CES 2013 -- Open Discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 527
This thread will not be closed at the request of the original poster, another odd AVS Forum rule that ends conversations arbitrarily.

Of course, this thread might be closed for any number of capricious and other very legitimate reasons, so please behave according to civil discourse rules.

Feel free to continue the discussion of CES 2013 here.
PeterG likes this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
This is probably questionable, too, but oh well (quote from that thread to which I'd like to respond with a sort of quip of my own):
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland 
Well apparently they pulled it for a reason. Perhaps it was just cover their backsides boilerplate that some manual writer just lifted from their Plasma use Instructions. We shall just have to wait and find out from actual user experience,rather than getting our knickers in a bunch over something that may or may not turn out to be a problem of any consequences. Similar cautions never stopped Kuro owners from plunking down a lot of cash for that product, and the vast majority of them are still pining for the next Kuro to come along. OLED appears to be their best chance for such a product.
Some have actually said the latest flagships from Samsung and Panasonic are the closest one can get to OLED PQ without plucking down $12k and instead at likely a third of the price or less. Many also managed to get the Pioneers at rather discounted prices due to the firesale when they announced their exit (along with speculation leading up to it). The main complaint I have with it is uneven wear because of the horizontal bars present during certain widescreen aspect ratios. Methinks OLED wouldn't solve this problem (but make it less noticeable during dark scenes?).
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 218
right. Shortly after this thread was closed i found this nice CES top 10 article. Thanks for reopening the thread rogo smile.gif

techradar
CES 2013: top 10 moments:
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/ces-2013-top-10-moments-1111489
post #4 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1447716/ces-2013/390#post_22848250

In response to greenland's assertion (above linked post) that there is no shred of evidence that OLEDs can suffer from burn in and I'll add image sticking (retention).

Refer to slides 12 and 13 respectively of the following presentation...

http://www.oled-a.org/images/pdfs/OLED%20Industry%20Update_Rev7.ppt
post #5 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

right. Shortly after this thread was closed i found this nice CES top 10 article. Thanks for reopening the thread rogo smile.gif

techradar
CES 2013: top 10 moments:
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/ces-2013-top-10-moments-1111489
The highlight was a speech by one of the biggest political hucksters in recent times? Glad I missed it.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by "vinnie97 
The highlight was a speech by one of the biggest political hucksters in recent times? Glad I missed it.

Well, there is a techradar Top 10 Moments, a Our Favorite New Products from the Show link and a Our Best of CES link. You're response is not just cynical its very negative wink.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 AM

Can I call you Mr. Obvious? wink.gif I don't like to celebrate tyranny, which was one of the topics of highlight in his speech after all, especially from someone in an ivory tower of his own who enjoys the best personal protection money can buy.

Anyway, I think the latter 2 categories in your list would be better suited here.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page