Moth Eye.. anyone actually seen it or reviewed it? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 46 Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,408
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post


Ah ha! Something to do with Obama no doubt.

Clearly related to his secret desire to make us all Communist.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 46 Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Communist, fascist, w/e.

"I Don't Think Anyone Should Own Guns."

"We've got to have a civilian national security force that is just as powerful, just as strong, just as well funded" (as the Military).

Somebody pass the Kool-Aid. I need another swig.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #33 of 46 Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This is entirely off topic, but communist and facist are on complete opposite sides of the political spectrum. Opposite extremes. That being said, I'm personally excited to see one of the new Moth Eyes biggrin.gif

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #34 of 46 Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Some other folks went there. I reported it, but it did no good, so I had to take umbrage with the flippant remarks. And yes, they're on opposite ends, but they're both tyrannical (communism in theory never quite seems to develop as planned, with a ruling class employed to keep everything equitable), and if we visualize the political spectrum as 360 degrees, one could say they meet at a single point. Different paths to enact control, same end game (destruction of liberty, subjugation of the masses and the right to bear arms, and eventually mass murder).

The black helicopter belittling meme needs to come to an end. This stuff is happening in broad daylight: http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/04/16843014-exclusive-justice-department-memo-reveals-legal-case-for-drone-strikes-on-americans
vinnie97 is offline  
post #35 of 46 Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Some other folks went there. I reported it, but it did no good, so I had to take umbrage with the flippant remarks. And yes, they're on opposite ends, but they're both tyrannical (communism in theory never quite seems to develop as planned, with a ruling class employed to keep everything equitable), and if we visualize the political spectrum as 360 degrees, one could say they meet at a single point. Different paths to enact control, same end game (destruction of liberty, subjugation of the masses and the right to bear arms, and eventually mass murder).

The black helicopter belittling meme needs to come to an end. This stuff is happening in broad daylight: http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/04/16843014-exclusive-justice-department-memo-reveals-legal-case-for-drone-strikes-on-americans

I know somebody else sparked this topic of conversation I was merely stating the obvious that it's off topic and that I was hoping we could possibly jump back on the right path. smile.gif

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #36 of 46 Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,408
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 634
I was really joking about Obama, who I think is neither communist nor fascist nor terrible nor anywhere near perfect. Moth eye, exciting. Yes!

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
post #37 of 46 Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,866
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

This is entirely off topic, but communist and facist are on complete opposite sides of the political spectrum. Opposite extremes. That being said, I'm personally excited to see one of the new Moth Eyes biggrin.gif

Whoa. No, not exactly. I spent enormous amount of time on this in my 20's looking this business up. Gotta brush some colloquialisms aside though to dig up what happened before "common usage" mucked things up.

The Nazi's were a facist implementation of socialism. Essentially, the Nazi's relied upon extremely big government and by its nature were closer in function to socialism and communism, and not the opposite of said, unless you carefully define your terms to be akin to military dictate, in which case you are still on a different axis all together (pun intended).

(breath)

In ANY case, I only brought up Obama not because I support Obama (I don't), but because I don't not support him either but because I routinely laugh at the conspiracy theorists on both sides who seem to work overtime. So I threw out something that I thought was so preposterous that no one would draw a parallel, nor derail the thread with it.

I'm actually a little surprised that it could descend so rapidly. If I had made a reference to an alien autopsy at Roswell, would this have happened?

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
tgm1024 is online now  
post #38 of 46 Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Whoa. No, not exactly. I spent enormous amount of time on this in my 20's looking this business up. Gotta brush some colloquialisms aside though to dig up what happened before "common usage" mucked things up.

The Nazi's were a facist implementation of socialism. Essentially, the Nazi's relied upon extremely big government and by its nature were closer in function to socialism and communism, and not the opposite of said, unless you carefully define your terms to be akin to military dictate, in which case you are still on a different axis all together (pun intended).

