AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CES 2013

30K views 411 replies 65 participants last post by  markrubin 
#1 ·
"LG TO EXHIBIT 3 ULTRA HD TVS, NEW LIGHTER OLED-TV"

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1356589634

"LG promises to bring its 55-inch OLED-TV to market in 2012 but they never did. Instead they have made further improvements to the design which means that the OLED-TV is now 1/5th lighter, weighing just 3.5 kg. The panel is only 4 mm thin."

"LG.Display – the manufacturing arm of LG – will bring 3 Ultra HD TVs to CES in 55, 65 and 84-inch sizes. The 84-inch version is not new but the two smaller variants are, and could lead the way to cheaper Ultra HD TVs. LG.Display not only produces TVs for LG but also a range of other brands, including Sony, Philips and Toshiba."

#177 ·
"We just got out of Sony's press conference. Scott what did you think about it?"

Scott: "It was really uninspiring".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o187RYUBotY

"4K 4K 4K, that is all anyone wanted to talk about"

...............................................................................................

Perhaps Sony should use a marketing slogan: You should all just go 4K yourselves!

#178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland  /t/1447716/ces-2013/150#post_22799525

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEDOJv6kyGc

For those of you looking to put one of these in your living room, you better start getting creative with your reasons why your wife should allow that monstrosity in the room.
That thing is supposed to be a "Timeless Design" ??? I'm one of the (probably few) that like that stand, but that's not exactly something that's always been, and always will be.

#179 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland  /t/1447716/ces-2013/150#post_22799609

"We just got out of Sony's press conference. Scott what did you think about it?"

Scott: "It was really uninspiring".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o187RYUBotY

"4K 4K 4K, that is all anyone wanted to talk about"

LOL. I want my 3 minutes and 7 seconds back.
These two sound like highschoolers.

#180 ·
$25,000 for a television is just so far beyond what even a hopeless AV nut like me can even fathom that it's just plain freakin hilarious to me.

James

#182 ·
Sony is demonstrating a 56 inch 4K OLED prototype at CES.

Here is a video clip of the unit.

http://ces.cnet.com/1606-34451_1-50138470.html

"The final announcement was a surprise: a prototype 4K OLED TV at 56 inches. Not much more was said about this TV, and it's definitely not shipping anytime soon (unlike LG's and Samsung's OLED sets), but in true CES fashion it one-ups those 55-inch, 1080p sets with high resolution and an extra inch."

#184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck  /t/1447716/ces-2013/100_100#post_22800355

Panasonic is also showing the same 56" 4K OLED. Prototypes but it shows they realize OLED@2K is not that attractive.

Not really. What they realize is that they have no OLED product that they can manufacture any time soon, so since they do not, they figured they might as well offer the attendees a whiff of condensed vapor. Notice that they have not introduced any 4K Plasma models, even though they are offering lots of 1080P ones.

#185 ·
Sony goofs on world's first ultra-HD OLED TV

http://news.yahoo.com/sony-goofs-worlds-first-ultra-hd-oled-tv-035108619.html

" Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai suffered an embarrassing moment on a giant technology stage Monday night, introducing the world's first "ultra-HD" TV using organic light-emitting diodes (OLED), only to see the screen go blank as the computer running it had an error.

Hirai stopped mid-speech during his presentation as the screen went blank.

"This revolutionary TV combines the world's largest OLED display with dazzling 4K resolution, including this beautiful ... interface screen," he said, turning to see the screen show a computer error as chuckles rippled through the crowd.

Hirai carried on with his presentation, at one point looking back at the 56-inch display only to see the error continue.

"Excellent," he said.

A Sony staffer rolled the TV away as he continued."

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland  /t/1447716/ces-2013/180#post_22800548

Sony goofs on world's first ultra-HD OLED TV
http://news.yahoo.com/sony-goofs-worlds-first-ultra-hd-oled-tv-035108619.html

" Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai suffered an embarrassing moment on a giant technology stage Monday night, introducing the world's first "ultra-HD" TV using organic light-emitting diodes (OLED), only to see the screen go blank as the computer running it had an error.

Hirai stopped mid-speech during his presentation as the screen went blank.

"This revolutionary TV combines the world's largest OLED display with dazzling 4K resolution, including this beautiful ... interface screen," he said, turning to see the screen show a computer error as chuckles rippled through the crowd.

Hirai carried on with his presentation, at one point looking back at the 56-inch display only to see the error continue.

"Excellent," he said.

A Sony staffer rolled the TV away as he continued."

Oh Christ, someone's gonna be fired for this.

Whenever you do a critical demo, you have 2 of absolutely everything, and a guy off-stage who's sole job it is to switch the hardware out quickly. It is always over estimating your own karma to think nothing will go wrong.

#187 ·
Bend It Like Beckham.

Samsung introduces 'world's first' curved OLED TV

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3851310/samsung-curved-oled-tv

"Samsung's just announced what it's calling "the world's first curved OLED TV." A curved screen on your TV may sound like a bit of an oddity, but Samsung boasts that it creates a more panoramic, more immersive viewing experience, and actually improves viewing angles from the side. The 55-inch TV on display at Samsung's booth is due to come out the second half of this year, and has what Samsung reps have called "an IMAX feel." The TV is incredibly sharp and crisp, with fantastic colors. Unfortunately, though, details are still otherwise scarce — we're not sure of the resolution, details of the curvature, or the like – but we're already thinking about putting our piggy bank savings toward a curved OLED and not an easel-mounted TV."

