Sharp LC70LE640U vs Sammy PN64E550 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all...

I am torn between these 2. I would really appreciate your input! Of course some of the obvious differences are:

Sharp: LED
Sammy: Plasma

Sharp 70"
Sammy: 64"

Sharp: No 3D
Sammy: Yes 3D

Sammy: $1,700
Sharp: $2,200 (I think I can talk them down maybe to 2K)

Main use: Hockey, HDTV, and the occasional movie with the family. I will be building a dedicated theater room w/projector within the year. So this will see less movie time when that happens, and will be mostly for sports and TV.

The room as about 20x12 with the primary seating position at around 12'. There are windows across the short end of the room (which will be across, and 20ft away from the screen). The majority of sun is in the morning.

I never thought much about 3D until I saw it for myself at a local Best Buy. Have to say, I was more impressed than I thought I'd be. But it's not an absolute show-stopper.

Oddly enough, I currently own an older model 50" Sammy Plasma (about 2 year old) and an older model 42" Sharp LCD (about 4.5 year old). The picture quality of the Sammy is superior, but the Sammy does suffer from burn in (4:3 bars), and does reflect a LOT, but it is in a room with a ton more windows.

I liked the picture quality of both sets when I saw them at 2 different retailers. It's a real close call for us right now......please help me decide! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCreole View Post

Hi all...

I am torn between these 2. I would really appreciate your input! Of course some of the obvious differences are:

Sharp: LED
Sammy: Plasma

Sharp 70"
Sammy: 64"

Sharp: No 3D
Sammy: Yes 3D

Sammy: $1,700
Sharp: $2,200 (I think I can talk them down maybe to 2K)

Main use: Hockey, HDTV, and the occasional movie with the family. I will be building a dedicated theater room w/projector within the year. So this will see less movie time when that happens, and will be mostly for sports and TV.

The room as about 20x12 with the primary seating position at around 12'. There are windows across the short end of the room (which will be across, and 20ft away from the screen). The majority of sun is in the morning.

I never thought much about 3D until I saw it for myself at a local Best Buy. Have to say, I was more impressed than I thought I'd be. But it's not an absolute show-stopper.

Oddly enough, I currently own an older model 50" Sammy Plasma (about 2 year old) and an older model 42" Sharp LCD (about 4.5 year old). The picture quality of the Sammy is superior, but the Sammy does suffer from burn in (4:3 bars), and does reflect a LOT, but it is in a room with a ton more windows.

I liked the picture quality of both sets when I saw them at 2 different retailers. It's a real close call for us right now......please help me decide! Thanks!

You won't be able to talk them down to any other price, that particular model is one of the many that falls under the UMRP pricing. IE Samsung sets the pricing not BBY, Amazon, Sears, etc. So legally, they can't alter the price.

As far as the FP's go, I'd recommend the PN64E550, purely because you're looking at sports being a main usage. I've seen the LE640, and LE845 (which is a 240Hz model) in action displaying football, basketball, and hockey. (Side not here, I'm also a huge hockey fan and I'm ecstatic about the upcoming season, Go Flames!) And the Sharp was very unimpressive while displaying motion. Terrible artifacting, ghosting and temporal resolution. The LE640U is an impressive set in other regards but like I said earlier, I was unimpressed with its motion handling.

I own a PDP, the LG 60PZ950, and watch a ton of sports and I've never had any issues with the motion handling (other than the poor compression artifacts for some channels, which is no fault of the FP)

I've also seen the PNE550 in action, a friend of mine owns the 51". It's a solid FP and held up well. So that's the way I'd lean.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page