Oculus Rift VR Headsets - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #421 of 428 Old 01-08-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
While the price is high, it's much cheaper than an OLED TV
I'm just as interest in this aspect of the headsets as the VR. I think whoever aces this feature will win whether it is movie watching or the ability to play 2-D games/video pass through on the unit. I don't see PS VR saying it will do this. OR does the movie thing.

What the hell are you looking down here for?!

Last edited by nowknown; 01-08-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 428 Old 01-08-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
Secondary uses never determine the winner.

Oculus or Sony doesn't win because one plays movies and the other doesn't.

In the short run, Sony is going to win because, well, there are far far more PS4s in the wild that PCs that have the specs to even run the Oculus Rift. Not to mention that all in Sony's solution is far less expensive.

But that's the short run and I think it's too soon to speculate on the long run.

I will say that I love what I've seen of Oculus but as I'm not buying one, I might be tempted to get a PS4 and the VR hookup.
barrelbelly likes this.

With HDMI cables, if you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. Also, while anecdote is the "singular of data" your personal anecdote isn't data. When you conflate your anecdote with data and then decide someone else's anecdote isn't data, you earn a place on my ignore list.
post #423 of 428 Old 01-08-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Shipping date is April 2016, a little too far out to pre order.
And the Vive is due in April too.
I'll be waiting until people have final hardware for both before making my decision.
That said, I'm hoping that the Vive will be the headset to get. Their tracking system seems much more robust, and I'd prefer not to give a cent to a company owned by Facebook, that are trying to make VR their own closed platform by buying up exclusives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daWill View Post
Seeing a lot of complaints on price all over the web though. Since most of us here are grown adults with jobs, I don't expect as many complaints. $600 sure is a lot cheaper than our fancy tv's and projectors after all. Shoot it's cheaper than my monitor and GPU by quite a large margin.
I think $600 is a reasonable price for a "first-gen" VR headset considering that the price is only going to go down from here. I paid something like $1000 for the HMZ-T1 from Sony and the Rift is a significant step forward from that.
The problem is that they set expectations poorly with Palmer Luckey saying that it would be "in the ballpark of $350".
But then again, look at the progress they have made in just two years. You have to wonder how long that $600 investment is going to last. Neither of these first-gen headsets have eye tracking - that's going to be a massive development once it's done well. It will both improve the experience and greatly reduce the hardware requirements - or allow software to get a lot more complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Secondary uses never determine the winner.
Oculus or Sony doesn't win because one plays movies and the other doesn't.
In the short run, Sony is going to win because, well, there are far far more PS4s in the wild that PCs that have the specs to even run the Oculus Rift. Not to mention that all in Sony's solution is far less expensive.
But that's the short run and I think it's too soon to speculate on the long run.
I will say that I love what I've seen of Oculus but as I'm not buying one, I might be tempted to get a PS4 and the VR hookup.
I still maintain that the PSVR is likely to do more harm for this generation of VR than good.
The headset is not as good (LCD), it's still going to be expensive, and the PS4 hardware is not powerful enough to do VR well.
They are too reliant on reprojection to make up the framerate gap, and the games which don't use it much will be on-par with PS3 software.

For high-end VR, you'll want a gaming PC.
For low-end VR, I see phones as being the main market, not consoles.
post #424 of 428 Old 01-08-2016, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Has anyone here used a rift to watch blu-rays? Any good?
post #425 of 428 Old 01-08-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 273
HaHa just been rockin GrooVR on the GVR, if anyone here with a GVR hasn't tried it its an app that lets you stream your soundcloud playlists into these trippy dynamic environments (is that a flying psychedelic whale covered in paisley neon tattoos pulsing in tune to the music over there?). Reminds me of the good old days...the possibilities with this tech are just mind boggling.

That being said, the reviews of the VIVE Pre from CES I read were not quite as impressive as I had hoped they would be (the big breakthrough was a touch oversold and the new optics seem to be having some issues). I am very excited to see room scale VR in action, but the quality of the Rift build is very high by every account I have read, and FB (as much as I too was disgusted by the buyout initially) will be a long term supporter of Oculus whereas HTC doesn't scream longevity to me at this point. I wonder how Valve will fair in VR hardware if HTC doesn't make it or chooses at some point to opt out?

And lets be honest, if we really want something akin to the Metaverse in Snowcrash or Ready Player One or Neuromancer etc...to come to fruition its going to take a massive global effort and a huge amount of capital to build the user base, so as much as it pains me to say it the FB deal may well end up being the best thing that ever happened to VR.

Yes Palmer got the messaging wrong on the price of the Rift but what are people really complaining about (not to sound crass but...$250)? Man you have to feel a little bit sorry for this guy, he almost singlehandedly gets VR going again, assembles partnerships with some of the largest companies in CE and releases the first high quality consumer grade VR headset for a mere $600 and the PCMR are giving him grief? It's one thing if someone that is not planning to be an early adopter says I am a buyer at this price or set up or whatever, but the outpouring of vitriol on Reddit was disgraceful. I am personally delighted they went with a high quality product for CV1 even if it ended up ticking off some people due to its price. If we were talking about thousands of dollars in price differential fair enough but I find it hard to believe that anyone whining on Reddit that was planning to spend $350 on the Rift (and had or was buying the requisite hardware to use it) at launch cant find another $250 over the next few months.
pjb16 likes this.
post #426 of 428 Old 01-08-2016, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicklow View Post
HaHa just been rockin GrooVR on the GVR, if anyone here with a GVR hasn't tried it its an app that lets you stream your soundcloud playlists into these trippy dynamic environments (is that a flying psychedelic whale covered in paisley neon tattoos pulsing in tune to the music over there?). Reminds me of the good old days...the possibilities with this tech are just mind boggling.