(breath)

In ANY case, I only brought up Obama not because I support Obama (I don't), but because I don't not support him either but because I routinely laugh at the conspiracy theorists on both sides who seem to work overtime. So I threw out something that I thought was so preposterous that no one would draw a parallel, nor derail the thread with it.

I'm actually a little surprised that it could descend so rapidly. If I had made a reference to an alien autopsy at Roswell, would this have happened?

Well I wouldn't say the thread was derailed because theres been a lot of great information and discussion here, but there was a slight tangent smile.gif And in reagards to Roswell we all know the truth behind that one so I imagine the tangent would've either been smaller or non-existent wink.gif

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #39 of 46 Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,866
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 946
.....this thread is going to be 4000 posts long, with 7 of them about Moth Eye.....

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
tgm1024 is online now  
post #40 of 46 Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

.....this thread is going to be 4000 posts long, with 7 of them about Moth Eye.....

Well now were back on track smile.gif
More moth eye posts on the horizion!

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #41 of 46 Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 24,651
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I was really joking about Obama, who I think is neither communist nor fascist nor terrible nor anywhere near perfect. Moth eye, exciting. Yes!

You got one right Mark. biggrin.gif
Ken Ross is offline  
post #42 of 46 Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Artwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hoover, Alabama
Posts: 4,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Do moth eyes only see yellow?

The University of Wyoming's colors are yellow and brown..........I respect all of you enough to let you insert your own punch lines!
Artwood is offline  
post #43 of 46 Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Cool, about those moth eyes. I hope I can get one for the bunker I haven't built yet. wink.gif
vinnie97 is offline  
post #44 of 46 Old 02-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Member
 
esquire415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's another example of a Moth Eye panel (left) and a glossy screen (right):



I want one on a 42" to replace my bedroom TV as I already bought a 55" VT50 last year for the living room. But I doubt we'll have one that size here in the US featuring that technology. However, I would only want it in a plasma (hate the soap opera effect of LCDs). That leaves only LG, Samsung and Panasonic as the main contenders.

Here's a review of the Sharp 70in 4k Moth Eye TV shown at CES
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sharp-70in-4k-moth-eye_TV_review

Review of Philips 46PFL9706
http://www.whathifi.com/review/philips-46pfl9706

Then again, it will probably be more cost effective/cheaper to implement an "invisible glass" technology from Nippon Electric
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/nippon-electric-glass-liquid-crystal-lens-invisible-glass/
esquire415 is offline  
post #45 of 46 Old 02-17-2013, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chronoptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire415 View Post

Here's another example of a Moth Eye panel (left) and a glossy screen (right):

http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/151159/width/500/height/1000
This is not a demo of any displays, it's a glass cabinet: http://www.dealerscope.com/common/img/photos/biz/ds/2012/10/09CEATEC12SharpMothEyeAntiGlare-large.JPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire415 View Post

I want one on a 42" to replace my bedroom TV as I already bought a 55" VT50 last year for the living room. But I doubt we'll have one that size here in the US featuring that technology. However, I would only want it in a plasma (hate the soap opera effect of LCDs). That leaves only LG, Samsung and Panasonic as the main contenders.
The "soap opera effect" only happens on LCDs when you have their interpolation options turned on. It's optional. And on Sony sets at least, their interpolation (MotionFlow) generally does not introduce that sped-up "soap opera" look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire415 View Post

Then again, it will probably be more cost effective/cheaper to implement an "invisible glass" technology from Nippon Electric
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/04/nippon-electric-glass-liquid-crystal-lens-invisible-glass/
What makes you say that this is cheaper?
Chronoptimist is offline  
post #46 of 46 Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,163
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist 
The "soap opera effect" only happens on LCDs when you have their interpolation options turned on. It's optional. And on Sony sets at least, their interpolation (MotionFlow) generally does not introduce that sped-up "soap opera" look.

Turn off all smoothing options. On my Sony;
. Motionflow (motion interpolation)
. Film Mode: Auto1

btw VT50 also has smoothing options smile.gif
8mile13 is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off