Use link to view picture of the curved display.

#189 ·
It's hard to put into words how absurd Samsung is becoming.

The easel-stand monstrosity (and really, it's hard to put into words how big and ugly it is until you are close to it) is bad enough...

But now the unmitigated gall to announce "we will have a curved version of our vaporware 55" OLED later this year".?

First of all, ship any version of it you boobs.

Second of all, the idea of OLED is perfect viewing angles. How dare you tout your curved version has better viewing angles.

Oh, and the part about insisting their is some sort of "local dimming" on their edge-lit displays continues when that defies physics.... That enters year 3 or 4....

(Again, sorry about mis-referencing the 85" as OLED above. That was a total typo/brain freeze moment. Of course I knew it was an LCD, I was just off on a rant and failed to edit the post before hitting Submit.)

Reactions: Elix
#190 ·
Yes, Samsung is apparently stuck in the "alternative design" universe while Sony has consolidated its position as an industry leader in vaporware production. In other news, Panasonic has just shown its own 4K 56-inch OLED plus non-OLED 20-inch 4K tablet. Maybe Panasonic will have better track record of bringing these things to market.

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtms  /t/1447716/ces-2013/180#post_22800986

Yes, Samsung is apparently stuck in the "alternative design" universe while Sony has consolidated its position as an industry leader in vaporware production. In other news, Panasonic has just shown its own 4K 56-inch OLED plus non-OLED 20-inch 4K tablet. Maybe Panasonic will have better track record of bringing these things to market.

The Sony and Panasonic displays are the same. Both prototypes from their not-really-a-joint-venture project. AUO made the screens for both....

#193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland  /t/1447716/ces-2013/180#post_22800709

Bend It Like Beckham.

Samsung introduces 'world's first' curved OLED TV
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3851310/samsung-curved-oled-tv

"Samsung's just announced what it's calling "the world's first curved OLED TV." A curved screen on your TV may sound like a bit of an oddity, but Samsung boasts that it creates a more panoramic, more immersive viewing experience, and actually improves viewing angles from the side. The 55-inch TV on display at Samsung's booth is due to come out the second half of this year, and has what Samsung reps have called "an IMAX feel." The TV is incredibly sharp and crisp, with fantastic colors. Unfortunately, though, details are still otherwise scarce — we're not sure of the resolution, details of the curvature, or the like – but we're already thinking about putting our piggy bank savings toward a curved OLED and not an easel-mounted TV."

Use link to view picture of the curved display.

I think I'm on the I.S.S. Enterprise. Who could possibly give a @#$% about this, and further, how can it IMPROVE viewing angles? You now have the absurd case where at a certain point the near edge starts to eclipse part of the screen. Admittedly, that's at an extreme angle, but who cares if the far edge remains at an effectively better angle if the near edge is required to get worse, and then stomps on the main image? With flat you have essentially 180°.

I think what they're trying to say is that you get closer to 90° viewing across the screen. But WHY BOTHER? That's for the guys in the middle. And even then, sure, that might matter if you were 6" away, but this really seems nuts.

#195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024  /t/1447716/ces-2013/180#post_22801265

I think I'm on the I.S.S. Enterprise. Who could possibly give a @#$% about this, and further, how can it IMPROVE viewing angles? You now have the absurd case where at a certain point the near edge starts to eclipse part of the screen. Admittedly, that's at an extreme angle, but who cares if the far edge remains at an effectively better angle if the near edge is required to get worse, and then stomps on the main image? With flat you have essentially 180°.

I think what they're trying to say is that you get closer to 90° viewing across the screen. But WHY BOTHER? That's for the guys in the middle. And even then, sure, that might matter if you were 6" away, but this really seems nuts.

I'm waiting for them to come out with an underwater 3D OLED, so that when the next Avatar comes out I can have real goldfish swimming over the image for enhanced 3D effect.

#197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo  /t/1447716/ces-2013/100_100#post_22800885

It's hard to put into words how absurd Samsung is becoming.

The easel-stand monstrosity (and really, it's hard to put into words how big and ugly it is until you are close to it) is bad enough...

But now the unmitigated gall to announce "we will have a curved version of our vaporware 55" OLED later this year".?

First of all, ship any version of it you boobs.

Second of all, the idea of OLED is perfect viewing angles. How dare you tout your curved version has better viewing angles.

Oh, and the part about insisting their is some sort of "local dimming" on their edge-lit displays continues when that defies physics.... That enters year 3 or 4....

(Again, sorry about mis-referencing the 85" as OLED above. That was a total typo/brain freeze moment. Of course I knew it was an LCD, I was just off on a rant and failed to edit the post before hitting Submit.)

Not to worry. Samsung will be fine once Apple comes out with a TV design they can copy.

Zing!

Mark

#200 ·
#201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo  /t/1447716/ces-2013/100_100#post_22801252

The Sony and Panasonic displays are the same. Both prototypes from their not-really-a-joint-venture project. AUO made the screens for both....
Are they actually the same panel? I haven't seen a press release for the Panasonic one (nothing on Panasonic.net) but Sony claim that theirs is using their Super Top Emission structure, and Panasonic are claiming that theirs is an RGB printed panel.

Not that those things are exclusive from each other, but I would have expected Sony to be pushing the fact that it was a printed panel as well, if they were the same display produced by their joint venture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.