Help me choose a TV: DLP vs. LED vs. Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just sold my Mitsubishi DLP 65" 65C9 hoping for a sweet deal on a new TV on black friday. I missed all of the doorbuster crazy cheap deals so now I'm looking at 3 TV's. I don't care about 3D or Smart TV. Our living room is pretty big, the couch is like 13-14 feet from the TV. I pretty much always watch in the dark. What would you guys go with?

First I was thinking stay with DLP, just go bigger. The only thing that bothered me about my old DLP was you couldn't lay in the floor and watch because the picture would get pretty dark. Also the DSE (dirty screen effect) make the picture look kind of crappy with some content. I watch alot of NBA and the courts sometimes would get it pretty bad.

Then I looked at the Vizio 65" LED but I've heard it has banding and some light leakage and flashlighting and all that.

Then I looked at the Panny 60" plasma but I'm not sure if losing 5" of size from what I had would bother me that much. 60" plasma vs 73" DLP is a pretty big size difference.

VIZIO M650VSE 65-inch Razor LED Smart FHDTV

I can get this TV for $1088.

or

Panasonic TC-P60U50 60-Inch 600Hz Plasma HDTV

I can get this TV for $806 from Panasonic.com.

or

Mitsubishi WD-73742 73-Inch 3D DLP Home Cinema HDTV

I can get this TV for around $850-$900.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dude, where are you seeing the 73742 for that price, I am thinking of getting one? am actually in the process of making the same decision as yourself!
post #3 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogooner View Post

Dude, where are you seeing the 73742 for that price, I am thinking of getting one? am actually in the process of making the same decision as yourself!
Actually it's not the 73742, it's the 73C12 from Dell. It doesn't have 3D, which doesn't matter to me. Not sure if that's a dealbreaker for you. It also only has 2 HDMI instead of 3. Not sure if anything else is different. But it seems like deals on DLPs are pretty frequent, I bet there will be a few good deals on them before Christmas.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks appreciate it, I'm on the fence a bit with 3d, whenever I try it in the store it starts to give me a headache!!
post #5 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Not considering the specific models, but just going by your liking to watch from a floor position, I believe only plasma will satisfy you. Plasma uses more energy, needs a modicum of light control, and produces heat, but can't be beat in terms of off axis viewing. cool.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Not considering the specific models, but just going by your liking to watch from a floor position, I believe only plasma will satisfy you. Plasma uses more energy, needs a modicum of light control, and produces heat, but can't be beat in terms of off axis viewing. cool.gif
Thanks for the input. I think my plan is to go get the Panasonic Plasma from Wal-Mart. I like their extremely easy 90 day return policy in case I don't like it. But I think I will. I just wish it was a 65".
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General