Need some suggestions for a new TV for the family - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, this TV isn't for me, but for the rest of my family's house. I already have had a Samsung 52A750 that I purchased years ago with the help and research from everybody here. Personally, IF IT WAS ME, I would just be going out and getting a 60ST50 plasma, but unfortunately this is boiling more down to what the father wants for his house, which makes the situation infinitely more complicated.

I've done a lot of reading on here in the past month, so I'm leaning towards either a:
Panasonic 55ST50 plasma via Amazon
Sharp 60LE640 LED LCD via whatever for $1200ish.

Now I know these TVs are quite different and at different levels, but it's not quite that easy with who I am trying to persuade. biggrin.gif

My father comes from no HDTV background and has just last week upgraded to HD digital via TWC(I know right? rolleyes.gif). Anyways, he has a pretty poor older Vizio 42" 720p 60hz cheapo TV he has, but of course he is in that age bracket where he thinks it's the best thing ever and because it's SUPPOSEDLY "Made in the USA". At any rate, my brother and I are trying to persuade him into making a viable upgrade to a large flatscreen. Now I am not sure exactly what his budget is, but he has considered the Vizio 65" 650MVSE at Walmart which is $1398(plus $100 tax)...he is more or less banking more on Vizio than anything else. I would say the budget is around $1500 with the lesser the price being more attractive(obviously).

Some requirements are mostly just picture quality in general and screen size. 3D would be a nice perk, but we are talking about people that have never operated a blu-ray player before, so it's in no way mandatory. The same goes for smart features which I doubt they will ever even attempt to use. So, the predicament begins....

Based on what I've seen, the Panny ST50 seems like a great bang for the buck and I think the 55ST50($1199) is in his reach. However, he will be competing with the idea of the 60" Vizio E601i($999) and the 65" Vizio 650MVSE($1398) for a "Vizio" and screen size.

Now I've read some of the info on both these Vizio models here and the picture quality seems to be commendable for the price, but they seem to have a myriad of auto screen shutdown problems after 2-3 months, which is beyond scary for ME. About the only thing scary about getting the plasma for HIM, is the idea that he watches a lot of sports and I might have some concern about "responsible" use of a plasma to prevent burn in when he falls asleep watching ESPN or the like.

Likewise, the Sharp 60LE640 is on sale around here for around $1100, and I know it's a step down in picture quality, but it doesn't seem to have the massive picture failures that the Vizios do, plus burn in is pretty much a moot issue with it since it's an LED LCD. My biggest question would be would the Panasonic 60UT50($1299) plasma have a better picture than the Sharp 60LE640 despite the large amount of extra glare(TV will be going in to a room with windows in it on north and west sides)?

I know I'd rather it just be me, because I would have my mind made up, but it's harder sometimes when I have to think for other people that aren't in the "realm" of making knowledgeable decisions. biggrin.gif

Should I just let him have his way with the less expensive and bigger Vizios at a possible risk or what other TVs should I strive for him to pursue that I'm not thinking about? I'm all ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat View Post

First off, this TV isn't for me, but for the rest of my family's house. I already have had a Samsung 52A750 that I purchased years ago with the help and research from everybody here. Personally, IF IT WAS ME, I would just be going out and getting a 60ST50 plasma, but unfortunately this is boiling more down to what the father wants for his house, which makes the situation infinitely more complicated.
I've done a lot of reading on here in the past month, so I'm leaning towards either a:
Panasonic 55ST50 plasma via Amazon
Sharp 60LE640 LED LCD via whatever for $1200ish.
Now I know these TVs are quite different and at different levels, but it's not quite that easy with who I am trying to persuade. biggrin.gif
My father comes from no HDTV background and has just last week upgraded to HD digital via TWC(I know right? rolleyes.gif). Anyways, he has a pretty poor older Vizio 42" 720p 60hz cheapo TV he has, but of course he is in that age bracket where he thinks it's the best thing ever and because it's SUPPOSEDLY "Made in the USA". At any rate, my brother and I are trying to persuade him into making a viable upgrade to a large flatscreen. Now I am not sure exactly what his budget is, but he has considered the Vizio 65" 650MVSE at Walmart which is $1398(plus $100 tax)...he is more or less banking more on Vizio than anything else. I would say the budget is around $1500 with the lesser the price being more attractive(obviously).
Some requirements are mostly just picture quality in general and screen size. 3D would be a nice perk, but we are talking about people that have never operated a blu-ray player before, so it's in no way mandatory. The same goes for smart features which I doubt they will ever even attempt to use. So, the predicament begins....
Based on what I've seen, the Panny ST50 seems like a great bang for the buck and I think the 55ST50($1199) is in his reach. However, he will be competing with the idea of the 60" Vizio E601i($999) and the 65" Vizio 650MVSE($1398) for a "Vizio" and screen size.
Now I've read some of the info on both these Vizio models here and the picture quality seems to be commendable for the price, but they seem to have a myriad of auto screen shutdown problems after 2-3 months, which is beyond scary for ME. About the only thing scary about getting the plasma for HIM, is the idea that he watches a lot of sports and I might have some concern about "responsible" use of a plasma to prevent burn in when he falls asleep watching ESPN or the like.
Likewise, the Sharp 60LE640 is on sale around here for around $1100, and I know it's a step down in picture quality, but it doesn't seem to have the massive picture failures that the Vizios do, plus burn in is pretty much a moot issue with it since it's an LED LCD. My biggest question would be would the Panasonic 60UT50($1299) plasma have a better picture than the Sharp 60LE640 despite the large amount of extra glare(TV will be going in to a room with windows in it on north and west sides)?
I know I'd rather it just be me, because I would have my mind made up, but it's harder sometimes when I have to think for other people that aren't in the "realm" of making knowledgeable decisions. biggrin.gif
Should I just let him have his way with the less expensive and bigger Vizios at a possible risk or what other TVs should I strive for him to pursue that I'm not thinking about? I'm all ears.

