Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
it will take about $1000 to fix my Kuro (power supply not functioning)!
I haven't been paying attention to TVs lately. I know it's subjective, but do to guys think it's crazy to spend that much money to fix a TV?
I'm tempted to jump ship and look at the newest Sony.
What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
ya i would have to think about that, i just had to spend 1k to repair my car but since it is paid off, i have to
look at that expense as being cheaper than making monthly loan payments.

don't limit yourself to only a sony replacement. best sets available currently are the panny vt50 plasma and the
sharp elite (very expensive),. see what you can get those puppies for, factor in your financial situation and decide
whether it's better to spend 1k on repairing a set that is still one of the best around or getting newer model.

neflixis our nemesis
post #3 of 20 Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I can never remember the stupid model numbering Pioneer USA used. If that's a first generation Kuro (Pioneer 8G) you may be happy with a Panasonic VT50. If it's a second generation Kuro (Pioneer 9G) you will be disappointed with the black levels on the Panasonic.

The only Sony that is remotely comparable are the HX9 series LCDs. (latest is HX950) Viewing angle, as with all LCDs, is terrible in the dark (acceptable in a bright room at medium angles) but black levels and contrast will be better and it should otherwise outperform the Panasonic. Probably costs a lot more too.

If you really like the Kuro, it may be worth repairing it, but that's only the first thing that has gone wrong, it can only go downhill from here.
If you are happy to spend an extremely high amount of money on first-generation technology, Samsung and LG claim they will have OLED panels out by the end of the year.
post #4 of 20 Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
That's a 50" 9.5th generation (it's also a monitor, might help to explain the different modeling convention used)...VT50's black levels will definitely not compare, but you might appreciate the larger size (if you have the room)?
post #5 of 20 Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, I went to a store to take a look at the sharp elite and some other led panels and I immediately decided to repair the Kuro. Reason is that I can't stand the color and contrast change when viewing off center - I almost never sit dead center.
Even with the acclaimed Sharp Elite I noticed a remarkable shift by moving even slightly (I now don't understand the claims I read over web). I saw the Panasonic vt50 and it looks nice but it doesn't make sense to spend more for it to replace the Kuro.

I scheduled the repair for now. When the oled becomes available at an affordable price (for me), I'll think about change.

Thanks for the replies.
Cheers
post #6 of 20 Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I think you're nuts. You can get a brand new Panny 50ST50 for around a grand. They look awesome. The black levels are fantastic. I would at least look at one before getting your old pioneer fixed.

I understand Pioneer made some great TVs, but if you ask me, their greatness is exagerrated. The new Pannys come real close performance wise.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM

^ Not really an exaggeration then, is it? Four years on, and the latest Panasonics are finally getting real close? wink.gif
post #8 of 20 Old 09-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^ Not really an exaggeration then, is it? Four years on, and the latest Panasonics are finally getting real close? wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Just like 240Hz LED/LCD's are approaching the motion resolution with that of a PDP

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #9 of 20 Old 09-20-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I think you're nuts. You can get a brand new Panny 50ST50 for around a grand. They look awesome. The black levels are fantastic. I would at least look at one before getting your old pioneer fixed.
I understand Pioneer made some great TVs, but if you ask me, their greatness is exagerrated. The new Pannys come real close performance wise.

No thanks... Even for the same money, I'll keep the Kuro.

I looked at two Panasonic panels, including their top of the line, and I can't justify the extra expense.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I have to agree the Panny's are looking good, no need to romanticize over the Kuro anymore.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
I would buy a st50
post #12 of 20 Old 09-23-2012, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How can it cost $1000 to repair or replace a plasma power supply board??
post #13 of 20 Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 52
My 10 year old Pioneer 433cmx had a recall years ago on the power supply and they sent a repair man to replace it for free before it failed.Its still running good as new today.

Matt
post #14 of 20 Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

The black levels are not "fantastic" compared to the second generation Kuros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post

So, I went to a store to take a look at the sharp elite and some other led panels and I immediately decided to repair the Kuro. Reason is that I can't stand the color and contrast change when viewing off center - I almost never sit dead center.
Even with the acclaimed Sharp Elite I noticed a remarkable shift by moving even slightly (I now don't understand the claims I read over web).
If you are viewing in a bright room, contrast shift is not nearly so noticeable on LCD panels. When you are in the dark it is terrible, especially local dimmed LED panels. I don't know why people try to argue against that fact.

While I would still be wary spending $1K on repairing a discontinued TV, it seems like you have made the right choice if viewing angle is a concern and you don't want to downgrade to a Panasonic. (Personally I feel the best LED backlit LCDs exceed the Kuro in a number of other performance areas which are important to me, but viewing angle is not one of them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

biggrin.gif
Just like 240Hz LED/LCD's are approaching the motion resolution with that of a PDP
With scanning backlights and 3D panels, LCD has matched or exceeded PDP motion resolution for a number of years now with lower image persistence.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I thought I made the right decision, but, it turned out that after two weeks of waiting I had to call them out to find out that the part is back-ordered. I'm very disappointed and what a terrible service, not even the decency of notifying me, despite such an overpriced service fee they ask.

What to do now!!
post #16 of 20 Old 10-02-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Used Kuro?
post #17 of 20 Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I have to agree the Panny's are looking good, no need to romanticize over the Kuro anymore.

Romanticizing? Panasonic has made some nice improvements but still haven't beat the last Kuro in over all picture quality or black level. smile.gif
post #18 of 20 Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

Romanticizing? Panasonic has ma
de some nice improvements but still haven't beat the last Kuro in over all picture quality or black level. smile.gif

They seem to be making improvements each year along with price drops. Lets hope 2013 is the year when they dethrone the Kuro!
post #19 of 20 Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 AM

As a Kuro owner, I hope so. They will have only had 5 hears to deliver the deathblow. smile.gif
post #20 of 20 Old 10-13-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hey, on ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-AXY1203-POWER-SUPPLY-BOARD-FOR-PRO-101FD-/330746378666?pt=US_TV_Boards_Parts_Components&hash=item4d020539aa
$170 for the part.cool.gif

Make a couple of calls to local repair shops, you may get lucky and actually get it fixed for a lot less than $1 smile.gif

Gman
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Pioneer Elite Signature Series Pro 101fd 50 Plasma T
Gear in this thread - 101fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page