Why do Plasma's do this. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Kind of a duplicate post form the e7000 forum but it hasn't gotten any real input.

Why does my display have the red and blue lines on the side of the screen as shown here. The pattern is all blue and red pixels on from the WOW disk? It also shows up on other content as well.

Also look at the boarders of the white letters and you will see the red and blue again

Need to zoom in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
So you think all plasmas must do that?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 17 Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I don't know. Over on the e7000 e8000 thread it was stated that it was normal. I don't think that should be the case, it seems like a flaw to me. I have a service call for tomorrow to change out the wifi board, and I asked them about what these pictures show when talking to with them. They said that this is normal, but also said there is an adjustment for it. Thus I am somewhat confused.

Like I said it seems like a flaw, but is it just my individual display or something that plasma's do?
post #4 of 17 Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Liked: 26
Try a panny plasma they don't do that haha. Not to bash but most Samsung owners I know always find something to be "the norm " that isn't how things are supposed to be (most notably) their soap opera effect on their LEDs

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

post #5 of 17 Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM View Post

Quote:

I don't know. Over on the e7000 e8000 thread it was stated that it was normal. I don't think that should be the case, it seems like a flaw to me. I have a service call for tomorrow to change out the wifi board, and I asked them about what these pictures show when talking to with them. They said that this is normal, but also said there is an adjustment for it. Thus I am somewhat confused.

Like I said it seems like a flaw, but is it just my individual display or something that plasma's do?

Well, I think I saw one guy say it was normal on that thread...floridaboy? And someone reporting that someone on a forum in Brazil agreed? That's the whole of the information/research? Can't say I've heard of it before and haven't seen this with my set, but I normally don't stand that close to the screen either. Have you searched the subject elsewhere or just posted in this thread?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #6 of 17 Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, I think I saw one guy say it was normal on that thread...floridaboy? And someone reporting that someone on a forum in Brazil agreed? That's the whole of the information/research? Can't say I've heard of it before and haven't seen this with my set, but I normally don't stand that close to the screen either. Have you searched the subject elsewhere or just posted in this thread?

I can see it from my seat when its all red and blue pixes on. What I also notice is when white text scrolls across the screen in has a leading yellow edge as if the green and blue are in sync but the red is missing. When you pause it, it goes away. That doesn't seem they way it should be. I googled but couldn't find anything else on it. I would think it would create more of a stir here, if it was problamatic to all sets. That's what I'm trying to find out, is there something wrong with my panel or if that is the norm.

Any other Samsung owners out there with input on this?

Also posted on the WOW thread to RBFilms since it is his source materal I notice it the most with. Haven't heard anything from him yet.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I can see it from my seat when its all red and blue pixes on. What I also notice is when white text scrolls across the screen in has a leading yellow edge as if the green and blue are in sync but the red is missing. When you pause it, it goes away. That doesn't seem they way it should be. I googled but couldn't find anything else on it. I would think it would create more of a stir here, if it was problamatic to all sets. That's what I'm trying to find out, is there something wrong with my panel or if that is the norm.

Any other Samsung owners out there with input on this?

Also poster on the WOW thread to RBFilms since it is his source materal I notice it the most with. Haven't heard anything from him yet.

Why are you watching all red and blue pixels? Possibly has to do with the mode/settings you're using...have you experimented with various modes/settings to see if it is only present sometimes vs all the time? I briefly searched, didn't see anything along these lines for such an everyday thing as floridaboy said. Maybe one of the more experienced guys/calibrators can comment on this. News to me in any case. Good luck.

post #8 of 17 Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Why are you watching all red and blue pixels? Possibly has to do with the mode/settings you're using...have you experimented with various modes/settings to see if it is only present sometimes vs all the time? I briefly searched, didn't see anything along these lines for such an everyday thing as floridaboy said. Maybe one of the more experienced guys/calibrators can comment on this. News to me in any case. Good luck.

Its a test pattern used for checking uniformity and viewing angle. However the Samsung display has its own internal test pattern and you can see it there as well.

post #9 of 17 Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

Try a panny plasma they don't do that haha. ...

