Help me decide please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been researching and researching and researching. I thought I had my model picked out 3 different times only to change. I am just sick of reading reviews and specs. I thought this would be an enjoyable thing to do but now I am feeling worried and stressed out that I am going to make a bad decision, waste money or be stuck with something not good.

I have had a 42 inch Hitachi Plasma I bout in early 2006. I want something to replace that. Its going to go above the fireplace in the family room on a articulating dual arm wall mount. I would guess that viewing distance will average 10-12 feet with some seats off at maybe a 40-45 degree angle. I have DirecTV as the viewing source.

1. Panasonic TCP55ST60 Plasma is what I had my mind set on for about a month. Have read lots of good reviews on Amazon and CNET. I have had a 720p plasma and have enjoyed it very much over the past 7 years with no issue. I figure with one that old and never having IR issues why would the new styles bother me? Well, you do read some reviews with those complaints so maybe it's user error/abuse? I'm not sure. Also only 2 pairs of 3D glasses and I have read that the 3D is just ok on this set. $1448 PRICE

2. Samsung UN55F7100 LED. Looks awesome! Very great reviews as well. I was in Costco over the weekend and saw a model # UN55F7450A. Not sure if these are comparable or not. I'm thinking they are and the model #'s are different because its a Costco only model? Again, not so sure. I was BLOWN AWAY with the picture color and clarity. Also comes with 4 pairs of 3D glasses and I experienced that in store. WOW AGAIN! $2179 PRICE

Now, is the Samsung worth almost $700 more dollars? Is the LED "better" than the plasma? is viewing the LED from the way my family room is set up really going to affect the picture quality to the point where it's bad?

I also have read reviews on a SAMSUNG UN55F7500. Not sure of the main differences. Just more "smart" features? If so, I really don't need that I don't think. I mean, I do have an Apple TV which lets you do Netflix, stream photos, youtube etc.

I'm just hoping some people on here can educate me and help clear my mind so I can make a good decision.

***By the way, also will be running the sound through a Polk Audio sound bar with wireless sub. Model # 9000IHT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am in the same boat dont know what to do. buy or wait for 4k to get cheaper.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone awake who can post their opinions? come on I'd like some help please.
post #4 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 AM

Liked: 10
I'm sure after all the reading you've done you know the pros and cons of plasma and LCD/LED flat screens.

The $700 difference can be explained because the extra circuitry of "LEDs". The LED's replaced the old cold cathode tube behind the LCD's as the light source. LCDs don't emit light they just change transparency to let the light thru. The problem with them is even when 100% opaque a small amount of light gets thru and you can't get a really good black color. That's why plasma has been the best when it comes to black as the plasma pixels emit they light and when they're turned off there is no light leakage... you get a true black. So the answer to the problem for LCDs is replacing the single cold cathode tube with lots of LEDs behind the LCDs and turn individual LEDs off when you need a black. Effectively this LED technology was needed to make the LCDs as good as the existing plasma flat screens. The down side is you have to pay the extra money for it. Marketing them as LEDs TV's is really half true, they should be LCD/LED TV's.

So, if it was me I would go with the Panasonic plasma. Panasonic plasma TV has been the bench mark for good quality in both reliability and picture performance. The only downside for me would be power consumption. LCD's has been the winner here. Plasma TV needs more power but over time the difference between LCD & Plasma is closing up. Personally I wouldn't pay an extra $700 just to make LCD's as good as Plasma's. There would have to be a significant difference in performance picture quality and/or added functions the Panasonic doesn't have.

In addition your viewing distance of 10-12 feet suggests anything over 720P is a waste of money unless your going to 60" or higher screen size. As far as 1080P, NOBODY transmits at 1080P with the exception of Blu-ray, so paying extra for 1080P also a waste of money. Here's a link with a bunch of resolution charts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hdtv+resolutions+chart&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=OUq&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=i8mtUY_yOoq70QHfvoGgBQ&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=1025&bih=408#facrc=_&imgrc=hdtIPwuk20ccBM%3A%3BKYbEYSksrd9oFM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.blogcdn.com%252Fwww.engadget.com%252Fmedia%252F2006%252F12%252Fresolution_chart.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.engadget.com%252F2006%252F12%252F09%252F1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size%252F%3B860%3B587
post #5 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserman View Post

I'm sure after all the reading you've done you know the pros and cons of plasma and LCD/LED flat screens.

