Element TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering purchase of an Element 39" TV because of specifications and price but don't know anything about the company. Does anyone have information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by USABob View Post

I'm considering purchase of an Element 39" TV because of specifications and price but don't know anything about the company. Does anyone have information?

Element TV's are manufactured by a company called TongFang global, which is a northern Chinese based manufacturer. TongFang also makes TV's for a company called Seiki. Both Element and Seiki are self owned companies, yet neither manufacture their own LCD panels, or FP components. (Check tongfang-global.com/thtf.asp for more info if you'd like)

However one thing worth noting that I am very pleased to hear is that Element is the first brand in quite a while, that plans on assembling TV's here in the US. Keyword there is assembling because they're still using parts/panel that is manufactured in China. Regardless, I wish the best of luck to Element in their venture to bring TV fab plants back to the US and I hope it's a a successful one.

All of that being said, Element is a very entry-level, value oriented brand that still fits into the somewhat long list of "no name TV" brands today. I think you might be able to find better value from other brands like Vizio, Insignia, and JVC (which both JVC and Vizio are made by a company called Amtran Video Technologies, and Insignia is made a company called Hisense)
videobruce likes this.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
This appears to be good information. Much appreciated.
Merry Christmas!
post #4 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

Element TV's are manufactured by a company called TongFang global, which is a northern Chinese based manufacturer. TongFang also makes TV's for a company called Seiki. Both Element and Seiki are self owned companies, yet neither manufacture their own LCD panels, or FP components. (Check tongfang-global.com/thtf.asp for more info if you'd like)
However one thing worth noting that I am very pleased to hear is that Element is the first brand in quite a while, that plans on assembling TV's here in the US. Keyword there is assembling because they're still using parts/panel that is manufactured in China. Regardless, I wish the best of luck to Element in their venture to bring TV fab plants back to the US and I hope it's a a successful one.
All of that being said, Element is a very entry-level, value oriented brand that still fits into the somewhat long list of "no name TV" brands today. I think you might be able to find better value from other brands like Vizio, Insignia, and JVC (which both JVC and Vizio are made by a company called Amtran Video Technologies, and Insignia is made a company called Hisense)

Element's owner and President Michael O'Shaughnessy is an American who believes that moving production is not only good for the economy, but due to tariffs and higher production standards, they can build a better set in the US more economically. See this thread for more info: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1441293/element-electronics-moves-assembly-production-to-us#post_22624674

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5 of 10 Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Element's owner and President Michael O'Shaughnessy is an American who believes that moving production is not only good for the economy, but due to tariffs and higher production standards, they can build a better set in the US more economically. See this thread for more info: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1441293/element-electronics-moves-assembly-production-to-us#post_22624674
Ian wink.gif

I've seen the thread and I've also read several articles from sources such as Reuters, CBS News, and Al Jazeera. I'm impressed by what they're doing and I applaud them.
mailiang likes this.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #6 of 10 Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Element is a very entry-level, value oriented brand that still fits into the somewhat long list of "no name TV" brands today.
No matter where they are made or assembled, that tells me to stay away.
Wait until the purchase goes south and see what happens, or should I say what doesn't happen, simply because it isn't serviceable. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

No matter where they are made or assembled, that tells me to stay away.
Wait until the purchase goes south and see what happens, or should I say what doesn't happen, simply because it isn't serviceable. wink.gif

According to O'Shaughnessy, moving production will result in a better quality product due to higher US standards. This includes the future manufacturing of parts.

Ian wink.gif

post #8 of 10 Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
A company has to make a much larger investment to produce thier own components vs just assembling outsourced bits. I seriously doubt if Element is anywhere close to being in a position to go beyond assembly and into component production--that would require an R&D department and much more in the way of capital investment in production facilities. They've got a video up of a bunch of people assembling sets in what looks like a converted loft on large folding tables and scenes of boxes covered with American flag graphics piled up at WalMart. So far all I see is a rather cynical attempt to exploit the "Buy American" sentiment (one which I actually support, btw). It remains to be seen if Element actually has the capital or will to indeed go beyond final assembly in the US--somehow I doubt it. Let's seem them actually build panels or even thier own proprietary video processing boards in the US rather than slapping together a bunch of outsourced parts.

Steve S.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

A company has to make a much larger investment to produce thier own components vs just assembling outsourced bits. I seriously doubt if Element is anywhere close to being in a position to go beyond assembly and into component production--that would require an R&D department and much more in the way of capital investment in production facilities. They've got a video up of a bunch of people assembling sets in what looks like a converted loft on large folding tables and scenes of boxes covered with American flag graphics piled up at WalMart. So far all I see is a rather cynical attempt to exploit the "Buy American" sentiment (one which I actually support, btw). It remains to be seen if Element actually has the capital or will to indeed go beyond final assembly in the US--somehow I doubt it. Let's seem them actually build panels or even thier own proprietary video processing boards in the US rather than slapping together a bunch of outsourced parts.

Sorry Steve, let me clarify. O'Shaughnessy's plans include attracting electronic parts manufacturers to the US not manufacturing them himself. He is also chairman and principal owner of Revere Copper Products, one of America’s oldest manufacturing companies, started by Paul Revere himself! biggrin.gif If he can get long term commitments from the big box boys like Walmart, Target and Cosco... which are some of his biggest retailers and others, his goal to bring Television manufacturing back to the US, may not quite be that far a reach .

Regards,
Ian

post #10 of 10 Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
^^^Sounds more viable than Element making components on their own here. I know that Toyota, for example, sources many parts and assemblies on their US assembled cars and trucks from US mfgs. The HVAC assembies on Tacomas have been sourced from Delco, for example.

Steve S.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page