See-through - real life or fantasy display? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Im sorry, but Im 57 and still live in the CRT era, yes I have upgraded the black n white to a fancy 21" colour crt, what a fantastic big screen with crisp natural colours !!

Ok, " just kidding" I have moved up to a Samsung 51 plasma just recently, but I now see oled displays "everywhere" !

First in movies like Avatar and Prometheus - aahh just some fantasy displays that is not existing.

Yesterday I saw CSI miami, one of the episodes from fall 2012. The investigators used big transparent screens!!

Are they for real ? When did this "happen" ? Is there a change going on, like the transition from crt to fp late in the 1990ies ?

And what about the industri that make dreams real, do they use old fashion green screen or is it see through used extensively nowadays?

Sorry for the elaborate post, this a very strange technology for, have never seen such thing in Norway wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

Im sorry, but Im 57 and still live in the CRT era, yes I have upgraded the black n white to a fancy 21" colour crt, what a fantastic big screen with crisp natural colours !!

Ok, " just kidding" I have moved up to a Samsung 51 plasma just recently, but I now see oled displays "everywhere" !
No you don't, except for mobile phone screens.

And no, you are not old enough to brag about it, not here on AVS at least, you are almost a youngster. tongue.gif
Quote:
First in movies like Avatar and Prometheus - aahh just some fantasy displays that is not existing.

Yesterday I saw CSI miami, one of the episodes from fall 2012. The investigators used big transparent screens!!
Are they for real ? When did this "happen" ? Is there a change going on, like the transition from crt to fp late in the 1990ies ?
Transparent LCD screens, not OLED.
OLED TVs doesn't excist yet, but have been promised every year for the last five years. Look in the end of the OLED thread.
Quote:
And what about the industri that make dreams real, do they use old fashion green screen or is it see through used extensively nowadays?
The transparent screens you see in the movies you mentioned are CGI/computer generated.
Quote:
Sorry for the elaborate post, this a very strange technology for, have never seen such thing in Norway wink.gif
Because they don't exist commercially yet, except for maybe some transparent laptop screens. They have been shown at expos since 2007, at least.

If you had followed all the numerous tech blogs in Norway you would have seen articles about this for years.

Or are you just Trolling?

PS; Seeing your post history, this should be a helpful place for you; http://avforum.no/ cool.gif
post #3 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Not trolling, just difficult to write English.

So CSi -- just cgi evrything ?

No, definetily no, I have never seen any real life see - through display, I have read about them in a us tech newspaper last christmas.

I really dont understand what tech magasines you might refer to, I havent read anything in Norwegian in Norwegian magazines yet about this topic.

But when I saw them " in use" at CSI Miami last week, I really wanted to know, if this is for real.

Speaking of age. I was 5 when TV was officially opened in Norway. Two years later, my dad had finally saved enough money to buy a TV set. And my family had only one Tv until ten years later, when colour Tv was opened in Norway. That was 1972, I had earned some money and could buy my own tv - to watch the Olympics in munich. Our first colour crt still works, kind of, we got a new one at dads retirement back in 1995. Ten year lasted our next tv, until n 2005 when dad passed away. Then the family finally got a shiny new flat panel tv for mum. She still enjoy that 9 year old 31" Sony led, but she says its to big!

In that perspective, will I ever buy a Oled tv for my family? Or even a transparent one?

OT:
Regarding avforum.no

I have yet to get any helpfull answer from anyone at that forum.
I once did some --- trolling -- kind of, and soon learnt that 95% of the active members,
were minors, not wanting any chat with grandad.

So I stay away from avforum.no. Please let me stay on here, I have nowhere else to get my answers.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

Not trolling, just difficult to write English.

So CSi -- just cgi evrything ?

No, definetily no, I have never seen any real life see - through display, I have read about them in a us tech newspaper last christmas.
They use plexiglass plates that are either projected on or computer generated images added in post production.
Same as in the headquarters of Avatar. All the transparent displays are just plexiglass. Think you can see this in the extra material.
Quote:
I really dont understand what tech magasines you might refer to, I havent read anything in Norwegian in Norwegian magazines yet about this topic.

But when I saw them " in use" at CSI Miami last week, I really wanted to know, if this is for real.
The only time you could have seen this is reports from the big Expos. The reason you havent seen this more often is because they don't exist in the sizes they seems to have in movies and CSI. All fake.
Quote:
In that perspective, will I ever buy a Oled tv for my family? Or even a transparent one?
As I said, they have promised them every year for a long time. But they have big problems mass produce them without having to thrash most of them because they are no good.
When they come they will be very expensive for a long time. Live long enough and you will have one. Maybe even OLED printed on big plastic sheets like a projection screen.
Transparent LCD and OLED is only for special use, not practical for TV or movies.
Follow the discussions in the OLED thread and you will be kept updated on all the developments of OLED TVs.
Quote:
So I stay away from avforum.no. Please let me stay on here, I have nowhere else to get my answers.
Nobody will chase you. wink.gif
Just thought that a Norwegian forum would easier provide you with sources for HT equipment in Norway. It is not always cheapest to import.

