Help! Want 70''+, new to all the options, recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ejsg19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks, hope you will excuse my ignorance here. I have been out of the TV market for over 7 years until just recently. We are remodeling, making a basement room into a movie room, and I have justified the spoiling of myself and my wife (both love watching movies) with a very large tv and surround sound. First time I've had either.

I have my surround system picked out, and may create a separate thread about that.

I am looking at plasma and led tv's, and just don't know the benefits of either. All salesman so far just sort of trail off and don't have good answers (I tend to over-research a bit.) One thing I have found out is that a 65" tv is underwhelming size wise for what I want. We will use this tv mainly for watching movies, and HDTV, very little video gaming if any. Some sports like football as well see some time.

What would you recommend for a 65"-70" tv in the current marketplace? I am a Samsung fan, my old 42'' lcd has been good to me. Panasonic?

We will sit about 10-12 feet from this tv, so that is mainly why I'd like to stay at 70" minimum. Looking from this distance at the store makes me wish 80" was in the budget. So here are my constraints:

Budget: I'd spend up to $3500 if the tv was high quality and large enough to be worth it. But my potentials so far seem to land around $2500-3000 for 65" and 70" tv's.
Dimension: 3D is fine I guess, but I don't really care either way. I think this technology will probably either catch on more by the time I buy the next one, or we'll get along without it.
Size: 65-70" or greater, if it fits the budget and picture quality doesn't suffer terribly.
Brands: Samsung or Panasonic stand out to me, but recommend as you will.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated. Some tv's I'm considering are:

Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT50 65-Inch (wish it were bigger, have seen one selling for about $2400)
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65ST50 65-Inch (can grab this for about $2300)

Samsung UN65ES8000 65-Inch (wish it were bigger, and its $3500)

Sharp HE LC-80LE632U 80-Inch LED-lit 1080p 120Hz (refresh rate looks scary, and I assume this is why an 80" tv is "affordable" at $3900?)

Also, most of my pricing is coming from Amazon, as I live a long way from big box stores, and Amazon's special delivery is pretty tempting. Where would you buy the above sets from?
ejsg19 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 01-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsg19 View Post

Hi folks, hope you will excuse my ignorance here. I have been out of the TV market for over 7 years until just recently. We are remodeling, making a basement room into a movie room, and I have justified the spoiling of myself and my wife (both love watching movies) with a very large tv and surround sound. First time I've had either.

I have my surround system picked out, and may create a separate thread about that.

I am looking at plasma and led tv's, and just don't know the benefits of either. All salesman so far just sort of trail off and don't have good answers (I tend to over-research a bit.) One thing I have found out is that a 65" tv is underwhelming size wise for what I want. We will use this tv mainly for watching movies, and HDTV, very little video gaming if any. Some sports like football as well see some time.

What would you recommend for a 65"-70" tv in the current marketplace? I am a Samsung fan, my old 42'' lcd has been good to me. Panasonic?

We will sit about 10-12 feet from this tv, so that is mainly why I'd like to stay at 70" minimum. Looking from this distance at the store makes me wish 80" was in the budget. So here are my constraints:

Budget: I'd spend up to $3500 if the tv was high quality and large enough to be worth it. But my potentials so far seem to land around $2500-3000 for 65" and 70" tv's.
Dimension: 3D is fine I guess, but I don't really care either way. I think this technology will probably either catch on more by the time I buy the next one, or we'll get along without it.
Size: 65-70" or greater, if it fits the budget and picture quality doesn't suffer terribly.
Brands: Samsung or Panasonic stand out to me, but recommend as you will.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated. Some tv's I'm considering are:

Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT50 65-Inch (wish it were bigger, have seen one selling for about $2400)
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65ST50 65-Inch (can grab this for about $2300)

Samsung UN65ES8000 65-Inch (wish it were bigger, and its $3500)

Sharp HE LC-80LE632U 80-Inch LED-lit 1080p 120Hz (refresh rate looks scary, and I assume this is why an 80" tv is "affordable" at $3900?)

Also, most of my pricing is coming from Amazon, as I live a long way from big box stores, and Amazon's special delivery is pretty tempting. Where would you buy the above sets from?

Well you seem pretty set on 70" and up yourself so you can eliminate PDP and Panasonic right now, and based off of your price and size desire Samsung is out as well. As far as where to buy, well that's why we live in a free market society and have the right to choose ourselves smile.gif

For the FP's you've listed here I think the no brainer is the VT50 (as long as 65" will suffice for you) The VT50 is hands down the best performing FP

If it won't (and based on your price range) your only options are Sharp and Vizio and well Vizio is a joke, so I'd lean toward the Sharp LE640(2) in either 70 or 80" size.

Personally, I watch a ton of sports on from what I've seen on most LCD's is a ton of motion blur and ghosting which can be annoying.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ejsg19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would you put Sharp on par with the vt50? Size is one thing, sacrificing longevity, picture quality, etc is not worth extra size if the sacrifice is drastic.
ejsg19 is offline  
post #4 of 25 Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsg19 View Post

Would you put Sharp on par with the vt50? Size is one thing, sacrificing longevity, picture quality, etc is not worth extra size if the sacrifice is drastic.

