Samsung Partnering with Best Buy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-06-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Just read that Samsung will be opening stores within Best Buy and staffing them with their own people, who will know the Samsung product lines better than BB employees. Maybe this will save Best Buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Just read that Samsung will be opening stores within Best Buy and staffing them with their own people, who will know the Samsung product lines better than BB employees. Maybe this will save Best Buy.

I think Samsung boutiques alone won't be enough. Just one brand doesn't solve the "giant amounts of profitless floorspace" issue. But if they can expand this concept to other brands, it could indeed save Best Buy.

It's an excellent move by Samsung, however.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-07-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah I think you're right, the move by Samsung that is. BB just has too much real estate in each store to be saved by Samsung alone.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Yeah I think you're right, the move by Samsung that is. BB just has too much real estate in each store to be saved by Samsung alone.

Well we all want best buy to survive so we can actually touch and
play with our high tech gear before we buy it from an e-store.

So if his helps, count me in.
rogo likes this.

neflixis our nemesis
post #5 of 15 Old 04-07-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Touching and seeing is critical for me as well before I buy a tv. Don't care what the "professional" reviewers have to say, I need to see for myself so yeah, I'd like to see stores like BB survive (even bigger Sears stores for that matter).
post #6 of 15 Old 04-07-2013, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Forbes (and the stock market) seems upbeat concerning Best Buy's prospects : http://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2013/04/05/best-buy-gets-its-business-model-right/
rogo likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

The SWAS' will have both Samsung provided/specific employees and BBY's own blue shirts.

Interesting concept and a nice move for BBY, but this makes me wonder how certain other vendors feel, like say, Apple? Can't imagine they're too thrilled with the idea.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #8 of 15 Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Perhaps this is just the first move by Samsung, to get their foot in the door toward eventually purchasing the company, and setting up a chain of Samsung Stores to compete with the Apple stores,etc?

I believe Samsung might open retail stores in the U.S., but not by purchasing Best Buy. The BBY stores are way, way too large for that purpose. I visited one yesterday for research and it was a BBY medium-small format store and a good 2/3 of it is non-profit-producing. Yuck.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 92
My local BBY has a magnolia inside. I hope the Samsung deal does not push out Magnolia. That'd be a loss for consumers.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

My local BBY has a magnolia inside. I hope the Samsung deal does not push out Magnolia. That'd be a loss for consumers.

I don't see why it would. I reckon 2/3 of a Best Buy is seriously not producing positive margins. They can sacrifice something else before the Magnolia.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Perhaps this is just the first move by Samsung, to get their foot in the door toward eventually purchasing the company, and setting up a chain of Samsung Stores to compete with the Apple stores,etc?

That strategy makes sense to me. This gives Samsung a fast track to having 1400 stores in places where tech-focused customers already are. Small investment compared to opening 1400 of their own micro-stores.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #12 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Would other major Electronic Brands want to have Best Buy carrying their products in stores where Samsung would have such a big advantage over them, by getting to woo the customers up close and personal all the time?

I'm going to spend some time putting together a blog post on how I think this is potential a saver or a death-blow for Best Buy.

post #13 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would other major Electronic Brands want to have Best Buy carrying their products in stores where Samsung would have such a big advantage over them, by getting to woo the customers up close and personal all the time?

Apple was kind of first there as far as the store-within-a-store concept. Apple and Best Buy have had a love-hate relationship since before the stand-alone Apple stores opened. It seems like Best Buy wants to become the retailer where everyone wants to show off their wares. Kind of the Switzerland of electronics retailing. I'd love to see LG, Panasonic, Sony, etc do the same thing (imagine being able to see Sony's new 55" 4K TV on display at a Sony/Best Buy store within a store (something that now you have to go to a Sony Style store to see).

It could be as cool in execution as it is in theory.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #14 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

From what I've seen, it seems like the Samsung SWAS will be taking away space from media (DVDs, CDs) in some stores, and gaming areas in others. It seems like they would be planning them to be adjacent to the Best Buy Mobile sections for cellphones. Some Best Buys seem to be phasing out their musical instruments so that could net them some space.

post #15 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Apple was kind of first there as far as the store-within-a-store concept. Apple and Best Buy have had a love-hate relationship since before the stand-alone Apple stores opened. It seems like Best Buy wants to become the retailer where everyone wants to show off their wares. Kind of the Switzerland of electronics retailing. I'd love to see LG, Panasonic, Sony, etc do the same thing (imagine being able to see Sony's new 55" 4K TV on display at a Sony/Best Buy store within a store (something that now you have to go to a Sony Style store to see).

It could be as cool in execution as it is in theory.

Yes, it has to be that way or else it does little to keep Best Buy afloat. If it's just Samsung, Best Buy postpones the inevitable but seals its fate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

From what I've seen, it seems like the Samsung SWAS will be taking away space from media (DVDs, CDs) in some stores, and gaming areas in others. It seems like they would be planning them to be adjacent to the Best Buy Mobile sections for cellphones. Some Best Buys seem to be phasing out their musical instruments so that could net them some space.

The media is already small in the small-format BBY stores because it's absolutely free of profits, I'm sure. It needs to go. Also, BBY is way over-assorted in accessories and digital cameras and camcorders. That area can be shrunk if needed to accommodate the Samsung area. One problem is that as they pull in Samsung to a dedicated area it creates a lot of weirdness in several other areas, most especially TVs. All the more reason why they should try to go all in with this plan, instead of half way.

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page