If you want to dream about the future of visual displays, here are some videos that visualise future concepts. Non of this exists today.

Corning photovoltaic glass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkHpNnXLB0
Corning Making of video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-GXO_urMow

Microsoft concept of 2019
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-6gB9_c10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ff7SzP4gfg
post #5 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so very much!

Again, an in-depth and very helpful answer, this AVS forum has again brought me new knowlegde, thank you!

OT:
My ht equipment, well....
As I am 57, I am more into crystal clear dialogue, than heavy use of LFE. Again a major difference between that norwegian forum, here at AVS forum, and only here, I learnt the lesson how to "compose" my 7.2 setup of PSB/ Svs speakers, using mini as crucial element in the vocal segment, and imagine as the only Center. And you might see my postings on s5100 bluray, very helpfull and enligthening replies!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 542
I am going to leave this here for you to enjoy....There are no plans to bring this to market, but I think this is what you were looking for, hopefully this will give you some nice dreams smile.gif

post #7 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Amazing wink.gif

Thats what I wish for my 70 th burthday wink.gif

Ok I ll try to sum up --

A) see-through screen in movies - fake everything, just plexglass. Even csi miami, just fake

B) the ces 2013 lcd see through - just show, nothing that is mass-produced, but they do exist ?

C) OLED tv - just on paper, no way close to actual buy one.

E) is there any area where transparent lcd screen are in actual use?

I try to read me up in the oled thread, but I got lost, way to techical.

Just for fun, on Sept 11th 2026, when I m 70, - any chance for a 80" oleds at usd 650 and a 10" edge to edge Oled display Ipad?
post #8 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:

Amazing wink.gif

Thats what I wish for my 70 th burthday wink.gif

Ok I ll try to sum up --

A) see-through screen in movies - fake everything, just plexglass. Even csi miami, just fake

B) the ces 2013 lcd see through - just show, nothing that is mass-produced, but they do exist ?

C) OLED tv - just on paper, no way close to actual buy one.

E) is there any area where transparent lcd screen are in actual use?

I try to read me up in the oled thread, but I got lost, way to techical.

Just for fun, on Sept 11th 2026, when I m 70, - any chance for a 80" oleds at usd 650 and a 10" edge to edge Oled display Ipad?

Well I disagree with a lot of what you say, but I'd say that your comment "D" is right on target. smile.gif

Sorry, couldn't help it. Gotta roll with the punches around here. smile.gif

A) I think I saw your comment regarding CSI Miami and plexiglass before in the OLED thread, and I'm not sure I understand.
B) No, nothing truly mass produced yet. But there have been dreams of car windshields that block out the sun with black dots over where they would otherwise pass through the glass (based upon your head position). And imagine seeing all the effects of headlights coming at you, except not the headlights themselves. Further, I would love windows I could dynamically control the blocking effects of. I personally hate physical shades/blinds/etc., and curtains are for girls.
C) No, not just on paper: OLED has been demonstrated, and is "supposed" to be shipping currently, and is claimed to be so from LG, but no one has seen a single report of anyone actually having received one yet.
D) Sure, why not?
E) Not that I've heard of, but keep in mind what LCD screen technology truly is. Back up quite a ways: Every calculator made for decades using using this in principal. The light comes from behind, and the digits are made of LCD crystals that block the light to black. Further, guess what TV's themselves are doing? Hugely complicated to be sure, but at their most fundamental principal, and in layman terms: LCD's are designed to block light and let whatever is behind them to come through at varying amounts.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. Unless, of course, it's to keep someone from creating a phone video in portrait mode, in which case it's a pretty good first step. Portrait mooks: KNOCK IT OFF.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 254
If I understand the OPs question, yes, there are television panels that are see-thru. When the Apple tv rumors first stated someone posted a link to a German mfr who, they said, would be perfect for Apple and their design ideas. That's not going to happen but the site was very interesting. They had a clear, see-thru panel that you could put a painting behind and view the painting thru the panel. But when you turned on the tv, the pq was excellent with no hint of the painting on the wall behind it. Not surprising, it was very expensive and more of a proof of concept than an actual consumer device but see-thru panels are a reality, for the wealthy.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page