Zero motion blur gaming LCD has arrived!!! (Asus VG278H hack -- less motion blur than plasma) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1-2ms = 0 in my case. This sounds fantastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 12-24-2012, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 254
It’s too bad TV manufacturers don’t seem to care about this, and 30ms is about the best you can get from any TV with a decent panel. (Some older plasmas do 16ms)

Even the biggest monitors are too small.
post #33 of 33 Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

It’s too bad TV manufacturers don’t seem to care about this, and 30ms is about the best you can get from any TV with a decent panel. (Some older plasmas do 16ms)

Even the biggest monitors are too small.
I don't post often to this thread, but I have a popular thread on HowardForum Displays, so I've posted most of my "really interesting posts" there (beginning at around page 7 of the thread onwards).

At least one ASUS employee is paying attention to that thread. They may not be a TV manufacturer, but it's s start -- they're a display manufacturer. I never anticipated tremendous interest, but at 25,000 views and over 400 posts in one single thread in less than 3 weeks, it's on track to be one of HowardForum's most popular forum threads.

So manufacturers are starting to at least glance at what I'm doing, at least. Even if I'm not a Ph.D, they understand and appreciate the improved mainstream "Average User" awareness, that my blog is bringing out. Some of these niche videogamephile monitors have small manufacturing runs of only 10,000 or 100,000, so my posts probably helps a small uptick in their sales. I don't mind about this sort of stuff more than 0.1% of the market; if I raised awareness through my enthusiac hobby -- then I'm succeeding!

BTW, I also ordered a BENQ XL2411T for only a triple centennial (cheaper than I expected), so I will be pitting it head-to-head against the ASUS VG278H for fast-twitch-action videogame motion quality. However, I've been in touch with testers who own that display (ordered from the overclockers.co.uk site because it's not available in North America). One tester measured the MPRT of the XL2411T to be only 1.0ms when LightBoost was enabled (meaning BENQ was actually honest with their 1.0ms pixel response time quote). He reported that the ghosting / trailing / coronas / RTC artifacts nearly completely disappeared (more than 90% gone) when LightBoost was enabled. At 120Hz, on the BENQ, is less than 4ms of input lag (very game-friendly). Moving edges became razor-sharp even during fast 960 pixels/sec motion (16 pixels step per frame). This is the benchmark where we call it "zero motion blur" for video gaming purposes.

Some people with super vision (e.g. fighter pilots) may not see it as zero perceived motion blur but neither would an average medium-persistence CRT computer monitor to them (e.g. Sony FW9000 CRT). For "all practical purposes", achieving actual measurement of MPRT 1.0ms means that moving edges look razor sharp on an LCD at 960 pixels/sec motion, is "CRT look" -- zero motion blur from a videogamer's perspective. (It seems that MPRT 2.0ms is the start of when video gamers starts saying it looks like CRT -- see testimonials) The BENQ color quality was reported to be somewhat poor (crimson tint) and needs calibration from the Windows display profiles since the monitor's picture adjustments are locked during 3D mode (due to the manufacturer's need to have predictable pixel response curves for minimum crosstalk between refreshes), but it's still impressive to see true measured MPRT (Motion Picture Response Time) of only 1.0 millisecond for an LCD panel, made possible from the strobe backlight. The BENQ XL2411T manufacturer claim of 1.0ms for their LCD is surprisingly honest accurate, according to measurements made when the LightBoost strobe backlight is enabled. It's not native pixel response time, but that doesn't matter -- the strobe backlight made the 1.0ms MPRT honest and the strobe backlight successfully also eliminated most of the RTC artifacts (pixel transition bounce). Strobe backlights also reduces active shutter 3D crosstalk quite a bit. The pixel transition error is much smaller than expected with the 1ms BENQ LightBoost. These displays behaves as a true impulse-driven display to the human eyes. (from the vision science perspective, even if it's a poor/inaccurate emulation of CRT). Although they are full-screen strobes rather than sequential top-to-bottom scans (ala CRT), everybody agreed that the 120 strobes per second flickers far less than a 60 Hz CRT. Some people sensitive to flicker (the kind of people who hated CRT) won't like it, but it was not a problem for many gamers "who missed CRT gaming" from a motion blur perspective. I think the upcoming ASUS VG248QE (1ms) is similiar to the BENQ XL2411T, so this will be the fifth (or sixth) zero motion blur LCD on the market.

Someday, it will be nice to have all the best technologies (IPS LCD's, high-CRI backlights, optimized strobe backlight technologies) all in one display. For now, for computer monitors, we pick our poison (do we prefer good color if we want to watch movies? Or do we prefer excellent motion during competitive video games?)

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page