The $700 difference can be explained because the extra circuitry of "LEDs". The LED's replaced the old cold cathode tube behind the LCD's as the light source. LCDs don't emit light they just change transparency to let the light thru. The problem with them is even when 100% opaque a small amount of light gets thru and you can't get a really good black color. That's why plasma has been the best when it comes to black as the plasma pixels emit they light and when they're turned off there is no light leakage... you get a true black. So the answer to the problem for LCDs is replacing the single cold cathode tube with lots of LEDs behind the LCDs and turn individual LEDs off when you need a black. Effectively this LED technology was needed to make the LCDs as good as the existing plasma flat screens. The down side is you have to pay the extra money for it. Marketing them as LEDs TV's is really half true, they should be LCD/LED TV's.

So, if it was me I would go with the Panasonic plasma. Panasonic plasma TV has been the bench mark for good quality in both reliability and picture performance. The only downside for me would be power consumption. LCD's has been the winner here. Plasma TV needs more power but over time the difference between LCD & Plasma is closing up. Personally I wouldn't pay an extra $700 just to make LCD's as good as Plasma's. There would have to be a significant difference in performance picture quality and/or added functions the Panasonic doesn't have.

In addition your viewing distance of 10-12 feet suggests anything over 720P is a waste of money unless your going to 60" or higher screen size. As far as 1080P, NOBODY transmits at 1080P with the exception of Blu-ray, so paying extra for 1080P also a waste of money. Here's a link with a bunch of resolution charts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hdtv+resolutions+chart&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=OUq&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=i8mtUY_yOoq70QHfvoGgBQ&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=1025&bih=408#facrc=_&imgrc=hdtIPwuk20ccBM%3A%3BKYbEYSksrd9oFM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.blogcdn.com%252Fwww.engadget.com%252Fmedia%252F2006%252F12%252Fresolution_chart.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.engadget.com%252F2006%252F12%252F09%252F1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size%252F%3B860%3B587

Wow thank you so much for posting. That is some great information. I guess the thing that was also grabbing my attention as far as the Samsung LED, is the way the screen looks and the thinness of it. I was just blown away, almost like you were watching a picture in thin air because the bezel is so thin.

So what is your take on plasma technology not being produced anymore and Panasonic not making anymore new models? In a few years is this going to be old technology?

I mean to be honest and not treating money like it's just nothing to me, but this Panasonic plasma on Amazon is around 13 or 1400 it's not like I'm spending 3 or 4000. I guess it could always be sold if I wasn't happy with it in a year or so.

I just want to get something that I am going to be happy with that is a major upgrade over the plasma TV that I bought back in 2006.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

anyone else have any input?
post #7 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Go to the stores....ask for the remote . Play with remote, go thru all settings...set them to best pix you see. If they refuse to let you use remote to adjust pix, then tell them goodbye, and go elsewhere.

Let your eyes and your pocketbook make your decision.

You might also consider a Sony, but that is just my opinion.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 02:18 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygiant75 View Post

Wow thank you so much for posting. That is some great information. I guess the thing that was also grabbing my attention as far as the Samsung LED, is the way the screen looks and the thinness of it. I was just blown away, almost like you were watching a picture in thin air because the bezel is so thin.

So what is your take on plasma technology not being produced anymore and Panasonic not making anymore new models? In a few years is this going to be old technology?

I mean to be honest and not treating money like it's just nothing to me, but this Panasonic plasma on Amazon is around 13 or 1400 it's not like I'm spending 3 or 4000. I guess it could always be sold if I wasn't happy with it in a year or so.