On par with, no. A solid series regardless.

The VT50 is the best FP of 2012, hands down

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ejsg19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

On par with, no. A solid series regardless.

The VT50 is the best FP of 2012, hands down

I see. Thank you for your responses.

Given that the VT50 has a 600hz refresh rating while sharp seems to peak at either 120hz . In reading a bit, I see refresh rate claims by manufacturer aren't necessarily trustworthy, but I hesitate going from the top end of refresh to the bottom.

Otherwise the cost of VT50/Sharp 70" is about the same. The natural skeptic in me says "hey dummy, you better find a VT50 and be happy instead of buying Sharp and wondering why you have headaches."

Accurate assessment?
ejsg19 is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
greenjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsg19 View Post

Given that the VT50 has a 600hz refresh rating while sharp seems to peak at either 120hz . In reading a bit, I see refresh rate claims by manufacturer aren't necessarily trustworthy, but I hesitate going from the top end of refresh to the bottom.
Those numbers are referring to two very different things, and are not useful for comparison. The 120hz rate for the LCD is frames per second. The 600hz rate for plasma is "subfields per second" and has been deliberately used in misleading way in recent years in an attempt to one-up the LCD specifications. The plasma actually operates at 60 frames per second, with each frame composed of 10 subfields. The VT50 also has a 96 frames per second mode for use when viewing 24 frame per second (ie film) source material. The LCD is capable of something called "interpolation" which uses the additional frames per second to create intermediate frames in an attempt to "smooth" motion and reduce blur. Some people like it, others do not. The VT50 can do a milder form of the same.

confused? biggrin.gif
greenjp is online now  
post #7 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Go to "hometheaterreview.com and read the new review of the 65VT50. That should answer all of your questions.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #8 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ejsg19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Those numbers are referring to two very different things, and are not useful for comparison. The 120hz rate for the LCD is frames per second. The 600hz rate for plasma is "subfields per second" and has been deliberately used in misleading way in recent years in an attempt to one-up the LCD specifications. The plasma actually operates at 60 frames per second, with each frame composed of 10 subfields. The VT50 also has a 96 frames per second mode for use when viewing 24 frame per second (ie film) source material. The LCD is capable of something called "interpolation" which uses the additional frames per second to create intermediate frames in an attempt to "smooth" motion and reduce blur. Some people like it, others do not. The VT50 can do a milder form of the same.

confused? biggrin.gif

I know my brother's 55'' tv (can't recall brand) has some sort of "motion blur reducing" and honestly it looks like a poorly edited movie for Televised viewing when I watch that one. Maybe it does look more realistic, but I find it distracting since I'm used to tv's 7 yrs old and older.

Thanks for clarifying between plasma and LCD refresh rates a bit, I didn't realize the difference (obviously).

Sounds like somebody should have written Panasonic a strongly worded letter telling them to produce a VT50 set in 70"/80" size and the world would be a better place.
ejsg19 is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ejsg19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Go to "hometheaterreview.com and read the new review of the 65VT50. That should answer all of your questions.

Thank you for the source.

My real trouble now is finding a place to purchase the 65" VT50. My every faithful amazon is out of luck. I am 90 minutes from the closest big box store, but may have to bite the bullet and make a trip.

Pulling wire through studs and joists for outlets and can lights today, so I do have some time to search. Anyone familiar with Central Iowa and who may have this TV please feel free to chime in. Otherwise I'm a bit nervous in online ordering high priced electronics, but if anyone has a reputable source, please feel free.
ejsg19 is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Elvis Is Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am currently in the same situation. I want 70+ and wish I had a plasma option.

I am using a 67" Samsung LED DLP currently and I want a larger display. I'd love to have the picture quality of a VT50 in something bigger. I think there is a gap in the market for a high quality reasonably affordable 70"-80" display.

I personally want to purchase an 80" plasma or an 80" local dimming full array LED. Nothing out there for me at the moment. I'll either settle for a Sharp 80" or get a cheap closeout 82" or 92" Mits DLP to hold me over for a few years. I'd love a 70" Sharp Elite but not a good enough value for me. I was salivating for the announced Sharp 945's that never came to market. No way I could go smaller in size now.
Elvis Is Alive is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Several reputable stores are mentioned in these threads. Off the top of my head I would suggest Cleveland Plasma and Crutchfield. I think some have ordered through Best Buy and I think HHGREGG may be in your area. Is Amazon out forever or just at the moment?
andy sullivan is online now  
post #12 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsg19 View Post

I know my brother's 55'' tv (can't recall brand) has some sort of "motion blur reducing" and honestly it looks like a poorly edited movie for Televised viewing when I watch that one. Maybe it does look more realistic, but I find it distracting since I'm used to tv's 7 yrs old and older.

