AVS Roundup of the Best-Reviewed Flat Panel TVs of 2012 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 976

Flat-panel TVs are by far the most popular type of video display in home theaters everywhere. Yes, front projectors offer a larger, more cinematic image, but they account for a very small percentage of the display market.

As I write this in late February 2013, the 2012 flat panels have mostly been reviewed by the major consumer-electronics websites, and the 2013 models have not yet appeared in the market. So now might be a good time to snag a great deal on the best flat panels that last year had to offer.

I know what you're thinking—"Shouldn't I wait to see if this year's crop is much better than 2012?" You certainly could, but if you take that attitude regularly, you could wind up never getting anything at all, since there will always be a next year. Plus, it will be a few months before we see respected reviewers publish their findings of the 2013 lineup. Finally, with a few possible exceptions, the improvements from one year to the next are evolutionary rather than revolutionary, and the best flat panels of 2012 perform exceptionally well. Will the 2013 models perform even better? Perhaps a bit, but if you wait, you'll miss out on a great viewing experience until then.

To help you find the perfect flat panel for your needs, desires, and budget, I've compiled a summary of the 2012 models that were deemed superior by Cnet.com, HomeTheater.com, HomeTheaterHiFi.com, HomeTheaterReview.com, and SoundandVisionmag.com. They are arranged here by price in roughly ascending order, and all specified prices are full MSRP. However, you should be able to find most of these flat panels for substantially less, especially now, at the end of their lifecycle. The "xx" in the model numbers is a placeholder for the screen size.

Vizio Exx1i-A3 LED-Edgelit LCD

All the major sites that have reviewed the Vizio Exx1i-A3 LED-edgelit LCD flat panel concluded that it's an amazing value. Available with a screen measuring 60" ($1000) and 70" ($2000), it offers a large image for a surprisingly modest price, and so-called "smart TV" functionality as well. According to Cnet.com's review, "The Vizio E601i-A3 is the best value yet among big-screen LED TVs," while HomeTheater.com's review says, "Vizio...has clearly defined itself on value. That's exactly what you get here, together with the sort of flat-screen performance you couldn't dream of a few years ago—at any price." It's not the be-all and end-all in terms of black level and uniformity, and it doesn't do 3D, but at these prices, such limitations can be easily overlooked.

Samsung PNxxE550 Plasma

Fewer outlets reviewed the Samsung PNxxE550 plasma with 3D and smart-TV capabilities, which is available with a screen measuring 51" ($1200), 60" ($1920), or 64" ($2750). Those that did review the E550 found it to be an excellent value; as HomeTheater.com put it, "There may be no miracle here, but Samsung's designers have come close enough with the budget PN51E550 to make for a lot of very happy buyers." Cnet.com came to a similar conclusion, saying, "While not quite the best in its class, the Samsung PNE550 plasma still merits a look with its very good picture quality, sophisticated Smart TV platform, and attractive price."

Panasonic TC-PxxST50 Plasma

I have often recommended the Panasonic TC-PxxST50 to those looking for a relatively large flat panel without breaking the bank. Its four screen sizes (50, 55, 60, and 65 inches) range in price from $1400 to $3000, and that includes smart TV and 3D capabilities. Cnet.com was very impressed: "With flagship-level picture quality for a midlevel price, the Panasonic ST50 series sets the value standard among videophile-grade TVs." According to HomeTheaterReview.com, "Panasonic has set the 2012 bar high with the new TC-P55ST50. [It] serves up a very attractive HD image, with an excellent black level, good brightness and detail, and natural color." HomeTheater.com's review was equally fulsome: "With a remarkable price, superb 2D performance, and 3D that can only be bettered by spending a lot more (and often, not even then), this Panasonic is a no-brainer."

Sony KDL-xxHX850 LED-Edgelit LCD

One step below Sony's flagship XBR-xxHX950, the KDL-xxHX850 is available in only two screen sizes: 46" ($1600) and 55" ($2000). Despite being edgelit, it garnered high praise from reviewers. According to HomeTheater.com, "This is the first edge-lit LCD set I could live with without reservations...The KDL-55HX850 is too good a set to ignore." SoundandVisionmag.com came to much the same conclusion, saying, "Sony's KDL-55HX850 is unique in being the only edge-lit LCD TV that I could actually live with."

