Best Used/New HDTV flatpanel under 700? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-16-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow its been a long time since I have been on here. The last time I was on here was the good old Sony CRT days (I had a kbr960)
Anyways so im looking for a HDTV around 50 inches. Coming from an CRT, picture quality is chief. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas27 View Post

Wow its been a long time since I have been on here. The last time I was on here was the good old Sony CRT days (I had a kbr960)
Anyways so im looking for a HDTV around 50 inches. Coming from an CRT, picture quality is chief. Thoughts?

I think hands down your best option is going to be the TC-P50U50 from Panasonic. It's a 50" no frills PDP. Great performance for the dollar. Best performance for the price range you're looking at, at least IMO. Check out the owners thread on here and see what you think. Cnet also did a a professional review on it and they were impressed by it as well.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 15 Old 12-16-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Up until 15 minutes ago I was set on buying a plasma. I read several threads about screen burn in even on the new plasmas. Im very responsible with my TV's, but the problem is my roommate would be on it more and he doesn't give a **** (he didn't know you needed to change oil in a car...) So what would be a good LCD panel as well? Im still very open to plasma. I wouldnt mind getting used or late model for cheap so I can get a better quality screen.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Up until 15 minutes ago I was set on buying a plasma. I read several threads about screen burn in even on the new plasmas. Im very responsible with my TV's, but the problem is my roommate would be on it more and he doesn't give a **** (he didn't know you needed to change oil in a car...) So what would be a good LCD panel as well? Im still very open to plasma. I wouldnt mind getting used or late model for cheap so I can get a better quality screen.

If you wanna go the LCD route you'll have to either do a 60Hz model, go with a CCFL backlight, go to a 46" screen instead of a 50" (which doesn't sound like it'd be a big deal to you) or do the used route, and I have no opinion on the used route. The LG 47CS570 is a CCFL, 120Hz LCD. The Samsung 46" EH6000 series is a direct backlit LED/LCD but that sits at the very top of your budget if that's alright. The Toshiba 50" L2200 is another full array LED/LCD but its only a 60Hz model. And the Samsung 46" E550 model is another CCFL LCD but its only a 60Hz as well.

Personally, even if you do have an irresponsible roommate, I wouldn't worry about burn it. Every display technology can suffer from IR. Burn in is a non-issue for plasma TV's IMO. Just something the doubters like to try and hang their hat on. Regardless, to each his own. If you go the LCD route the models I listed above I think are the best options for the size and price point you're looking at.

Here's a good burn in article
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20092238-1/is-plasma-hdtv-burn-in-a-problem/

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

post #5 of 15 Old 12-16-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

So I was looking at the UT50 aswell. How does this compare with the U50?
post #6 of 15 Old 12-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So I was looking at the UT50 aswell. How does this compare with the U50?

For all intents and purposes, it's identical except it adds the Smart TV and 3D. PQ for both is pretty darn identical. That being said, UT50 is still a spectacular TV for the dollar undoubtably.

post #7 of 15 Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. Now I have 4 TV's to research.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you for your help. Now I have 4 TV's to research.

Best of luck fellow north westerner! Enjoy the holidays! Especially with that brand new HD FP. biggrin.gif

post #9 of 15 Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Powers View Post

I always find it tough to pick a new TV with all the different technologies out there. Vizio seems to be a pretty good brand in my opinion. There not real costly but you get a lot of tv for your buck. I actually just got 3 of them to replace the TVs around my house. Remember to always check reviews on tvs at places like www.tvrevs.com and see what others have experienced with the TV your looking to get. Just my opinion.

