How do I find out what panels are used by what models? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Things are more confusing than ever for me OEM-wise. I would like to know who makes the panels (or who is likely to have made the panels---I understand the panel lottery hooey)---and WHICH panel variant---for the new Sony 2K lineup in particular, but also the Panasonic and Vizio lineup.

Is there a collected terse source for such things that people trust?

I understand that LG has worked their way into many places (many manufacturers end up in what I consider to be surprising places) but I'd like to get a sense as to whether or not the 2013 Vizio lineup is closer to, say, the 2012 LG LM6700 panels. And I'd like to know just how unique the Sony W802A and R550A line is to Sony.

I strongly suspect that the only thing I could possibly get are a likelihood of uses, if even that.

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
That is a difficult question to answer. In 2011, when I bought my 2010 LG, you could determine the panel type by deciphering the complete product code which was put together by a "collective" of individuals and turned out to be quite accurate. The downside was that you almost always had to purchase your tv at the local B&M and just go thru the boxes on the floor until you found the correct product code. Otherwise, if you purchased online, you were subject to the "panel lottery" because you got whatever was pulled from the warehouse. I can't find the link now but there was also a website that had panel information (mfr, type, etc) and all you had to do was peek thru the vents in the back of the tv and note the mfr code info and look it up. But again, that meant that you had to have physical access to the tv.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 799
I remember 2 years ago, the serial number indicated who made the panels. The SQ series I think were the Samsung made. But the rest were always speculation.

Seems to me that there are so many insider sources on the net now that someone must have compiled a list that the folks here trust.

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I remember 2 years ago, the serial number indicated who made the panels. The SQ series I think were the Samsung made. But the rest were always speculation.

Seems to me that there are so many insider sources on the net now that someone must have compiled a list that the folks here trust.

Not the serial number, the product code. In the case of the LG series; 47LD520-UA.AUSWLUR, the fourth letter in the product code, in this case "W", indicated an S-IPS panel. Other mfrs may have had different systems, or none at all. The serial number is just for the final build identification. The "proof" of the product code, again in the case of the LG series, was the loupe test, which was performed by placing a 10x or greater magnifying lens on the panel and looking for the pixel pattern that was specific for the S-IPS panel type. I haven't seen anything since for any mfr that indicates what the panel type is, but then again I haven't been looking. You're probably best off to decide what panel type you want, going to your local store with magnifying lens in hand, and checking the pixel pattern. Note the product code or serial number and then see if you can determine a pattern for a given mfr.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm6700 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl 55w802a 55 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page