There was a series of posts on one of the Panasonic threads (either on AVS or Elsewhere - don't recall now) pertaining to a row of colored pixels showing up along either Vertical edge of the screen.

Don't recall the colors - but recall that they were different between the L Vert Edge & and the R Vert Edge - however, & FWIW, everyone who bothered to check confirmed that they could see the effect, given the right background AND a Close Enough viewing distance.

Had never noticed this effect, so was doubtful upon first reading the post - but upon getting home was able to confirm that ALL THREE of our Pan plasmas show this thin row of color if you are willing to Examine the panel with enough care.

As we had never before noticed this, and still do not in any type of normal programming, simply filed it away as an interesting but immaterial attribute.

When we move our Viewing Distance close enough to be able to readily discern Every Individual Pixel, perhaps it will seem more important.... eek.gif
post #10 of 17 Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I'll have to get my butt off the couch and get a few inches from my panel to see if I, too, have the effect. So it's just on the right side of the panel when white is on screen to the right edge?

Now that I think about it, what's the deal with all blue and red pixels, tho, how does a red line appear there? Just on the far right of the blue pixels?

post #11 of 17 Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

The tech came out and replace my main processor and the wifi part, (wasn't a board looked like a dongle) and said that the "problem" I was seeing was normal and within specs for Samsung.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Maybe I'll have to get my butt off the couch and get a few inches from my panel to see if I, too, have the effect. So it's just on the right side of the panel when white is on screen to the right edge?
Now that I think about it, what's the deal with all blue and red pixels, tho, how does a red line appear there? Just on the far right of the blue pixels?

It was a test pattern from the Disney WOW disk.

Blue line on the left red line on the right. After replaceing the board it is seems less evident for regular viewing, but still can see it on the test patterns from my seat.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:

Why are you watching all red and blue pixels?

This thread, captured beautifully in a handful of words. smile.gif

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #14 of 17 Old 10-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Are there any image enhancement modes you can try turning off or reducing? I'm wondering if edge-enhancement or anti-jaggy processing is causing this.

It reminds me of a technique used in video games since the early 80s to smooth the jagginess of diagonal white lines on CRTs. A pixel was 3 phosphor elements, RGB. All 3 are lit up to make a white pixel. But to make the white pixel look a little wider, without going to 2 full pixels, you could make the pixel on the left B, or the pixel on the right R. In the first case, you get BRGB. Your mind made this look like a slightly wider white pixel. This effectively doubled horizontal resolution for white objects and helped smooth out jagginess of diagonals. But, if it was done backwards: R__RGB, it just looked like a red dot off to the left of the white. Or RGB__B. I'm not saying something is being done "backwards". It just reminds me of this. Anyways, check and see if edge-enhancement is set too high. This can cause ghosting which maybe is showing up as these red and blue lines on a plasma.

Microsoft patented that technique to smooth fonts in the 90s. I remember thinking that's odd, since video games had doing this for 15 years. Whatever...

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #15 of 17 Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

It was a test pattern from the Disney WOW disk.

Blue line on the left red line on the right. After replaceing the board it is seems less evident for regular viewing, but still can see it on the test patterns from my seat.

Only on this one disc do you experience the phenomenon? Oh, and the built in test pattern...but not in other content? At a normal distance?

post #16 of 17 Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
...because thats how pixels work to create color...
post #17 of 17 Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Only on this one disc do you experience the phenomenon? Oh, and the built in test pattern...but not in other content? At a normal distance?

I think it’s noticeable when looking at a static image, thus with real viewing habits it would be rare to see it. Also like most things with our toys if we look for something we're going to find it. I just happened to notice it when running the test pattern and it just looked like the red and blue pixels wire misaligned on each edge. I knew each pixel was made of three sub-pixels. I didn't realized that these sub-pixels were aligned in such a way that the red and blue pixels on their respective sides could appear as they do.

I just wanted to make sure that this was normal and not a bad panel.

Thanks for the replies.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page