Panasonic TC-PxxVT50 Plasma

The nearly universal pick for best flat panel of 2012 was Panasonic's flagship TC-PxxVT50, available with a screen measuring 55" ($2500) and 65" ($3700). According to Cnet.com, "The Panasonic TC-PVT50 series represents the pinnacle of current flat-panel TV picture quality," while SoundandVisionmag.com concluded, "Panasonic's TC-P55VT50 is an excellent television, probably the best on the market. Its awe-inspiring contrast ratio, incredibly deep black level, and near-perfect color combine to produce one of the best pictures I've seen." HomeTheaterReview.com answered a question on the minds of many shoppers: "The question many of you might be asking is, does the VT50's performance merit the price increase [over the ST50]? In my book, absolutely. I certainly haven't reviewed a TV this year—or any recent year, for that matter—that rivals the performance of the TC-P65VT50."

Samsung PNxxE8000 Plasma

Samsung's 2012 flagship plasma is available in three sizes: 51" ($2200), 60" ($3080), and 64" ($3950). As SoundandVisionmag.com concluded, "Samsung's 60-inch E8000 model puts out a drop-dead gorgeous picture. Black depth is about as good as it gets with current plasma TV tech, and its color, while mostly accurate out of the box, can be dialed in near-perfect via the controls provided in Samsung's Color Space menu." HomeTheaterHiFi.com had a similar opinion, saying, "In the end, the Samsung PN51E8000 is a set that I would say is very close to reference quality, if not already there. The image is stunning, the measurements are fantastic, and the only LCDs that can come close to comparing usually cost far more."

Sony XBR-xxHX950 Full-Array LED-Backlit LCD

Sony's flagship XBR-xxHX950 is one of very few LED-LCD TVs that implement full-array LED backlighting with local dimming, which eliminates the uneven lighting of LED-edgelit designs and greatly expands the contrast in the image with super-deep blacks. This technology is also very expensive, as clearly demonstrated by the HX950's prices (55" for $3200, 65" for $5200). In fact, such high prices tempered what were otherwise superlative reviews; as SoundandVisionmag.com put it, "Technology is supposed to get better and less expensive with each passing year, right? Though the 55HX950's price ultimately seems too high for what you get, what you get here is undeniably good." Cnet.com said much the same thing: "Although it's priced higher and performs worse than the best plasmas, the Sony XBR-HX950 is still one of the top-performing LED TVs ever." HomeTheater.com was a bit more fulsome, saying, "Any way you look at it, the Sony XBR-55HX950 is a striking performer. From the deepest, darkest scenes in 2D and 3D to its bright, vivid 3D, it's definitely among the best sets I've yet had the pleasure of testing."

Sharp Elite PRO-xxX5FD Full-Array LED-Backlit LCD

There's expensive, then there's expensive! The Sharp Elite PRO-xxX5FD is the most expensive flat panel in the general-consumer market today, with two available sizes—60" ($6000) and 70" ($8500). Like the Sony HX950, the Elite uses full-array LED backlighting, and the results are stunning. In fact, HomeTheater.com concluded that it squeaks past the legendary Pioneer Kuro plasma, saying, "Is the Elite PRO-60X5FD the new all-time flat-panel champ? I'd have to say yes, by a nose," though it certainly doesn't beat the Kuro in terms of off-axis performance. Cnet.com didn't go quite that far: "The overpriced Sharp Elite LED-based LCD produces the second-best overall picture quality of any TV we've reviewed since 2008." Still, if you've got the dough and you need a super-bright TV, you can't do better than this.

Scott's Picks

If I had good control of room light, I would pick the Panasonic VT50 or, if money was tighter, the ST50. If room light was an issue, I'd choose the Sharp Elite (if money was no object), Sony HX950 (if money was only a bit of an object), or Sony HX850 (if money was more of an object). If money was a serious object, the Vizio Exx1i-A3 would be an easy choice.

Which flat panel would you pick? One of these, or something else?

Fam Money, sabih786 and jayromy like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
VT50, or Sharp Elite, budget provided. biggrin.gif

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Panasonic UT50 is my pick for best PQ per dollar by a land slide today. There is only one problem with it however. Room lighting.

It used to be the ST50 last year, but thanks to glowing reviews the priced never really dropped too much as time goes on. The UT50 on the other hand can be purchased at dirt cheap price due to model year change. Plus 2013 S60 series don't seem to offer anything better and deleted a major feature.
post #4 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

VT50, or Sharp Elite, budget provided. biggrin.gif
. Same here..if I had the money ..the elite is my pick.. then the vt50...I have auditioned ..them both..and IMO the elite was blacker ..maybe it was the lighting setup at my local BB magnolia store ..am not sure but the elite was blacker side by side ...

