DW upped my allowance, I need help... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I'm a new member, longtime lurker here. Like my title says, DW upped my allowance and I've decided to get a new TV. Right now I have an old Philips 19" CRT with built-in VCR (which still works). I have small living room in a small house, so I won't be looking at buying a particularly large TV. The distance from my TV stand to couch is between 8-10' depending on what side of the couch you're sitting on.

I am mostly looking at 32" LCD and 42" plasma TVs as they are the smallest in their respective categories while still being 1080p. 42" is the biggest I can fit in my living room, and that's kind of pushing it. I don't really care about 3D or smart features as part of my plan is to build a HTPC to serve all my HD, streaming & Blu-Ray, content to the TV. Nevertheless, it seems that the higher end models that have the better panels also have the 2 features I don't really care about. My budget is $1200.

I've been throwing around the LG 32LM6200, Sony 32W650A, Samsung UN32ES6500F, and Toshiba 32L4300U as LCD contenders and the Panasonic TC-P42S60 as the plasma contender. All sets look good on paper and I'm hard pressed to make up my mind.

What do you guys think? Am I going down the right road here with any of these sets or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thank you for your help.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 374
personally Id probably shoose the 42S60, but it all depends on the room envirnemnt and how much ambient and or controlleable light you ahve in the room. Since the S60 has no AR filter (youd need to go to the S64 and I dont think they have the S64 in 42") it may not perform well in "bright room" situations due to the glare and reflections....
post #3 of 3 Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I 'test fitted,' so to speak, different size TVs using a cardboard cutout over the weekend. Sadly, a 40", or for that matter, a 42" TV is too big for where the TV will go. I haven't found any 37" TV that appeals to me. It seems like I'm left with a 32" TV. I like the specs of the Sony KDL-32W650A. Do you guys know of any decent 37" TV? If not, what are your thoughts on the Sony?

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 32w650a 32 Class Full Hd Led Lcd Internet Tv , Lg 65lm6200 65 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un60es6500 60 Inch 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page