That being said, the reviews of the VIVE Pre from CES I read were not quite as impressive as I had hoped they would be (the big breakthrough was a touch oversold and the new optics seem to be having some issues). I am very excited to see room scale VR in action, but the quality of the Rift build is very high by every account I have read, and FB (as much as I too was disgusted by the buyout initially) will be a long term supporter of Oculus whereas HTC doesn't scream longevity to me at this point. I wonder how Valve will fair in VR hardware if HTC doesn't make it or chooses at some point to opt out?

And lets be honest, if we really want something akin to the Metaverse in Snowcrash or Ready Player One or Neuromancer etc...to come to fruition its going to take a massive global effort and a huge amount of capital to build the user base, so as much as it pains me to say it the FB deal may well end up being the best thing that ever happened to VR.

Yes Palmer got the messaging wrong on the price of the Rift but what are people really complaining about (not to sound crass but...$250)? Man you have to feel a little bit sorry for this guy, he almost singlehandedly gets VR going again, assembles partnerships with some of the largest companies in CE and releases the first high quality consumer grade VR headset for a mere $600 and the PCMR are giving him grief? It's one thing if someone that is not planning to be an early adopter says I am a buyer at this price or set up or whatever, but the outpouring of vitriol on Reddit was disgraceful. I am personally delighted they went with a high quality product for CV1 even if it ended up ticking off some people due to its price. If we were talking about thousands of dollars in price differential fair enough but I find it hard to believe that anyone whining on Reddit that was planning to spend $350 on the Rift (and had or was buying the requisite hardware to use it) at launch cant find another $250 over the next few months.
I guess I should feel pretty lucky about the price as I had essentially no expectations prior to the pre-order announcement date, and even then I figured $400 on the low end. $600 was pretty surprising to me at first, but mostly because I had seen what so many were parroting in the hours leading up to pre-orders going live (in hindsight, I find it quite delightful to get such tech at the current cost). Yet I was still there for the first 10-15 mins trying fruitlessly to have my order accepted. I eventually gave up as it kept telling me something went wrong, but then my wife texted me saying "Happy Birthday" because she was able to get me one.

Victory!

Anyway, I am extremely stoked to get this and try it out in racing and flight games to start with, and whatever else content looks good. Although I know the Virtuix Omni has developed a partnership with HTC Vive/SteamVR, I hope at some point it still proves useful with the Oculus Rift, because that type of setup is close to the only way I want to engage in Active VR. I do not want to move completely around my room and worry about hitting the edge of detection, an object (yes I know the Vive seems to have covered this), or tripping over a cable (or in my case, more likely one of my dogs).
wicklow likes this.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #427 of 428 Old 01-08-2016, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post
I guess I should feel pretty lucky about the price as I had essentially no expectations prior to the pre-order announcement date, and even then I figured $400 on the low end. $600 was pretty surprising to me at first, but mostly because I had seen what so many were parroting in the hours leading up to pre-orders going live (in hindsight, I find it quite delightful to get such tech at the current cost). Yet I was still there for the first 10-15 mins trying fruitlessly to have my order accepted. I eventually gave up as it kept telling me something went wrong, but then my wife texted me saying "Happy Birthday" because she was able to get me one.

Victory!

Anyway, I am extremely stoked to get this and try it out in racing and flight games to start with, and whatever else content looks good. Although I know the Virtuix Omni has developed a partnership with HTC Vive/SteamVR, I hope at some point it still proves useful with the Oculus Rift, because that type of setup is close to the only way I want to engage in Active VR. I do not want to move completely around my room and worry about hitting the edge of detection, an object (yes I know the Vive seems to have covered this), or tripping over a cable (or in my case, more likely one of my dogs).
If you hadn't already done it I would have told you to marry that woman immediately!
pjb16 likes this.
post #428 of 428 Old 01-08-2016, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicklow View Post
If you hadn't already done it I would have told you to marry that woman immediately!
Yea, she's great. Very forgiving when it comes to purchases I want to make (I usually talk them over first just so she isn't surprised) and enjoys my AV/gaming hobby as well (though not to the degree I do).

Though I may have mislead her slightly about the true cost of some of my home theater purchases (like the cost of one front speaker as opposed to two).

We actually were in the process of replacing an led DLP that had been acting up and we were looking at some 55-60" 4k tvs (the old one was 61"), and she was like "you know, I wouldn't mind getting one that was a little bigger if we can afford it". Haha, she didn't have to twist my arm too hard on that one (wound up with 65").

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete

Last edited by pjb16; 01-08-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit