Active 3D vs passive 3D vs ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-03-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I understand correctly, active 3D was first followed by passive 3D. Is it worth buying a 3D TV now? Will the technology change in the immediate future or will passive 3D be the standard for at least a few years?

I'm looking for a new TV and originally I had no interest in a 3D TV. The Toshiba L6200U is going for a good price so it's an interesting option. But I don't want to buy a 3D TV if it will be obsolete in 6-12 months. I have a PS3 for gaming but I would also use it for 3D movies. Assuming I buy any, as I have no idea titles are on the market.

Thanks

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post

If I understand correctly, active 3D was first followed by passive 3D. Is it worth buying a 3D TV now? Will the technology change in the immediate future or will passive 3D be the standard for at least a few years?

I'm looking for a new TV and originally I had no interest in a 3D TV. The Toshiba L6200U is going for a good price so it's an interesting option. But I don't want to buy a 3D TV if it will be obsolete in 6-12 months. I have a PS3 for gaming but I would also use it for 3D movies. Assuming I buy any, as I have no idea titles are on the market.

Thanks

In 2012, the two biggest players in passive (AFAIK) were (not in order) Vizio and LG. Panasonic also dipped their toe in with their ET5. Since 2013, pana has annnounced that they're now dumping active (at least for all their LED-LCD) and even Sony has announced (very begrudgingly) that even though they believe that active is superior (it isn't) they recognize that the public wants passive and they're responding to that.

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post

Thanks

With the presence of 4K in the FP market is seems as though passive will take over whatever 3D market-share will be left. Is it a dated technology, no, but it's also not necessarily prevalent either. 3D is sort of on the back burner. I wouldn't worry about buying the technology and being leapfrogged in some way unless you're in the market for a 4K FP in the next 12-24 months. That being said 3D is going to come built into the best FP's regardless, so generally speaking if you're looking for a solid perfomer it'll have 3D, of course there are a few exceptions to the rule.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page