Panamax 5300 and Power Conditioner questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I originally had the Panamax 4300 and exchanged it for the 5300 so I would have more coax and ethernet ports. Panamax told me If EVERYTHING wasn't connected my warranty would be invalid. Most people apparently just plug power cords in there systems and that's their out on paying out on the warranty apparently.

So I got the 5300 and got my coax and internet stuff hooked up and two things I've noticed.

1. My internet slowed down about 20mbps. That's huge. I've tried different cables and speed test sites. Its at least 20mgs slower.

2. I've noticed some mild pixelation in my directv picture. I'm running coax into 5300 and out into directv receiver. I've only seen the pixelation/lost of picture once so I'm not entirely sure it wasn't my satellite but the timing was just curious since it occurred during all my changes.

3. I noticed some mild ticking/popping noises coming out of my soundbar too. I had that plugged into the Linear port and changed it to the High Frequency and that seemed to help but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm assuming all these issues are related to the box since I've never had these issues before. Is it a bad box or is it possible that this is just a side effect of the connections through their system?? If that's the case that blows. There's no way I'm going to degrade my picture and internet speed on all my high end stuff. I have paid bookoo bucks for all my hdmi, optical etc. etc. etc. and it would be a shame to loose all those improvements I've tried to make running it all through a power management system that's going to cause interruptions.

I read somewhere on another forum that it's common that power systems can cause disruptions in any digital signals such as my coax and internet. All that energy running together causes some sort of interference maybe? All this stuff is over my head at this point.

Any idea's or thoughts? I emailed Panamax and I'm hoping to hear back soon. The dag on 5300 was over 500 bucks. I was hoping I paid a little more to get a better product. I made the purchase to improve on my quality of pic/sound and protect my system. Not to distort it.

Any help you guys can offer would be grateful. I may just remove the coax and ethernet and go back to just running those normally but than I loose out on protecting those sources right?

I look forward to reading your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 AM

Liked: 26
I own a 5400 and have never had any of these issues. I'd say you got a bad box. Check if direct tv should be run through there, I know fios shouldn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 05-11-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yao. Directv tells me they would prefer the coax go directly to the receiver but wont guarantee the receiver is protected from surge that can carry up the hdmi into my home theater system. Is that even possible?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked: 26
In theory yes. At the end of the day it's all metal wires connecting everything. I had a friend lose 3 $800 network switches because the surge went from the modem to his switches via Ethernet. I can't sit here and say I understand or can speak to electrical capabilities or limitations tho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 05-12-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yao,

Well either way it sounds like I may have a goofy box or they need to provide me with another option because 20mg loss is unacceptable. For the Coax I may just run it directly to the receiver and just unplug my HDMI from my tv during storms.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

If I can't get the performance from Panamax is there another brand I should consider?

Tags
Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black