Best Picture LED 46" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello and thank you in advance,

I am looking to buy an LED, 46", 240 hz tv with really great picture.

I will use it for gaming on XBOX 360 and watching fast action sports.

I don't care about having a smart tv as my xbox carries a lot of those apps.

All I am concerned with is the picture quality and it not showing pixelation when watching sports.

I appreciate any advice or specific tv endorsements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

For about a $1,000.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie pastrano View Post

Hello and thank you in advance,
I am looking to buy an LED, 46", 240 hz tv with really great picture.
I will use it for gaming on XBOX 360 and watching fast action sports.
I don't care about having a smart tv as my xbox carries a lot of those apps.
All I am concerned with is the picture quality and it not showing pixelation when watching sports.
I appreciate any advice or specific tv endorsements.

If you're looking for an LCD I would say that the 240Hz interpolation is useless. And if you're looking for 240Hz based LCD then it's going to always have Smart/3D functionality. That being said, for your price range, if you're concerned about PQ, looking for the TV to hold its motion resolution in tact, and good bang for the buck, I'd ask why you're not looking at plasma.

There's only a handful of TV's that fit your price range and have the 240Hz spec, and even fewer that meet your expectation of "really great picture." The Sony HX750 comes in a 46" size and uses the 240Hz interpolation and sits right at $1097, however it's an average performer at best and definitely doesn't justify it's high price tag. The 46LE835U also meets the wanted 240Hz, is $1099 but again doesn't justify the higher price tag, at least IMO.

What I would suggest is either look at plasma TV's, or if you wanna keep with the LED/LCD's then don't look at the FP's with 240Hz because its useless anyways. Look at some FP's with just 120Hz rather.

Then I'd consider the Samsung EH6000 series, which is a full array LED/LCD, 120Hz, No Smart/3D. The Sharp LE640 model, LED/LCD with Smart functionality. The Toshiba L5200 model, which is another edge lit LED/LCD, No Smart/3D. The Sony EX645 model, yet another edge lit LED/LCD, Smart functionality, no 3D.

All of those TV's are pretty solid performers for the dollar, and are much more justifiably priced.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
Old 12-23-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

So do you think that the Sony HX750 has the best PQ for a 46" 2d led tv for around $1000?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

For watching fast moving sports, how worth it is to have 240 hz? Is there not much difference?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 274
240Hz is 120Hz x2. Motion interpolation is handled better on some sets than others. You may have to view a couple of different sets that have some sort of sports on to check it out (ignoring the torch mode and just concentrating on the motion).
Old 12-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For watching fast moving sports, how worth it is to have 240 hz? Is there not much difference?

I think if you're that concerned about motion why not buy a TV that uses a display technology that doesn't suffer from motion blur (I.e. Plasma)

IMO, 240Hz is a useless spec and doesn't little to no good in terms of PQ performance.

And to answer your question about the Sony HX750, no I don't think it's your best option in that size range, I just think for what you're looking for, it's your only option.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you hoozthatat. . I've been looking at that Sony and you've been a big help.

I don't want a plasma for 3 reasons.

1. I don't like the idea that it takes up a whole lot of energy and gives off all that heat.
2. I heard it burns still images onto the screen.
3. I keep hearing that plasma's don't display very well when it's bright in the room.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you hoozthatat. . I've been looking at that Sony and you've been a big help.
I don't want a plasma for 3 reasons.
1. I don't like the idea that it takes up a whole lot of energy and gives off all that heat.
2. I heard it burns still images onto the screen.
3. I keep hearing that plasma's don't display very well when it's bright in the room.

I would maybe even consider the Sharp I mentioned earlier, I tend to prefer Sharp over Sony. Over the past few years anyways.

1. PDP's do consume more energy, but not a drastic amount.
2.) IR/Burn In, is NOT a legitimate problem with PDP's (especially PDP's with better panels)
3.) Some PDP's don't handle ambient light well, others handle it flawlessly. Just like some LCD's handle it well, while others struggle mightily.
4.) If YOU want an LCD then go for it. I hope you find one that suits your needs best and blows you away.

Whichever one you choose I'd recommend at e very least purchasing an always useful set-up disc, either the Disney WOW or the Spears & Munsil BD. For dialing in beyond that I'd check the owners thread in here for whichever model you land on, and finally I'd highly recommend looking up a local ISF or THX certified calibrator to have them come perfect the FP. Especially if PQ is your primary concern.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info Hoozthatat.

Do you think you could give me a couple of led 120 hz recommendations? For around the $1000 range and 2D is the most important quality for me.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the info Hoozthatat.
Do you think you could give me a couple of led 120 hz recommendations? For around the $1000 range and 2D is the most important quality for me.
Thanks

Yeah, the Samsung EH6000 series, which is a full array LED/LCD, 120Hz, No Smart, No 3D.
The Sharp LE640U model, which comes in 46"-70" sizes, both the 46" and the 52" models fit in your budget. It's an edge lit LED/LCD, does have Smart functionality, no 3D.
The Sony EX645 model, comes in 46" size for $899, also an edge lit LED/LCD, does have Smart functionality, No 3D.
The LG 47LM7600 sits right a the top of your budget but is probably the best performer, it's an edge lit LED/LCD with local dimming, which in my experience some local dimming is better than none, has Smart functionality, also has 3D, and 240Hz, but again as I've stated earlier, I don't find that relevant.

If you decide against the LG because its just out of the budget, I like the Samsung EH6000 series because its a fully array LED/LCD rather than an edge lit. My 2nd choice, and a close second, would be the Sharp LE640.

biggrin.gif

Old 01-02-2013, 03:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

Yeah, the Samsung EH6000 series, which is a full array LED/LCD, 120Hz, No Smart, No 3D.
The Sharp LE640U model, which comes in 46"-70" sizes, both the 46" and the 52" models fit in your budget. It's an edge lit LED/LCD, does have Smart functionality, no 3D.
The Sony EX645 model, comes in 46" size for $899, also an edge lit LED/LCD, does have Smart functionality, No 3D.
The LG 47LM7600 sits right a the top of your budget but is probably the best performer, it's an edge lit LED/LCD with local dimming, which in my experience some local dimming is better than none, has Smart functionality, also has 3D, and 240Hz, but again as I've stated earlier, I don't find that relevant.
If you decide against the LG because its just out of the budget, I like the Samsung EH6000 series because its a fully array LED/LCD rather than an edge lit. My 2nd choice, and a close second, would be the Sharp LE640.
biggrin.gif
The eh6000 is not a full array LED. It is "direct lit". Much cheaper method of lighting than full LED. I have a 2009 LG flagship 47LH90 for sale that is like new and better than any of those tvs. True Full LED, Local Dimming, 240 Hz and THX Certified. No 3d. Not Smart. Just the best tv tech available and would be perfect for gaming.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like a good deal. How much is it?

By the way, I ended up buying the Sony HX750 on Saturday. Got to test out how football looks on Sunday, and I was impressed by it. The movement is seamless. There's a good amount of Picture settings on this and I have a feeling that I'll be tinkering with it for a while. So far I just have 2 picture settings that I've made. Sports settings and movie/tv show settings.

Thanks Hoozthatat!!! I went with your first instinct.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The eh6000 is not a full array LED. It is "direct lit". Much cheaper method of lighting than full LED. I have a 2009 LG flagship 47LH90 for sale that is like new and better than any of those tvs. True Full LED, Local Dimming, 240 Hz and THX Certified. No 3d. Not Smart. Just the best tv tech available and would be perfect for gaming.

My apologies, my wording was off. I meant direct back lit, not full array.