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #5 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^Courtesy of the joys of local dimming.
post #6 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM

Liked: 20
Neat idea for an article but those prices are off. I didn't research all of them, just the few plasmas I'm aware of.

Here's a couple of nitpicks. smile.gif

The Samsung E550 doesn't start at $1200 - it's around $850. You can get the e7000 (far superior) for $997 or even the E8000 for $1197. Personally, among the Samsung Plasmas I find the e7000 to be the best bang for the buck. You get the display of the e8000 without having to pay for the additional costs of the gesture/motion controls or the built-in camera. $200 buys a bunch of BluRay movies, a nice BRD player, A decent set of bookshelves….lots of things besides a built-in camera and a computer you can yell (back) at. smile.gif

The Panasonic ST50s start at $1100. They were lauded as a best buy for the money when they first came out because they were around $1400. The E7000 was $1500 and the GT50s were (I think around $1600).

However, as pointed out, all of the prices are lower so that should change the best buy for the money formula. Not taking away from the ST50 or any Panasonics but being able to get an e7000 for less than the ST50 does change the equation.

e7000 - dual processors, debatably better PQ except for blacks levels, 2 included pair of 3d glasses and the evolution kit (who knows what that's worth, really, maybe a dud).
ST50 - better blacks, debatably less chance of plasma buzz, debatably more prone to IR.

Or consider the 55" version of the amazing VT50 is coming in at only $1750 now! Only $50 more than the same size ST50. Now there's a bargain. smile.gif

Not trying to start a quibble over which entry level plasma is best between Samsung/Panasonic - there's an entire forum for that. But, the prices listed above are way off and I think that's worth pointing out. Particularly since part of the point of the article is how you can get such a good deal on last years models. smile.gif

Would be a better, even great, article if you pointed out the MSRP when introduced, then list the price they're going for now - to illustrate what a bargain just might be had. smile.gif

Respectfully,
-sb

p.s.
Oh, and when I purchased mine recently, I went for what I considered to be the best value of the bunch for the size I wanted - the Samsung PN51E7000. Was initially looking at the ST50 but it seemed like I was getting more for less with the e7000 (plus at the time it was bundled with an extra 6 pairs of glasses (totaling 8 pair) and a free BD-5900 BRD player (~$100 value). Hard to beat that bargain). smile.gif

I'm a cheap frugal bastard tho.
Fam Money likes this.
post #7 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondongle View Post

Neat idea for an article but those prices are off. I didn't research all of them, just the few plasmas I'm aware of.

The Samsung E550 doesn't start at $1200 - it's around $850. You can get the e7000 (far superior) for $997 or even the E8000 for $1197. Personally, among the Samsung Plasmas I find the e7000 to be the best bang for the buck. You get the display of the e8000 without having to pay for the additional costs of the gesture/motion controls or the built-in camera. $200 buys a bunch of BluRay movies, a nice BRD player, A decent set of bookshelves….lots of things besides a built-in camera and a computer you can yell (back) at. smile.gif

The Panasonic ST50s start at $1100. They were lauded as a best buy for the money when they first came out because they were around $1400. The E7000 was $1500 and the GT50s were (I think around $1600).

However, as pointed out, all of the prices are lower so that should change the best buy for the money formula. Not taking away from the ST50 or any Panasonics but being able to get an e7000 for less than the ST50 does change the equation.

e7000 - dual processors, debatably better PQ except for blacks levels, 2 included pair of 3d glasses and the evolution kit (who knows what that's worth, really, maybe a dud).
ST50 - better blacks, debatably less chance of plasma buzz, debatably more prone to IR.

Or consider the 55" version of the amazing VT50 is coming in at only $1750 now! Only $50 more than the same size ST50. Now there's a bargain. smile.gif

Not trying to start a quibble over which entry level plasma is best between Samsung/Panasonic - there's an entire forum for that. But, the prices listed above are way off and I think that's worth pointing out. Particularly since part of the point of the article is how you can get such a good deal on last years models. smile.gif

Would be a better, even great, article if you pointed out the MSRP when introduced, then list the price they're going for now - to illustrate what a bargain just might be had. smile.gif

Respectfully,
-sb

The prices I cite here are full-pop MSRP as reported to me this week by the manufacturers. I suspect you are citing street prices; as I said at the beginning of the article, most of these TVs can now be bought for substantially less than MSRP. Normally, I limit myself to MSRP to keep everything on a level playing field, but perhaps I should include street prices as well in such articles. Also, regarding models not mentioned in the article, I included only those that have been reviewed most favorably on most of the major HT websites; there are plenty of other models worth consideration, but I felt it necessary to limit the field to keep the article at a reasonable length and prevent readers' eyes from glazing over with too many choices. Still, I greatly appreciate your comments about other models, and I encourage others to post their favorites as well.

boondongle likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #8 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

Panasonic UT50 is my pick for best PQ per dollar by a land slide today. There is only one problem with it however. Room lighting.

