Oculus Rift VR Headsets - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

Old 06-19-2015, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...m?ocid=U218DHP

VR is not going to be a niche market like 3D. It's going to be gigantic! And a lot of people predicting negative things for it are going to have to eat very humble crow by 2020...as it begins to reach full stride. IMO it will be 100 times bigger than Home Theater Giant screen viewing. Especially with its convergence with Mobile. Which will give young people a giant screen sense of a solitary space they can carve out at home. And stream whatever they want via Windows 10...Xbox...Tablet...Phone...or something else. It is that aspect of Oculus Rift..HTC Vive...GearVR...Morpheus and a lot of other Johnny come latelys which a lot of people are underestimating IMO. These devices ARE NOT 3D Glasses. No equivalency whatsoever. Instead they bring better than 3D worlds to complete immersive life through whatever VR device one is using. VR will actually make passive 3D happen quicker in the 2D HT world IMO. As many people will yearn for a better and similar immersive experience with their big flat panels and projectors. Again...enter Microsoft with it's looming Hololens technology. I bet Hololens AR actually becomes the pseudo VR solution for HT and Living Rooms all over. Everything in display tech, computer tech and etc are rapidly converging around the enormous potential of a future dominant VR/AR marketplace. Those who refuse to see this happening are being just as obtuse as the VHS crowd who eschewed Digital Media. OLED...FALD...Crystal LED...HDR...Color Gamut...Ultra HD...8K x4k...and all of the other buzzwords we routinely use mean NOTHING in the Broader marketplace. VR & AR will compile the benefits of them all in two simple letters for the marketplace to accept or reject. MY bet is universal acceptance by 2020!

If anything the world has shown is people don't like wearing glasses, many will just get contact even though many experience dry eyes and blurred vision with contacts compared to glasses. Or they'll even spent thousands of dollars to get lasik surgery, acknowledging the risks that it has of causing permanent dry eye and halos.

No one liked wearing glasses in 3-d, even the non active sets with the super lightweight battery-less versions.

Virtual Reality will never take off for anyone other than enthusiasts. Your best hope, is the technology google glass uses with projecting an image into a retina. That way you can experience VR, without any glasses at all.

Last edited by Chase Payne; 06-19-2015 at 01:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Payne View Post
If anything the world has shown is people don't like wearing glasses, many will just get contact even though many experience dry eyes and blurred vision with contacts compared to glasses. Or they'll even spent thousands of dollars to get lasik surgery, acknowledging the risks that it has of causing permanent dry eye and halos.

No one liked wearing glasses in 3-d, even the non active sets with the super lightweight battery-less versions.

Virtual Reality will never take off for anyone other than enthusiasts. Your best hope, is the technology google glass uses with projecting an image into a retina. That way you can experience VR, without any glasses at all.

What the world has shown is that people will readily wear glasses and like them if there is a reason to. To the tune of billions of pairs of glasses sold annually. Have people stopped buying and wearing sunglasses? Goggles to ski or race in? Helmets to ride bicycles or motorcycles on?People will buy big bulky or varying degrees of small headphones to listen to music. They will even wear those headphones underneath big garish hats while walking inside or outside, in hot or cold environments, if they like them. People will buy anything, in mass volume, if they like the experience of it! And are persuaded by effective marketing that they must have it! Sometimes something is so game changing that effective marketing is not even required. My guess is that VR is one such thing. Something that will change so many things...in so many areas...that 10 -20 years from now, kids of that generation will look back at you, like you look back, with nostalgia, at people sitting around a radio before TV was invented.

But more to the point...what the world is already learning is that VR is not even about 3D glasses or even glasses in general. Your core premise is wrong. VR is about a completely different kind of HD display. Like a HDTV or monitor. It is a very small and personal display. One that delivers huge screen, immersive experience in a very small head space. Immersive VR content is just one application for this unique display. And it must have the very best display technology and science available to work best. So it is always forward compatible. Once people make that simple observation and assess it or experience it. Even the most obtuse critics get it! Unlike 3D, it's not a 2 piece 3D system with an external display and special glasses.

People make a decision to try it when its available (or not too). The "or not to's" are a very small group even at this early stage of development (almost non existent). They're about the size of a pimple on an elephants butt in the industries that are targeted. Last time I looked everyone I know and read about everywhere want to try it. When VR hits retail it will become one of the most tried new display devices ever in places like Best Buy and etc. My guess is that most who experience it at retail will want to buy one, if the price is not objectionable. Every single industry in the tech sector agrees with that perspective to greater or lesser degrees. And they are rapidly converting resources to exploit its enormous potential (before it's too late). Meaning the barriers to entry go through the roof on a cost basis.

"Virtual Reality will never take off for anyone other than enthusiasts."
Well...what exactly does this statement mean? When practically the whole world that knows about it are super enthusiastic about it. Except those holding on to their "old Grundig radios". Even people who know nothing about it in the mass market get immediately enthusiastic about it, once exposed to it. And I'm talking Mass market. Not the enthusiasts on AVS. It seems like you're too focused on one ingredient in the pie (current enthusiasts) to vision the entire pie...along with the people lining up to eat it! More importantly, there are literally brilliant people involved with VR. Who know how to create the ingredients...pie...and the long lines themselves.

