Need a new TV, confused on a few things. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using an old TV as a security monitor. It goes thru a DVR and uses component out to connect to the TV.

The TV died and it sucked anyways.

I'm looking at about a 40" HD TV and most have component input, but I was told component in will be fuzzy.

They tell me I should be using at least VGA input straight from the DVR. So, I'll have to replace the DVR to get this output. - not a problem, the old unit wasn't great.

Q. Is it true that component out will be fuzzy compared to VGA output? and do most newer HD TVs have VGA input?

The next question is, my old TV did PIP (picture in picture) ... I asked at a few places and they didn't have a clue if the new HD TVs did PIP or not.

I just saw one on YouTube that does this from the settings.

Q. Do most newer HD TVs have PIP?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-19-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking at discussion sites that are saying you can get just as good of a picture with component input as you can with others. Some are saying you can get 720+ from component input.

I wonder if my problem is with the security DVR.

The problem could have been the older tube type TV I was using. My computer monitor doesn't have component in, so I can't test the DVR's output.

Also, the PIP seems to be some models have them and some don't. Saw one that had PIP in the settings.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I think you may be mixing up Composite with Component -- two very different inputs. Composite will look "fuzzyer" or such since it's a low resolution output. Component can display anything tat HDMI can, 1080p/i ect. Odds are a security DVR will only have a composite output, this is what DVRs and VDRs have had for decades.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Matt. That does clear things up a bit. So would the VGA output on a security DVR be better than a composite output?
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Yes. I would opt for VGA over composite. However that is only part of the story. the real key is the recording capability as well as the cameras capability, odds are those will have a greater impact on the end image than the type of output.

We've all lived with composite for decades and in many cases it can look quite good, not Hd good but very serviceable.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Matt. Fry's has a DVR that has VGA output. 2 cameras are 600 TV Lines and 1 is 700 TV Lines.

The current DVR has good quality, but only when I extract the files via the USB port onto a thumb drive.

The output to my 15 year old Sony XBR tube TV just plain sucks, now that the TV is dead, I can upgrade to a HD TV and the output should be better.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page