LED advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been REALLY beating myself up on whether I should go plasma or led. I'm looking to get a 60” TV to wall mount over where an old window AC unit use to be. I'm a Costco member and right now they have the 60” vizio for $889 which would give me more overhead for a sound system.

I like watching movies and have a laptop (Intel i5) I'll be mounting behind the TV and using as a media center via wireless keyboard and mouse. I have a utility room on the other side of the wall with a media server that hold the content and have a ps3 I use for bluray.

I considered myself just above average when it comes to your TV user. I like movies, Netflix or directTV on demand mostly, but LOVE football season when it comes around. The glare of a plasma scares me but I've never seen one with the new AR filters. I saw Costco has the p65s64 which I hear has it but not sure how effective they are and the $1400 price tag is a stretch. I wouldn't mind going smaller if I could find a better unit for the same price.

Also, don't shoot me, I was best buy and saw their 60-65" insignia and honestly the PQ looked great to me matching any of the sets they were sitting next to. I also see new brands popping up like the TCL.

I couldn't care less if the tv has 3d or smart capabilities.

Can you give me some recommendations? I'm in Houston, Tx if anyone knows of local deals.

Thanks!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a plasma and to be honest in white screens I get a lot of darkening. But the colored screens look pretty colorful. The LCD's I have don't do this darkening, so based on that and that you like to web browse on the monitor I would say to go for the lcd.

If you want to read the print on the screen you'll have to put some text on the screen and stand or sit as far as you'll be looking at the screen to see if you can actually read the text. O r else you'll have to resize the text in the browser like I do.

I would suggest a lcd that lets you do some rgb color calibrations individually, because color calibrations are difficult otherwise. And led LCD TV's seem brighter to me and so better looking.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Well the internet browsing will be the least of the usage. Mostly using the laptop with a media front end will be the primary use. Of course the new Xbox one or ps4 could change all of that.

I'm looking around and tigerdirect has the LG 60pa5500 plasma for $650 which is so attractive I'm scared lol. Trying to read on them now as well as AR filters

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
post #4 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 AM

Liked: 11
As per my knowledge LED is a better option than a Plasma TV because the most important feature of LED TVs is true color that it provides and slimmer than than Plasma TV, consumes less power about 70% less than Plasma TV, lighter in weight than Plasma TV, LED is manufactured by nearly all companies but Plasma TV is manufactured by Panasonic, Samsung and LG companies only and lots more. I prefer LED TV rather than Plasma TV.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLesley View Post

As per my knowledge LED is a better option than a Plasma TV because the most important feature of LED TVs is true color that it provides and slimmer than than Plasma TV, consumes less power about 70% less than Plasma TV, lighter in weight than Plasma TV, LED is manufactured by nearly all companies but Plasma TV is manufactured by Panasonic, Samsung and LG companies only and lots more. I prefer LED TV rather than Plasma TV.
LED isn't a display technology like Plasma is a display technology.
"LED" TVs are LCD TVs. The LED is only for backlighting the LCD.
LED TV is a misnomer.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

LED isn't a display technology like Plasma is a display technology.
"LED" TVs are LCD TVs. The LED is only for backlighting the LCD.
LED TV is a misnomer.

Except for this:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2013/07/10/c-seed-perfect-tv-baron-or-bond-villain

For those who wanted Crystal LED TV, here's your dream set for only $700,000. There's a link in the article to watch a video of the set in action.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLesley View Post

I prefer LED TV rather than Plasma TV.
That much is obvious and is the most substantial part of your post. It would have been much easier if you just began your message with this rather than the bullet points unrelated to PQ that you mentioned at the beginning. You did make one erroneous (and humorous) point about PQ in that plasma doesn't provide true color. Can you substantiate that?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

That much is obvious and is the most substantial part of your post. It would have been much easier if you just began your message with this rather than the bullet points unrelated to PQ that you mentioned at the beginning. You did make one erroneous (and humorous) point about PQ in that plasma doesn't provide true color. Can you substantiate that?

Vinnie, I think he made a lot of valid points. I mean personally I think the fact that because more companies manufacture LED it's clearly better. And you can't forget the fact that it's thinner also substantially effects the PQ wink.gif

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #9 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
True...and the lighter weight makes the screen seem as if it's levitating, making for a more uplifting viewing experience, or so I've heard.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page