I just want to get something that I am going to be happy with that is a major upgrade over the plasma TV that I bought back in 2006.

True the plasma is going to old technology. But that doesn't mean it's substandard performance. Plasmas have also gotten better since 2006. I wouldn't put LCD/LED TV into any major upgrade. The thinness of the LED's is a grabber to the public, the downside is they're so thin the audio is poor because the speakers are so thin. So now there selling speaker bars adding another $200 -and up to the cost of the TV. Around here I've seen 50" Panasonic plasma's for less than $700. Amazon has them for $649. $650 vs. $2200 would get my attention. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50X3-50-Inch-Plasma/sim/B004M8SBHK/2

Take JSUL's advice with the remote control at the store. Some stores purposely make the TVs they want to sell look the best. At the end of the day you have to be happy with what you buy. Good luck and happy shopping.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 215
In the 50-65" size range the Panasonic plasma is considered the very best PQ many magazines and professional reviewers have ever reviewed. That's a pretty bold statement and it's made by several respected sources. In my opinion, if lighting is a problem, fix it. The Panasonic ST series is the steal of the year. This months issue of Sound & Vision simply gushes over this set., CNET rated it 5 stars out of 5. That's the first time they've ever done that. Key word there is EVER! Panasonic will for sure make a 2014 version and if they quit after that then too bad for the consumer. If you want a 70" or bigger then LED is the ticket but for under 70" then the F series plasma from Samsung or the ST/VT/ZT series from Panasonic sits alone at the top of the PQ food chain.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserman View Post

True the plasma is going to old technology. But that doesn't mean it's substandard performance. Plasmas have also gotten better since 2006. I wouldn't put LCD/LED TV into any major upgrade. The thinness of the LED's is a grabber to the public, the downside is they're so thin the audio is poor because the speakers are so thin. So now there selling speaker bars adding another $200 -and up to the cost of the TV. Around here I've seen 50" Panasonic plasma's for less than $700. Amazon has them for $649. $650 vs. $2200 would get my attention. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50X3-50-Inch-Plasma/sim/B004M8SBHK/2

Take JSUL's advice with the remote control at the store. Some stores purposely make the TVs they want to sell look the best. At the end of the day you have to be happy with what you buy. Good luck and happy shopping.

So what's the big difference between the plasma refers $650 and the one I'm looking at the ST60?
post #11 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

In the 50-65" size range the Panasonic plasma is considered the very best PQ many magazines and professional reviewers have ever reviewed. That's a pretty bold statement and it's made by several respected sources. In my opinion, if lighting is a problem, fix it. The Panasonic ST series is the steal of the year. This months issue of Sound & Vision simply gushes over this set., CNET rated it 5 stars out of 5. That's the first time they've ever done that. Key word there is EVER! Panasonic will for sure make a 2014 version and if they quit after that then too bad for the consumer. If you want a 70" or bigger then LED is the ticket but for under 70" then the F series plasma from Samsung or the ST/VT/ZT series from Panasonic sits alone at the top of the PQ food chain.

