on film in 35mm/IMAX etc. which may sometimes (occasionally) be scanned at 8K - or is that just for archiving? But the TV comanies are the ones actually/who will actually be shooting in 7.68K.
Quote:
Do you know how big a 8K reso file is? TB's.
Not necessarily. eg. if NHK broadcast 2 hours of 7.68K at 100Mb/s (ie. compressed) it would only be around 87.89GB.
Quote:
You would have to house a small data center to achieve editing 8K film on a regular basis.
Well they're going to have 7.68K TV on a regular basis in Japan (maybe other places too?) in about 5 years.
post #753 of 754 Unread Today, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post
Always have? Even in the pre-digital era?
Joe, can we set aside the pedantry? We are talking about the digital domain.

If you believe you can win an argument by stating that scientists "often" get things wrong, all you're doing is selectively ignoring the overwhelming legion of things they have gotten right. Viewed as an aggregate, scientists very very rarely get things wrong.
post #754 of 754 Unread Today, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post
NHK is the main one who has been shooting/doing test broadcasts in 7.68K - as well as partnering with the BBC. I don't know of any film companies shooting digitally at around 8K. Maybe the IMAX shot scenes in films (on film) are around that - perhaps they scan at something like that? So film companies film on film in 35mm/IMAX etc. which may sometimes (occasionally) be scanned at 8K - or is that just for archiving? But the TV comanies are the ones actually/who will actually be shooting in 7.68K.

Not necessarily. eg. if NHK broadcast 2 hours of 7.68K at 100Mb/s (ie. compressed) it would only be around 87.89GB.

Well they're going to have 7.68K TV on a regular basis in Japan (maybe other places too?) in about 5 years.
Yes. On a broader note, one of the things people seem to have the hardest time with is in accepting that existing bottlenecks (storage size, bandwidth, cpu speed, etc., etc.) doalways loosen over time. I even see this within myself when helping someone manage a functional spec. I routinely catch my knee-jerk reaction when reacting to "terabytes" as some kind of "OMG, NO!" limiter, but in reality, terabytes just are not that big of a deal these days.

If you believe you can win an argument by stating that scientists "often" get things wrong, all you're doing is selectively ignoring the overwhelming legion of things they have gotten right. Viewed as an aggregate, scientists very very rarely get things wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page