Smart TV vs "Dumb TV" + Roku box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there anything that I get more by buying a "smart tv" vs getting a "dumb" tv hooked up to a Roku box?

Not only do I have a Roku box I also have a PS3 console so I am curious as to the extra value a Smart TV would buy me that could justify the added cost.

I also ask, are the content providers from the different manufacturers the same or similar to say from Samsung, LG, Panasonic and do they approach the offerings that Roku has?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburger View Post

Is there anything that I get more by buying a "smart tv" vs getting a "dumb" tv hooked up to a Roku box?
Not only do I have a Roku box I also have a PS3 console so I am curious as to the extra value a Smart TV would buy me that could justify the added cost.
I also ask, are the content providers from the different manufacturers the same or similar to say from Samsung, LG, Panasonic and do they approach the offerings that Roku has?

IMO, the manufacturers such as Panasonic, Samsung, etc. generally a worse selection of content then say Roku or WDTV and especially the PS3. The one thing you have to consider is that most of the better performing FP's in terms of PQ are going to have some smart functionality. That being said the U50 from Panasonic is a great "dumb" TV and the EH6000 from Samsung is pretty decent performer if you're looking for an LCD.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 4 Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburger View Post

Is there anything that I get more by buying a "smart tv" vs getting a "dumb" tv hooked up to a Roku box?....

As far as "Smart TV" (streaming / internet access) is concerned, would agree that you are probably better off - at least in the long run - with an external device, such as the Roku.

What you DO generally get in a Smart TV - as opposed to a "Dumb TV" - is better PQ, and a greater number of Features (beyond "Smart" functionality), such as additional HDMI ports, AR filters, 3D (Whoopee - but some people seem to like it...), a better Remote - and likely a greater number of picture controls.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
^^^Agree, if you want the best pq you pretty much have to take "Smart" and even 3D whether you want it or not. It's like trying to buy a luxury car without leather upholstery or a glass "moonroof", both of which make shady parking places an absolute must in hot sunny climates.

Steve S.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page