I hear you man. I've read those same reviews. Then I read user reviews on amazon talking about IR etc etc. I don't know. I'm almost ready to just get the damn Panasonic ST60 in a 55" screen and be done with it.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hear you man. I've read those same reviews. Then I read user reviews on amazon talking about IR etc etc. I don't know. I'm almost ready to just get the damn Panasonic ST60 in a 55" screen and be done with it.
I agree that IR is the one single possible concern but the 2013 60 series seems to have almost eliminated IR.. But keep in mind that you only hear from the vast minority. I think the odds are way way in your favor. I'm not sure where you plan on buying but most return policies are really good. But that is something to check out before you give a company your money. I know that Amazon is fantastic and Costco is even better. I would play it safe and run your new plasma for 100 hours with full screen and no logo's.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I agree that IR is the one single possible concern but the 2013 60 series seems to have almost eliminated IR.. But keep in mind that you only hear from the vast minority. I think the odds are way way in your favor. I'm not sure where you plan on buying but most return policies are really good. But that is something to check out before you give a company your money. I know that Amazon is fantastic and Costco is even better. I would play it safe and run your new plasma for 100 hours with full screen and no logo's.
Yes I'm actually looking on Amazon. I think they have the 30 day return policy. I guess maybe those people with IR issues are watching TV shows with logos or something I'm not sure but I never had a single issue with my plasma made in 2006. I just get nervous spending this much money on something. I want to make sure it's the best decision and that I am going to be happy with it.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I'm actually looking on Amazon. I think they have the 30 day return policy. I guess maybe those people with IR issues are watching TV shows with logos or something I'm not sure but I never had a single issue with my plasma made in 2006. I just get nervous spending this much money on something. I want to make sure it's the best decision and that I am going to be happy with it.
If you look on the plasma forum you'll see 5,000+ posters that are long time plasma owners commenting on their new plasmas. A few have gone out of their way doing every bad thing you can think of in an attempt to induce IR. With no success at all. These were on 2012 models that seem to have been improved on for 2013. It seems that if you get any IR it will quickly disappear and as the set ages a bit even that potential will go away. Any such concerns will be negated within the first week.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Liked: 18
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Trying to decide between the Samsung UN65F7100 and the Panasonic TC-P65ST60. Right now the Samsung is only $200 more, so the price difference is a wash for me. I am leaning towards the Panny due to overall performance, but the thing that are making me still consider the Sammy is image retention. I play videogames with lots of static HUD images on them, so I'm just nervous about a plasma. Also, my wife isn't tech savvy and would probably slip up with properly using a plasma and induce IR somehow. Basically I am fighting between picture quality vs peace-of-mind.

Also, I'm having trouble finding user reviews on the 7100 and how it does with videogaming. If there is lots of screen tearing, lag, and motion issues than that would push me to the plasma and then just be sure I took good care of it. Any input?

I just read on the ST60 forum that some people are getting some input lag on the Panny display too. Now I'm confused lol

HT: 60" Samsung UN60F7100, Infinity Primus 360 towers/152 rears/PC350 center, Elemental Designs A2-300 12" sub
Music: PSB Image 6 bookshelf pair, Yamaha R-S500 stereo receiver, Def Tech AW5500 outdoor speakers for patio
post #16 of 22 Old 06-05-2013, 03:05 PM

Liked: 12
I had to laugh when I read your post, it sounded just like my dilemma. I read and read and read reviews, studied the forums over and over, went to stores dozens of times (salespeople started to ignore me - I think they thought I was window shopping), just couldn't make up my mind. I would be ready to purchase a TV, then would read a negative review or so and decided to look some more. I talked myself out of buying a TV more times than you can shake a stick at. I just didn't want to put a lot of money into a TV because of all the new developments with 4K, etc., but I still wanted a quality picture. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Samsung F7500 when I went into Costco one last time. I saw the Samsung 55" F6030, 3D, no internet apps which I didn't want anyway because I have them on my BR player, great price at $800, so I bought it. The picture is excellent on bluray, very watchable on standard def. channels. I watched Lawrence of Arabia the other night and it was awesome. I am still playing with the menu a bit but so far I love this TV. I also like the Samsung F8500 plasma but was worried about IR as I tend to only watch a few TV channels along with my movies. I looked into the Panasonic ST60 plasma, thought it had a very nice picture and is a good value, like the TV I bought. I think sooner or later you just have to take action, make a decision, take the plunge. Buy from a retailer where you can return the TV if you don't like it, you really can't lose. I'm very happy now that I finally decided to take action. I think my problem was I read WAY too much instead of just going out and looking for the TV that looked good with a good price. Good Luck
post #17 of 22 Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana girl View Post