Couldn't disagree more about Vizio. I avoid Vizio at all costs. I give them the edge only over brands like RCA, Westinghouse, Seiki, Polaroid, etc.

post #10 of 15 Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM

Also, you may want to throw basic LED FP into the mix (along with their *smart* and/or 3D LED cousins) - LED will beat plasma rather badly at the same resolution. (I'm not talking out of my hat; I've just replaced my Philips 42PF7320A/37B with a Sony KDL-40BX450. And to make sure it *wasn't* the picture source involved, I stuck with ClearQAM (which both sets support) and from the same source (Comcast of Prince George's County MD) - therefore, no 1080p involved and true apples-to-apples. This is the *same* Philips that chewed up and swallowed whole the 32" Sony WEGA CRT (a real Trinitron tube CRT - the same one in the 32XBR950, in fact - the only difference is in the ancilliary electronics) in our family room (which is still in service), so the Philips is normally no slouch - technically, this basic (though LED) Bravia is out of its weight class. Then how come the basic Bravia blows the Philips into next year? LED is no longer the second-cousin to plasma - not even *basic* LED.)
post #11 of 15 Old 12-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHammer21A View Post

Also, you may want to throw basic LED FP into the mix (along with their *smart* and/or 3D LED cousins) - LED will beat plasma rather badly at the same resolution. (I'm not talking out of my hat; I've just replaced my Philips 42PF7320A/37B with a Sony KDL-40BX450. And to make sure it *wasn't* the picture source involved, I stuck with ClearQAM (which both sets support) and from the same source (Comcast of Prince George's County MD) - therefore, no 1080p involved and true apples-to-apples. This is the *same* Philips that chewed up and swallowed whole the 32" Sony WEGA CRT (a real Trinitron tube CRT - the same one in the 32XBR950, in fact - the only difference is in the ancilliary electronics) in our family room (which is still in service), so the Philips is normally no slouch - technically, this basic (though LED) Bravia is out of its weight class. Then how come the basic Bravia blows the Philips into next year? LED is no longer the second-cousin to plasma - not even *basic* LED.)

Haha. This is comical. LCD beats plasma in no pertinent category. So absurd.

post #12 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHammer21A View Post

Compare that bx450 to an st/vt/gt panasonic or 6500/7000/8000 Samsung and then we will talk. You are comparing a "dinosaur" plasma to a modern LCD of course the LCD wins.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #13 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Best bang for your buck has to goto the Panasonic 50u50. It "only" has 2 HDMI inputs, but most folks that have a home theater setup won't have an issue with this, or for a bedroom can get by with 2. I just purchased and installed one a couple weeks ago for my aunt (finally replaced a 32" CRT), and I was VERY impressed with the TV for the $. Honestly, you can't beat it. I have a several yr old panasonic 54s1 and got a 60st50 this year, and pq wise it seems VERY comparable to the more expensive panasonic st50 line. The u50 doesn't have some little features like internet enabled and 3D, but I've never used either.. I was so impressed with the TV for the $ I just purchased one for my mother for christmas to replace her 40" samsung lcd that's 7+ yrs old.

PQ wise plasma is king, no question. Only reason to buy an lcd is if you want a smaller size. Sure plasma uses a little more electricity, but for a few more $/month for electricity, the better PQ is well worth it.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post

Best bang for your buck has to goto the Panasonic 50u50. It "only" has 2 HDMI inputs, but most folks that have a home theater setup won't have an issue with this, or for a bedroom can get by with 2. I just purchased and installed one a couple weeks ago for my aunt (finally replaced a 32" CRT), and I was VERY impressed with the TV for the $. Honestly, you can't beat it. I have a several yr old panasonic 54s1 and got a 60st50 this year, and pq wise it seems VERY comparable to the more expensive panasonic st50 line. The u50 doesn't have some little features like internet enabled and 3D, but I've never used either.. I was so impressed with the TV for the $ I just purchased one for my mother for christmas to replace her 40" samsung lcd that's 7+ yrs old.
PQ wise plasma is king, no question. Only reason to buy an lcd is if you want a smaller size. Sure plasma uses a little more electricity, but for a few more $/month for electricity, the better PQ is well worth it.

The 50UT50 is $700 on Amazon right now hard to beat that

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #15 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I second the comment -- Stay away from Vizio. Mass market crap on the same par with all the other junk stuff like RCA, Westinghouse and such. All respected name bought by others to foist on an unsuspecting public. Vizo does make some good high end sets, in the $2k plus range, but at the OP's price point the Panny is the hands down winner.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page