I'm not a fan of Vizio, at all. I'm sure you know as you said supposedly, but they are not made in the USA. Not even close. So I'd lean him away from Vizio personally.

I'd also lean him toward the ST50, I think dollar for dollar, price to performance, you won't find a better FP. That being said, the Sharp LE640U is no slouch either, I just think the ST50 is a better FP outright.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

A side note:
being that he's a bit older he may like the immense amount of light output the LE640 will give him, but that being said, IMO, the ST50 gets plenty bright if need be.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

post #4 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM

Liked: 22
Agreed, stay away from Vizio. As for burn in, I'm still not sold on it. I've been gaming on my plasma for 7 years (embarrassingly long hours) and its fine. I haven't seen the Sharp, so I can't comment, but the ut50 looks great in a friends windowed living room.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM

Agreed, stay away from Vizio. As for burn in, I'm still not sold on it. I've been gaming on my plasma for 7 years (embarrassingly long hours) and its fine. I haven't seen the Sharp, so I can't comment, but the ut50 looks great in a friends windowed living room.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM

post #7 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The Vizio is pretty much low end crap as we all know, and the Panny is a very nice set. That said if he is stubborn, let him get the crappy Vizio, he's going to watch it and he will not know any better. If/when it dies then explain to him it's a junk set and live and learn. just lead him to a decent store that will refund or give a replacement if needed, and encourage an extended warranty.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

The Vizio is pretty much low end crap as we all know, and the Panny is a very nice set. That said if he is stubborn, let him get the crappy Vizio, he's going to watch it and he will not know any better. If/when it dies then explain to him it's a junk set and live and learn. just lead him to a decent store that will refund or give a replacement if needed, and encourage an extended warranty.

This post cracked me up, because I was just thinking this the other day knowing how close minded he is. biggrin.gif

Trying to explain that to him is a bit of quabbling problem though. mad.gif

I'm going to do my best to "persuade" him into the "promised land". cool.gif
post #9 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodobirdy View Post

Thanks. A 60UT50($1299) wouldn't be out of the question. It's a step down from the ST50, but compared to what he is used to.....L-O-L.

I kind of expect some cases of image retention(that he probably won't even notice), but I'm just leery of that one unresponsible moment when there is some screen freeze or a movie is paused and he ends up falling asleep or something. If it was MY ST50, I would expect IR from time to time, but wouldn't have the slightest concern about burn in.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 77
My comment was based on years of experience from being the tech go-to-guy for family and friends. If they are not fussy and don't care about quality they will not know the difference and it won't bother them. I helped my cousin get a very nice 55" plasma a year or two ago, calibrated it the best I could and the next time I'm over there it's set in Dynamic and they love it. I hate it but I rarely watch it. It's not worth beating your head against the wall tying to convince him something he knows is "wrong".

Years ago I did electronics sales. I would try to educate the customer as best I could but if they are set on something there is little point in convincing them otherwise. They will find fault in it quickly and blame you. I was an honest sales person and did my best to help the customer, and my return rate was extremely low.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

My comment was based on years of experience from being the tech go-to-guy for family and friends. If they are not fussy and don't care about quality they will not know the difference and it won't bother them. I helped my cousin get a very nice 55" plasma a year or two ago, calibrated it the best I could and the next time I'm over there it's set in Dynamic and they love it. I hate it but I rarely watch it. It's not worth beating your head against the wall tying to convince him something he knows is "wrong".
Years ago I did electronics sales. I would try to educate the customer as best I could but if they are set on something there is little point in convincing them otherwise. They will find fault in it quickly and blame you. I was an honest sales person and did my best to help the customer, and my return rate was extremely low.

Well at least I know how somebody feels in my shoes. biggrin.gif

I'm the same way...It's just ridiculously frustrating for me to "let go" on that notion. I'm all about value, but I hate the idea of "settling for less". Sure, I'm not expecting them to go out and get a Pioneer Kuro or Sharp Elite, but at least go for the quality and benefits(and reliability) of a "mid range" Panny ST50 or something along those lines. I just want to slap some sense in to them, but I suppose if they are fascinated with whatever picture they get, then it's perfectly fine for them to be dumb/wrong on the matter. wink.gif

Quite a few people in the mass public, love those big box store vibrant, 100 brightness appearances. I know a lot of people look for "pop" in their TV and as do I...but it's another thing when it's the equivalent of staring at the sun for a couple hours. eek.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, sometimes it it does feel like beating your head against the wall. Some people just want to ignore fact and common sense. I'd do your best to tell him that you know what you're doing as well as performing a nice gesture to ensure he gets the best bang for his buck and value for his dollar biggrin.gif

Then buy him a damn ST50! wink.gif

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page