Which TV display technology is better, plasma, LCD, LED or CRT is really a big question - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil lambri View Post

I own a Samsung UN32EH4003 LED TV which is of the EH series and I am pretty sure it is what some call "full array" which is back-lit but has no local dimming and as someone mentioned in this thread it has fewer LEDs in the panel than LED TVs with local dimming. Also the panel of the TV is thicker than other LCD and LED TVs.
No offense. Honestly. This is an example of marketing. They confuse the uninformed with catch phrases that mean nothing. I'm sure that you are quite intelligent and are a long time member of a tech forum and even you don't know exactly what you have bought. They could put a single LED light in each corner and call it "Micro Corner LED Technology" and people would pay an extra $200 for it. Most people just see LED on the box and assume that it is a high end tv. btw All LCD tvs are backlit. Local dimming has nothing to do with how many leds the display has. And LED tvs are LCD tvs.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

That's unfortunate. Most people I've talked to have seen a definite benefit with a bias light but everyone's different.
I just find that bias lighting highlights the TV frame, making the image appear smaller, and making it more obvious that you're watching a TV. Kills the immersion for me.

Having a moderately well lit room still kills the immersion, but is a more comfortable way to watch TV than having a bias light, and has more of an impact on contrast ratio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

How do you measure your contrast ratio? Static or dynamic?
I measured a full white screen and a full black screen, checking to see that there was no dimming going on to fake a higher native contrast ratio. (some sets dim the LEDs or turn them off when sent a full black image for example)
post #33 of 38 Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a CRT monitor G500,still give me the best pq I have seen to date.
post #34 of 38 Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

I just find that bias lighting highlights the TV frame, making the image appear smaller, and making it more obvious that you're watching a TV. Kills the immersion for me.
Having a moderately well lit room still kills the immersion, but is a more comfortable way to watch TV than having a bias light, and has more of an impact on contrast ratio.
I measured a full white screen and a full black screen, checking to see that there was no dimming going on to fake a higher native contrast ratio. (some sets dim the LEDs or turn them off when sent a full black image for example)

Ok, I understand why you don't like bias lighting. I don't notice the bezel at all and just concentrate on the picture (with no eye strain, reflections, etc at all). But, we all visualize differently so there really isn't a right or wrong answer. So, you measure your contrast ratio as a static (native) reading, measuring white and black at the same time. Cool. Dynamic to me, is kind of a bogus reading because you're correct, it does give a higher number which is misleading. It does not accurately reflect the maximum that you will ever see. Too bad that's the number that most tv mfrs use to sell and compare their tv's.
post #35 of 38 Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I seen a cheep off brand LCD tv advertised and stated 100,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio, funny and total BS.
post #36 of 38 Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

I seen a cheep off brand LCD tv advertised and stated 100,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio, funny and total BS.

Seems legit.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #37 of 38 Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Liked: 19
Years ago, I used to insist on Plasma, however, that's when companies like Fujitsu and Pioneer were making them. I had a LX508 and still have an LX608, both incredible panels and hold up well against any of the current panels out there.

LCD/LED has come a LONG way since the early days. I'd be happy with any mid to high end Sony or Samsung LED these days.

post #38 of 38 Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM

Liked: 21
Wow! I never seen those two brands in person except a PIONEER in a lit up store, but still recommend current plasma models for best all around PQ, Only IMHO of course.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page