It used to be the ST50 last year, but thanks to glowing reviews the priced never really dropped too much as time goes on. The UT50 on the other hand can be purchased at dirt cheap price due to model year change. Plus 2013 S60 series don't seem to offer anything better and deleted a major feature.

I agree that the UT50 is a great value, but it wasn't reviewed by many HT websites except Cnet.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #9 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop View Post

. Same here..if I had the money ..the elite is my pick.. then the vt50...I have auditioned ..them both..and IMO the elite was blacker ..maybe it was the lighting setup at my local BB magnolia store ..am not sure but the elite was blacker side by side ...

The Elite is definitely blacker than the VT50, but it still has poor off-axis performance, and it's way more expensive.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #10 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Great article Scott. Are you more excited to get your hands on the Panasonic ZT60, or LG's EM9600?

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #11 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Respectfully,
-sb

p.s.
Oh, and when I purchased mine recently, I went for what I considered to be the best value of the bunch for the size I wanted - the Samsung PN51E7000. Was initially looking at the ST50 but it seemed like I was getting more for less with the e7000 (plus at the time it was bundled with an extra 6 pairs of glasses (totaling 8 pair) and a free BD-5900 BRD player (~$100 value). Hard to beat that bargain). smile.gif

I'm a cheap frugal bastard tho.

OK buddy I guess you did not do any research on the E550. I have the 64" and I bet you did not know the 51" and 64" (not including the pentile 60") has the same real black panel as the D7000 from 2011 minus some extra menu settings and flashy cabinet. Your statement of the E7000 series being superior is wrong. Side by side at various places I have compared these sets for months and they show little difference in picture quality. The only things that sets these apart is a less reflective "PRO" panel that claims to give 10% better blacks , the processors which have little to no affect on PQ and an unattractive look with a few extra menu options also the upgradeable money eating processors (ha). I wonder how the owners of the 7000/8000 C & D series feel about the E550 series (minus the pentile 60") is carrying the same panel and PQ as their so called higher end plasmas had in the last three years. The E7000/8000 series probably has some better image processing than the E550 so I will give it that. I have done MONTHS of research in finding the minute differences between the E550 vs the E6500/7000/8000 and found the best value is the E550 which is basically an improved D7000 with a better price point. For those who brag about having the highest end samsung plasma and touting how superior they are, they are the ones who cannot afford to go any bigger than the 51" models under a grand!!! Whats that.... msrp on the 64" is around $2500 and I paid $2000 for the 64" so don't think an E7000 is so superior. I will admit I favor Samsung and I know pannys have a great picture also but I am swayed towards the brighter pop of a sammy,It's all about the picture quality so my vote is for the 64" E550 series!!!
post #12 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Great post and great research Scott!

This is a lot of fun and I agree with most of your choices
rogo likes this.

neflixis our nemesis
post #13 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

Great article Scott. Are you more excited to get your hands on the Panasonic ZT60, or LG's EM9600?

The EM9600, definitely! Sure, the ZT60 is likely to be wonderful, and it's certainly more accessible to many more people, but I really want to see what OLED can do.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #14 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Great post and great research Scot!.

This is a lot of fun and I agree with most of your choices

Thanks so much for your kind words!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #15 of 254 Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 PM

Liked: 20
Thanks for clarifying Scott.

And to the other guy. You're right. The E550 is the best plasma Samsung made last year. Ill never question it again. Don't want to wreck the comments on Scott's article. Sorry I mentioned otherwise.

Here, have a smiley. smile.gif
Devin Reeder likes this.
post #16 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 AM

Liked: 11
Factoring in everything I think the best TV of the year was the hx850. Not only was extremely stylish as most Sony TVs are, it had very good viewing angles and it's surprisingly uniform screen. It's worth the money.
post #17 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Great article, Scott. Thanks for the insights.

