8K by 4K or Octo HD - the real SUHDTV technology - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #811 of 821 Old 10-07-2015, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 821 Old 10-15-2015, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #813 of 821 Old 10-22-2015, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 45
So I'm not really sold on the need for an 8k TV (although for monitors potentially useful)...I could see it being useful with projectors for sure (although I think OLED will be cheap enough that I'm not positive projectors will gain much traction).

Does anyone wonder how 8k content would be delivered though? I have 150mbps internet, which should be good enough for it...but currently netflix 4k streams are 15mbps. What does it matter the resolution of the TV if you can't get the content providers to actually up the bitrate!

I can't imagine consumers in general will adopt another disc format. I'm glad UHD blu-ray exists...but the writing has been on the wall for a while with regard to discs. Convenience over quality. Without sufficient demand for discs, and content providers being stingy with bandwidth...I'm not sure how this will get off the ground realistically. I'm guessing this is at least 6 years away though so who knows.
post #814 of 821 Old 10-22-2015, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiroth View Post
So I'm not really sold on the need for an 8k TV (although for monitors potentially useful)...I could see it being useful with projectors for sure (although I think OLED will be cheap enough that I'm not positive projectors will gain much traction).

Does anyone wonder how 8k content would be delivered though? I have 150mbps internet, which should be good enough for it...but currently netflix 4k streams are 15mbps. What does it matter the resolution of the TV if you can't get the content providers to actually up the bitrate!

I can't imagine consumers in general will adopt another disc format. I'm glad UHD blu-ray exists...but the writing has been on the wall for a while with regard to discs. Convenience over quality. Without sufficient demand for discs, and content providers being stingy with bandwidth...I'm not sure how this will get off the ground realistically. I'm guessing this is at least 6 years away though so who knows.
people like you are destroying physical media streams are low quality can't replace authentic blu-ray technology
post #815 of 821 Old 10-23-2015, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post
people like you are destroying physical media streams are low quality can't replace authentic blu-ray technology
^^^^Is there a sentence in that?

---------Thought #AUY----------
Data is not Information
Information is not Knowledge
Knowledge is not Wisdom
post #816 of 821 Old 10-23-2015, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
^^^^Is there a sentence in that?
oh I'm sorry for not having perfect grammar or know how to write sentences in the proper sense. did you not understand what I said.

I'm not here to cause an argument
tgm1024 likes this.
post #817 of 821 Old 10-23-2015, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiroth View Post

So you took a comment about me lamenting the loss of physical media to streams (see:music, and actually, physical media is arguably already sort of dead to the general public), and saying that since streaming is here to stay regardless of what we do, it's even more unfortunate that they're streaming at such low bit-rates (4K at 25mbit would probably look pretty good).

Somehow this makes me a "hater" of physical media lol. I guess that's half true. I'd rather stream Netflix at 100mbit than clutter up my place with discs that have unskippable piracy warnings and trailers, but I definitely appreciate the quality boost physical media brings, believe me.
post #818 of 821 Old 03-08-2016, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Octo HD is coming big: Some of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games will be covered in 8K ‘Super Hi-Vision’ (for Japan), and there will be 4K Ultra HD versions created for testing and comparison purposes. The 8K versions for Japan will include ‘immersive’ audio using what Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) describe as “3D 22.2 channel audio surround sound”. Some 130 hours (out of a claimed 7,000 hours of actual TV coverage) of 8K Super Hi-Vision will be beamed from Brazil to Japan, including live coverage of the opening and closing ceremonies, as well as Swimming, Judo, Athletics, Basketball and Football. In addition, an ENG camera crew will capture select sports at other venues, “including the Olympic spirit and atmosphere” for re-play later.
post #819 of 821 Old 03-08-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Eh Japan doesn't influence TV tech. anywhere else.

Even when it dominated TV manufacturing, which it no longer is.
post #820 of 821 Old 03-08-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Eh Japan doesn't influence TV tech. anywhere else.

Even when it dominated TV manufacturing, which it no longer is.
NHK were collaborating on 7.68K tests quite a while ago with the BBC. It also modified display(s) for higher frame rate tests for the EBU. NHK's image resolution of 7680x4320 got put into the ITU recommendations and the DVB specs for a planned UHD resolution (now called UHD 3 using that res) where they're projecting it being broadcast around year 2020.

Last edited by Joe Bloggs; 03-08-2016 at 11:05 AM.
post #821 of 821 Old 03-08-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Well lets see if they even have 4K broadcasts here, let alone 8K.

It could be in the spec. but that doesn't reflect market realities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page