Thanks for clarifying between plasma and LCD refresh rates a bit, I didn't realize the difference (obviously).

Sounds like somebody should have written Panasonic a strongly worded letter telling them to produce a VT50 set in 70"/80" size and the world would be a better place.

That motion blur reducing spec you're referring too is the frame interpolation that LCD's use for a smoothing effect. It's commonly called the "soap opera effect."

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Member
 
ChinaCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsg19 View Post


Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT50 65-Inch (wish it were bigger, have seen one selling for about $2400)

Are you sure about that? The lowest price for that TV I've seen new is $2,899

Good luck.
ChinaCat is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,956
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaCat View Post

Are you sure about that? The lowest price for that TV I've seen new is $2,899

Good luck.

Ive seen a few posts\reports of this recently so yes the OP is sure ;-)
Ph8te is online now  
post #15 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Member
 
ChinaCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Ive seen a few posts\reports of this recently so yes the OP is sure ;-)

Then if any one can private message me or post pointing me in the right direction I'd be grateful. I'd buy a brand new VT50 65" from a source I can be certain isn't sending me a defective unit in less than a heartbeat for $2,400.
ChinaCat is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Check out the "Found Great Deals" in the plasma section. At least 2 for under $2500.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #17 of 25 Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ejsg19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Check out the "Found Great Deals" in the plasma section. At least 2 for under $2500.

Giving strong consideration to Paul's tv and their discount, but there is something about multiple different people shipping a TV to my house in the country that is unsettling. Have spoken with a couple friends who have done time employed for Best Buy and similar places. The stories of how high end electronics get handled by highschool age kids is not comforting. eek.gif
ejsg19 is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
chadsdsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post

I am currently in the same situation. I want 70+ and wish I had a plasma option.

I am using a 67" Samsung LED DLP currently and I want a larger display. I'd love to have the picture quality of a VT50 in something bigger. I think there is a gap in the market for a high quality reasonably affordable 70"-80" display.

I personally want to purchase an 80" plasma or an 80" local dimming full array LED. Nothing out there for me at the moment. I'll either settle for a Sharp 80" or get a cheap closeout 82" or 92" Mits DLP to hold me over for a few years. I'd love a 70" Sharp Elite but not a good enough value for me. I was salivating for the announced Sharp 945's that never came to market. No way I could go smaller in size now.


Sharp makes a full array 80" set. It is not local dimming but at least is backlit instead of edge lit. I have a friend with one and its decent. The vt is definetely the better overall set, but if 65" is too small, the sharp is likely the way to go. I am not an lcd/led guy so I am not up to date on everything, but I had heard Sharp was going to release a locally dimmed full array 80" that people were calling "elite light". Obviously, it would have less dimming zones and higher overall black levels, but it sounded like a nice option, if they ever do release it. Who knows with the way Sharp is going they may release it, or they may go out of business...rolleyes.gif
chadsdsmith is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
The Sharp 70" 735 is back lit if you can still find one.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #20 of 25 Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Elvis Is Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am aware of the Sharp. The 80" doesn't have 3D if I recall correctly. I would have already purchased one otherwise.

*edit* After rechecking, Should I be looking at the Sharp 80" 844? 3D, back lit, correct?
Elvis Is Alive is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Member
 
JTH182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you're making a dedicated movie room in the basement and want a very large screen, why don't you consider a front projector? You can get a 100"+ screen in the price range you're looking at for a smaller led. I don't have one myself, but it's something to consider.
JTH182 is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ejsg19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post

If you're making a dedicated movie room in the basement and want a very large screen, why don't you consider a front projector? You can get a 100"+ screen in the price range you're looking at for a smaller led. I don't have one myself, but it's something to consider.

I know even less about projectors and projector screens than I do about tv's if you can believe it!

Mainly because I've never seen a projector screen compare to the picture quality of a television. By rights, I am sure that I've never seen a good quality projector screen, but that has been my experience.

Right now with the viewing distance of about 10-12 feet, I think the 65''-80'' range is probably fair.
ejsg19 is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
One of the big AV magazines has a very good 4X review of four reasonably priced projectors with outstanding PQ. One is JVC, and Sony, I believe Epson (I forget the 4th one.). They also spend a good amount of time discussing screens. These are side by side shoot out type comparisons. Very good read.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #24 of 25 Old 02-03-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 5,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

One of the big AV magazines has a very good 4X review of four reasonably priced projectors with outstanding PQ. One is JVC, and Sony, I believe Epson (I forget the 4th one.). They also spend a good amount of time discussing screens. These are side by side shoot out type comparisons. Very good read.

That sounds like the review I read recently at the library. Sound and Vision magazine had it.
Jim McC is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
ejsg19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What would somebody choose as their second choice if the VT50 was not an option?

I'd like to have one delivered, from Amazon if possible, but they do not offer the VT50 unless you buy a used TV which I'm not willing to do. Delivered from Amazon on most other tv's is cheaper than what I can get at any BB or similar store it seems like, and the best part is, they bring it to me.
ejsg19 is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off