Wall Mount that drops down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys (and gals)

I am looking for a wall mount for a 50+" TV that can be pulled 'down' when I would like the TV to be at a lower level.

My current wall mount is above the fireplace and we find that we get cricked necks when sitting on the couch and looking up at it, any suggestions?

Thanks

Brit

Never, ever, get in the way of a man and his electronics, errr I mean Woman...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM

Liked: 44
What about a tilting wall mount?
post #3 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Lee

Maybe I am using the wrong search terms but I can't find a 'Tilting' one, could you send me a link to an example perhaps?

Thanks

Brit

post #4 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritOverseas View Post

Lee
Maybe I am using the wrong search terms but I can't find a 'Tilting' one, could you send me a link to an example perhaps?
Thanks
Brit

Like this one - has a downward tilt of 15 degrees:

http://www.toptvmounts.com/collections/tilt-tv-mounts/products/tilt-tv-mount-32-60
post #5 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Lee

I already have this type of mount installed, but unfortunately this only helps with the viewing angle and does not help with having to look 'Up' at the TV all the time when you are on the couch. What I am looking for is a mount that allows me to lower the position of the TV itself to create a better line of site angle to the TV.

Brit

post #6 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritOverseas View Post

Hi Lee
I already have this type of mount installed, but unfortunately this only helps with the viewing angle and does not help with having to look 'Up' at the TV all the time when you are on the couch. What I am looking for is a mount that allows me to lower the position of the TV itself to create a better line of site angle to the TV.
Brit

Here you go:

http://www.wallmountworld.com/Fireplace_TV_Mount_30_vertical_tarvel_p/wmw-pull-down.htm
post #7 of 9 Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Lee

Absolutely perfect, pricey, but I suppose that is the cost of not having a cricked neck and having to go see the doc!!

Thanks for your help.

Brit

post #8 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

I have had one of these for about a year or so and am very pleased with it. It is extremely well made and is very easy to move up and down. Adjusting the hydraulics to match the weight of your TV is very easy. All adjustments are very flexible.

On their website, the picture on the side of the white fireplace wall gives an excellent representation of the product. As the picture shows, do not expect the TV to be tight up against the wall in the "up" position.

I have a Samsung 55" E7000. With the narrow bezel it looks very nice floating out from the wall. It is 17" away from my built in gas fireplace when in the viewing position. Despite that distance, a lot of heat hits the back of the TV. We rarely use the fire, but when we do, I hang a home made protective fireproof screen from the arm of the mount. Makes me feel better and you can't see it when viewing. (At least from my seat you can't).

The unit is very heavy. Do not try and install on a brick wall unless you really know what you are doing. Also pre plan the wiring very carefully.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Norde

Thanks for your input. Although this looks to be exactly what I want, I noticed that the manufacturer essentially 'pays' people who buy their product to give them positive reviews by giving them a rebate, so any unbiased comments make me feel a bit better about coughing up this amount of cash for a mount....

And double thanks, because you made me think about my wiring and wall mounting a bit more as well.

First, I have an Audio Authority AVAtrix CAT5 matrix switcher installed, which gives me a 'Component' wall plate next to the TV (Behind it) that would require a set of component leads to go from the wall plate to the input to the TV. Some of these cables can be quite 'Fat' (for use of a better word) and would obviously be required to run down the mounts arms somewhere, is there room for this? Obviously I don't want to have an ugly cable tie wrapped to the outside if possible.

Second, I have a newly built home (last 5 years) which in places does not have the wall studs in 'Exactly' 16" width placements (damn builder). When I put up my current TV, this wasn't too bad as I was able to finagle the screws into place (the mount obviously has specifically placed holes based on common stud placements). Question is, you said that this is very heavy, so do you think I would have to make sure all 4 heavy duty screws are in place in the studs, or could I use a combination of the heavy duty screws (where I can get them in) and the drywall type anchors in all other places I can get them in? Wouldn't want the TV to fall on the kids heads after all!!

Brit

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General