I am a big supporter of full-array LED. I own the Sharp Aquos LE700 (LC46LE700E) with a full array back panel (minus local dimming) and I have been supremely impressed with it's performance. It's one of the few Aquos models that featured a full-array before the company started trending toward larger sets with edge lit arrays, presumably to achieve a thinner profile. I think it speaks volumes that higher end models like the Sharp Elite choose this backlighting method, despite the industry trend of edge-lit. I personally will continue to sacrifice razor thin aesthetics for a thicker set if it means keeping the benefits and performance I've seen from full-array. My choice would be the Sharp Elite. Money is a bit of an object, but it would be worth the stretch.
post #18 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 218
...most of those TVs, the best ones, have been present at the 2012 VE Shootout.
Samsung PN64E8000
Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Sharp Elite Pro-60X5FD

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57439424-221/panasonic-vt50-wins-value-electronics-2012-tv-picture-quality-shootout/

There was no HX950 but HX929 was present the year before in the 2011 VE Shootout (HX950 and HX929 have identical pq). The Vizio stuff was not good enough, never has been smile.gif

I also want to point out that most folks in this Forum live in Flatpanel future (OLED, 4K) not in the flatpanel past or present.

Personally i would try out VT50 and Elite Pro for a while then make a choice.
post #19 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Respectfully,
-sb

Bought my 55" VT50 from Pauls last month for $1599 free shipping no tax, love online deals.

post #20 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Very nice article and much appreciated. Looking at the 2013 line ups makes me salivate. The Pannys should be great as well as the Samsungs. But the one I'm really looking forward to seeing evaluated would be the new stuff from Vizio. I know I know, Vizio is looked down upon by the masses on these forums but if they can deliver what they are promising at the price point expected then they may actually be the bench mark for 2013. That being 4K edge lit local dimming passive 3D at a bargain price.
post #21 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What's amazing to me is that after switching from LCD to a Panasonic Plasma, 95% of the people I tell, they respond with:

"What?! Why did you buy a plasma?"
"Why would you buy a TV that burns in so easy?"
"Do they even make plasmas any more?"

I will never go back from plasma after this Panasonic. $1099 at Costco for 60". Amazing!

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
post #22 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 AM

^Welcome to the fold. Unfortunately, plasma may be in its twilight of existence.
post #23 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Welcome to the fold. Unfortunately, plasma may be in its twilight of existence.
plasma's. Aren't going anyway soon...

post #24 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop 
plasma's. Aren't going anyway soon...
yes they will smile.gif
post #25 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

yes they will smile.gif
we've been hereing that for sometime now but yet in 2013 Panasonic launch the ZT..and all the major brands ..still are putting out ..new models..go figer...

post #26 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM

All 3 (remaining) majors have decreased their output, and Panasonic's fiscal situation leaves much to be desired. Market share has decreased steadily, so they won't be produced perpetually.
post #27 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Question: If the VT50 is such a Great TV set, how come Amazon has so many Open Box Specials on them? Is it because they run Hot after raising the Brightness so much in order to even see them in a Day lit room? Should come with a warning: `Evening, or Dark Room only lighting'
post #28 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What's amazing is the ST30 doesn't have that great of reviews but I am watching it right now and it's stunning.. Either way,I love mine.

I have been hearing OLED is coming every year but the plasmas just keep getting better. Only time will tell -- It's just sad that most people out there think that plasmas suck.

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
post #29 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post

What's amazing is the ST30 doesn't have that great of reviews but I am watching it right now and it's stunning.. Either way,I love mine.

I have been hearing OLED is coming every year but the plasmas just keep getting better. Only time will tell -- It's just sad that most people out there think that plasmas suck.
Plasma has improved in some areas but stagnated in others since 2008 (aka the death of the Kuro).

The ZT60 (and perhaps the Samsung F8500) hold the most promise for the tech in 5 years.
post #30 of 254 Old 02-23-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Question: If the VT50 is such a Great TV set, how come Amazon has so many Open Box Specials on them? Is it because they run Hot after raising the Brightness so much in order to even see them in a Day lit room? Should come with a warning: `Evening, or Dark Room only lighting'
There are 9 used 65" VT50s on Amazon right now. Is that a lot? Customer ratings are a better indication of customer satisfaction than the number of used sets available. Having 4+ stars is pretty good in my book, especially given the fact that a dissatisfied customer is more likely to rate a product than a satisfied customer. That said, plasmas are more reflective than LCDs, which is the trade-off of off-angle viewing. They do consume more energy but not by that much.

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e550 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx850 55 Inch Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page