The Google Retina glasses are not the best hope IMO. It is the worst nightmare for VR. Because if it damages retina's and drives people blind...it's game over. VR companies will be very smart to explicitly state up front that their products are not invasive to the retinas. Or many parents won't touch it. Or let their children anywhere near it. I think VR developers are rightly focused on the science that causes nausea. And mitigating it. They should also put much effort from a hardware and software standpoint on creating prompts inside the headsets that stimulate natural "Eye Blinking". Because that's an issue even with 2D games on regular displays, which cause eyestrain, fatigue and use of glasses. It's been proven that people (especially kids) with prolonged exposure to video games, stare too intensely at a screen without blinking. Ditto for people computing at work! The silver lining is with VR displays...this is much more directly solvable than with external displays. Advantage VR headsets! It has the potential to revolutionize the computer display market even more than gaming or HDTV! That won't go unnoticed by parents if the VR Headset, PC computing and game makers embrace this huge potential benefit (Eye Blinking enhancements).

I think the world of "enthusiasts" is much larger than you imagine. Take a stroll through this website...click on Gear VR that will be in Best Buy in September...and tell me what most teens and travelers are going to want this Christmas. This is going nowhere but up and WAY UP!
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/
alvinmc and tgm1024 like this.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 06-19-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Last paragraph
Old 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wonder if we DK2 owners will be able to replace them with the final versions when it comes out, or at least get a discount!
Old 06-20-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Payne View Post

I think there's a modicum of truth in this...
Quote:
Google Glass doesn't work like this at all, however. Not even slightly. Magic Leap's technology apparently works along these longs, but not Google Glass, which uses a prism and a micro-projector. Glass, in fact, doesn't even put the image in front of your eye, it places it off to the side which means it isn't even an augmented reality solution, let alone virtual reality.
alvinmc likes this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fove

Anyone have insight (no pun intended) or info on the Fove product?

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...ust-your-eyes/
Old 06-28-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinmc View Post
Anyone have insight (no pun intended) or info on the Fove product?
http://www.technologyreview.com/news...ust-your-eyes/
I don't really have much to say about it, other than that it's great to see another product which should support the "Lighthouse" tracking system.
This tracking system, used by the HTC Vive, is a far simpler and theoretically more reliable way of handling tracking than using a camera and LEDs.

The Lighthouse tracking system seems like such a better idea than camera-based tracking, that I'm really not sure about buying an Oculus now.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I guess I never posted my impressions of this year's E3. Compared to what I saw last year (you can find that earlier in this thread), I was still disappointed.

I tested both the Sony and Oculus. I could still see screendoor/graininess on both on brighter colors but it was much less distracting. I could probably live with it if it was the only issue.

I could also still see blurriness, color fringing, and loss of focus at the edges. This I found very annoying and I'm not sure I could tolerate it. As I described last year, it drives me crazy when I change my focus to something at the edge of the FOV but can't get it to focus. This is not how vision behaves in the real-world. I much prefer to move my eyes than having to constantly pan my entire head to keep what I'm interested in at the center of the display. I will say that the chromatic aberration was reduced from last year because of the smaller pixels and better compensation.

Comfort level on the Sony was very bad. I played a game where I had to headbutt objects in the environment. The rapid head movements were causing it to slip off my head. By the end of my session, my face was very sweaty because of the heat trapped under the headset. The Oculus fared much better. It seemed lighter and had a more comfortable fit. I also had zero sweat on my face after the demo - I'm not sure if that was because of a better design or because Oculus cheated by cranking up the AC cooling in their demo booths.

In terms of responsiveness and tracking accuracy, I didn't see much difference between the 2. I did some quick head panning to try to determine if the supposed low-persistence of the Oculus helped with motion blur. While it seemed better than the Sony, it was still blurry compared to a CRT.

The demo sessions were very short and I was only able to test 1 game on each device. The Sony game had you play the role of a monster moving on rails through a city. There was no controller and you simply headbutted enemies to kill them. This game could have just as easily been done on a Kinect and I didn't see much point in the VR. At the Oculus booth I played some third person platformer from Insomniac. It used an xbox controller for movement and jumping. I saw even less point in doing this game in VR since you had to keep looking at your character in order to make precise jumps. VR without a first-person camera makes no sense to me.

Overall, I would not buy this tech in its current form. The games I tested don't really add anything worthwhile to the experience compared to playing on a regular monitor. To the contrary, most games are actually much worse played through the headsets because you have a lower quality display, the graphics options are reduced to maintain high fps, and there's discomfort of wearing this gear on your face. Will consumers accept these trade-offs? Only time will tell. I remain very skeptical based on the many demos I've seen over the years.

Edit:
This article shows exactly what I'm talking about regarding the poor focus on the Oculus.

Last edited by Wizziwig; 07-03-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit