Laser Phosphor Display (LPD) Technology - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 06-19-2013, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Chronoptimist: Do you think that a person with tetrachromat eyes would make a better calibrator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Chronoptimist: Do you think that a person with tetrachromat eyes would make a better calibrator?

And consequently even further marginalizing those of us societal outcasts with anomalous trichromacy...?! eek.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif
_

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #33 of 42 Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Seriously, isn't anyone interested in checking out these LPD monitors?
post #34 of 42 Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Seriously, isn't anyone interested in checking out these LPD monitors?
Yeah, where can I check them out? rolleyes.gif

This is very deep low resolution modules that you mount together on a wall with visible borders between the modules. And the price?

Using similar tech as Remote Phosphorus (google it) which use either blue LED drivers or blue Laser to excite the phosphorus, like in the new Sony presentation projector where blue laser and phosphorus is used for creating white light.

The LPD tech will never be used for TVs.
post #35 of 42 Old 03-02-2014, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hi there, i have been off AVS for quite some time... but i work at Prysm and can answer any questions that you may have. i have also been in the av industry for 25+ years, so i can offer comparisons to CRT etc.

its not a home tech yet. this is a technology that was only postulated in 2005. so idea to shipping product was 6 years, and we are now at 9 years total life.

it is for massive video walls and a new offering we have for conf rooms.

i wont get into a apec war, but in my eyes, it is the most promising tech for really natural realistic images.

Proud Daddy to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...

post #36 of 42 Old 03-02-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi, Dizzman! It took a while but I'm glad we have a Prysm guy here. The tech looks promising on paper save resolution. I realize that this tech isn't for home use (for now) but how about some retro gaming? Does a single monitor have processing capabilities and input circuitry?
post #37 of 42 Old 03-06-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Hi, Dizzman! It took a while but I'm glad we have a Prysm guy here. The tech looks promising on paper save resolution. I realize that this tech isn't for home use (for now) but how about some retro gaming? Does a single monitor have processing capabilities and input circuitry?

so there is a processor box that manages a group of tiles. (up to 30ish depending on what you are doing) so it creates a canvas that goes on those tiles. each tile is an individual 20" diagonal box with no bezel. tiles are glass on the edges.

it breaks up the video and puts it to the right tiles. as well, the tiles have internal servos that constantly monitor all sorts of stuff. brightness, colour, alignment (spacing of the lasers) etc. so the processor manages all the data from tile to tile. as well, in large walls (i reecently built one in china that is about 80' wide by 12' high with a 2 degree curve. resolution of 20,496 x 2,880) the processors talk to each other to manage all those things across the entire wall.

video comes in, tiles up the refresh rate to 360hz and you get a nice clean phosphor based image.

thats just a short version.

at one point in the companies history, we developed a 60" HD prototype, and were planning on just being an R&D company. but that evolved so that we make the products. we are working on some stuff that is going to shake up many aspects of the display industry, but at present, not looking at the small displays.

Proud Daddy to
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

post #38 of 42 Old 03-06-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

we have demo facilities in San Jose, New York, London, Dubai and Beijing. if somebody is in an area and wants to see one, drop me a line and i will see if i can set something up.

Proud Daddy to
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

post #39 of 42 Old 03-06-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 535
I kind of wonder how many aspects of the display biz can be shaken up without "small displays". I guess it matters where the cutoff is.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #40 of 42 Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks like Mitsubishi has licensed the technology (or the LPD display itself) from Prysm: http://me-vis.com/mitsubishi-electri...cube-infocomm/

According to the Prysm site, they're releasing new video walls: 117" and 190". Also two new displays (not sure if they're made of tiles but they do look different) of 65" and 85" diagonal. Claimed 4K UHD compatible. Might be their first consumer products. http://www.prysm.com/video-walls/

Last edited by Elix; 06-23-2014 at 11:49 PM.
post #41 of 42 Old 06-24-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 80
A question to Dizzman....

Could you further define what you mean by small displays, given what the previous poster describes as an 85 inch display?

Will Mitsubishi be developing home applications of this tech.

I read a week or two ago about Mits using a red laser as a light source in an upcoming LCD display, but that's a different thing altogether.

UPDATE:

I read further back on the thread and see that dizzman already stated that from his company's point of view it's not presently intended for home use.

But that does leave Mitsubishi...

Last edited by taichi4; 06-24-2014 at 10:02 AM.
post #42 of 42 Old 06-24-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
This is an amazing display for the perspective of jumbotron usage!
I have loved CRT's, especially since I had the NEC XG135 CRT projector.
Quote:Originally Posted by Elix

- Pixel Rise Time (ms) <0.003 (no blur)

Pixel rise time, alone, does not solve blur.
See Why Do Some OLED's Have Motion Blur? as well as Scientific References.

You need both fast rise and fall, to eliminate motion blur caused by the sample-and-hold effect. That said, fortunately, laser phosphor display probably meets both attributes; but this should always be pointed out accurately. I wonder if they use short-persistence phosphor or long-persistence phosphor, but I would assume that it would be quite similar to CRT behavior.

For the sake of scientific accuracy, it is important to understand this & spread information accurately.
It won't solve the frame rate issue of LED and OLED-LCD. There is only so fast you can switch liquid crystal.

Last edited by Weboh; 06-24-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page