I had to laugh when I read your post, it sounded just like my dilemma. I read and read and read reviews, studied the forums over and over, went to stores dozens of times (salespeople started to ignore me - I think they thought I was window shopping), just couldn't make up my mind. I would be ready to purchase a TV, then would read a negative review or so and decided to look some more. I talked myself out of buying a TV more times than you can shake a stick at. I just didn't want to put a lot of money into a TV because of all the new developments with 4K, etc., but I still wanted a quality picture. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Samsung F7500 when I went into Costco one last time. I saw the Samsung 55" F6030, 3D, no internet apps which I didn't want anyway because I have them on my BR player, great price at $800, so I bought it. The picture is excellent on bluray, very watchable on standard def. channels. I watched Lawrence of Arabia the other night and it was awesome. I am still playing with the menu a bit but so far I love this TV. I also like the Samsung F8500 plasma but was worried about IR as I tend to only watch a few TV channels along with my movies. I looked into the Panasonic ST60 plasma, thought it had a very nice picture and is a good value, like the TV I bought. I think sooner or later you just have to take action, make a decision, take the plunge. Buy from a retailer where you can return the TV if you don't like it, you really can't lose. I'm very happy now that I finally decided to take action. I think my problem was I read WAY too much instead of just going out and looking for the TV that looked good with a good price. Good Luck
Ha ha, thanks for replying! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Kind of like therapy reading your post!

Seriously though, you're right. I just need to buy the darn thing. I think I am staying with my first choice and will be ordering the Panasonic st60 in a 55" screen.

And to think I had a hard time choosing which handgun to buy last time I had some money to burn. This is harder!
post #18 of 22 Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

H
Ha ha, thanks for replying! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Kind of like therapy reading your post!

Seriously though, you're right. I just need to buy the darn thing. I think I am staying with my first choice and will be ordering the Panasonic st60 in a 55" screen.

And to think I had a hard time choosing which handgun to buy last time I had some money to burn. This is harder!

Yeah, I bought a new car a few years ago and didn't have near as hard of a time making a choice. Best to just quit reading and go out and purchase what you like. Get the Panasonic ST60 because that's the one that seems to stick in your mind, it's a very nice television.
post #19 of 22 Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana girl View Post

Yeah, I bought a new car a few years ago and didn't have near as hard of a time making a choice. Best to just quit reading and go out and purchase what you like. Get the Panasonic ST60 because that's the one that seems to stick in your mind, it's a very nice television.

Thanks. You'd think by now all TV's, rather plasma, led, etc would all be good with no issues. Seems every model out there if it's $200 or $5000has it's own issues.

Like I said, I "think" I will just go with my gut and stay with my first choice, the ST60. I'll post back after I get it to let everyone know how it looks.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Note sure if this helps anyone but I've had a Panasonic plasma since 2004 (42" 1080i) and there is some IR but it goes away after 20 seconds or so after turning the TV off and almost instantly if I change channels. I play all of my video games on this TV (which is a ton) since it is my only TV. It still looks amazing after all of these years which is why I am leaning towards the Panasonic 65" for my next one. I wanted to go 70"+ but after my experience with plasma and some of the negative things I read about LED I'm not so sure...
post #21 of 22 Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably the biggest negative with LED/LCD's is off axis viewing. Some are better than others but it is a weakness. It's no big deal to me but if you often have people sitting very far off center they may suffer some. It's the only reasonable option for those wanting 70" or more. If 65" is sweet enough then you can't go wrong with the Panny ST/VT/ZT or the Sammy 64F8500.
post #22 of 22 Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have owned my panny plasma for 5 years or so... old tech:) I constantly fall asleep with netflix menu up...

Is there IR... yeah sure. You can see shadows of the netflix menu when the screen is black (for the 1 sec it takes to turn on/off the TV).

Can I see it if I play something? Sure if I look really hard and there are big blocks of solid colors.

Does it go away? Yup after a few minutes of watching real content it will go away.

My personal opinion... IR is a bit overblown.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un55f7500 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Hitachi 42hdf39 42 Inch Widescreen Plasma Tv Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Fhd Plasma Display , Samsung Un55f7100 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page