Opinions on Mounting Height - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking about moving my tv to above the fireplace. I'm not liking the layout of the room with where it's at. The thing is that the fireplace mantle is about 65" tall. So the bottom of the TV would be about 68" tall. The seating position would probably be atleat 12 feet away. Is this too high? Opinions please. I've attached a pic and thinking about putting it above the mantle where the clock is. The TV is a 55" led.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
That would put dead center about what, 6.5' up? Too early to calculate the angle from 12' back but depending on your tv the viewing angle may be an issue as far as pq goes. Personally, I've never been a fan of tv's above fireplaces (too many visual distractions around the tv and difficult to install, but not impossible, adequate bias lighting) but that's just me. Maybe make a cardboard replica of the tv size and place it above the fireplace to see at least if there is any neck discomfort looking up.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I like the cardboard idea. I'll give that a try.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 196
It would be too high for me. I like it when my eyes are about 25% above the bottom of the TV.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Liked: 12
If you don't have to don't do it.

Now In my summer house I HAD to and it's not bad and since I recently gutted it and while the walls were open I ran 2" pvc pipes for any and all wires. So it looks awesome and is great from a space perspective but I do enjoy the cabinet standing pdps at home. I would say regular cabinet height is a 10 and over the fireplace is a 7 on my scale.

Now some will tell you heat, soot etc. are major problems. Don't listen to any of that. Unless you have an improperly running FP it will be fine from that perspective.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebernazz View Post

Now some will tell you heat, soot etc. are major problems. Don't listen to any of that. Unless you have an improperly running FP it will be fine from that perspective.

Maybe, but having a fire while watching a tv above is very distractive from a pq point of view. No fire, no problem. But....
post #7 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
If I recall correctly the theory on proper placement of a flat panel, or any display, is that it should be placed so when seated normally the height of your eye from the floor should equal the center of the screen.

Now I prefer look a little down so I mounted my panel about 16" off the floor, works well seated, laying on the sofa or sitting on the floor. Had some people over last weekend to watch a movie or two and all said they much prefer the height of my display to having one over the fireplace. 6 out of 6 all disliked looking up. I agree, try the cardboard cutout and look at it for some time as if you were watching a movie, see how your neck feels...
post #8 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 01:23 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc847 View Post

I'm thinking about moving my tv to above the fireplace. I'm not liking the layout of the room with where it's at. The thing is that the fireplace mantle is about 65" tall. So the bottom of the TV would be about 68" tall. The seating position would probably be atleat 12 feet away. Is this too high? Opinions please. I've attached a pic and thinking about putting it above the mantle where the clock is. The TV is a 55" led.

Yes the recommended screen height is where the centerline of the screen is level with your eyeballs when you're seated in your viewing position. With my relatively low couch that places the bottom of my 50 incher about 16 inches above the floor, hovering over my low credenza.

How about placing your LED TV on a credenza to the immediate left of the fireplace instead of above the fireplace ?

My other thought is to remove that huge tall mantle and build a new one that's a few feet lower, which will enable the TV to be mounted at a more advantageous height. Or maybe just modify the fireplace by removing the center mantle filler, shorten/modify the columns, then move the shelf down a few feet so it spans across the top of the tiles above the opening. That shelf looks way too high even without having a TV above it so placing a TV way up there would look silly. Like MattL, everybody i know who has mounted their TVs higher up above a tall fireplace don't really like it that high up but most of em had no other suitable location to place their big flat TV in those particular rooms.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #9 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
It's personal taste but I agree with Randy, the mantle seems a bit out of proportion for the room. If you really need to mount the TV there I'd opt to go very plain and remove everything but the tile and dress that off with a bit of simple trim. As it is your eye is drawn to many different things in that area.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page