TV Signal Compression In The Real World - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 274 Old 11-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Member
 
videokid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So the ongoing question, which provider (other than the off air stations) has the best uncompressed signal?
videokid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 274 Old 11-21-2014, 08:29 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
So the ongoing question, which provider (other than the off air stations) has the best uncompressed signal?
I've done many TV installs in the various towns in So Calif with various providers over the years and i always bring an OTA antenna, and i use familiar local news broadcasts when i adjust the picture. The antenna is also handy to compare their provider's picture quality with the same channels over the air and some of these folks are shocked at how poor their provider's picture is compared to free OTA.

I would say Verizon FIOS has the best PQ and is almost indistinguishable from OTA. 2nd place is probably DirecTV, 3rd place is Dish, and last place is AT&T U-Verse which has horrible overly compressed HD here in my town as well as every other town i've seen it in. Some of my neighbors and friends here have fallen for AT&T's false advertising claims and switched from TWC or DirecTV to U-Verse and every one of them is unhappy with the PQ and the other limitations, and there's nothing i can do for them. Some have ditched U-Verse it was so bad. They really should not be in the TV business.

Cable company picture quality is hard to categorize as it varies greatly here in the LA/OC area - in my town for instance TWC (formerly American Cablesystems) actually has a very good picture that is about the same as DirecTV, but 8 miles north of me in West LA my friends and family have TWC (formerly Comcast) and it is very compressed and looks poor compared to my TWC PQ. TWC's PQ in Redondo Beach 5 miles to the south of me is somewhere in-between. Charter Cable in Orange County looks soft on my step-son's Panasonic plasma but doesn't seem to be overly compressed.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #273 of 274 Old 11-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Member
 
videokid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
I've done many TV installs in the various towns in So Calif with various providers over the years and i always bring an OTA antenna, and i use familiar local news broadcasts when i adjust the picture. The antenna is also handy to compare their provider's picture quality with the same channels over the air and some of these folks are shocked at how poor their provider's picture is compared to free OTA.

I would say Verizon FIOS has the best PQ and is almost indistinguishable from OTA. 2nd place is probably DirecTV, 3rd place is Dish, and last place is AT&T U-Verse which has horrible overly compressed HD here in my town as well as every other town i've seen it in. Some of my neighbors and friends here have fallen for AT&T's false advertising claims and switched from TWC or DirecTV to U-Verse and every one of them is unhappy with the PQ and the other limitations, and there's nothing i can do for them. Some have ditched U-Verse it was so bad. They really should not be in the TV business.

Cable company picture quality is hard to categorize as it varies greatly here in the LA/OC area - in my town for instance TWC (formerly American Cablesystems) actually has a very good picture that is about the same as DirecTV, but 8 miles north of me in West LA my friends and family have TWC (formerly Comcast) and it is very compressed and looks poor compared to my TWC PQ. TWC's PQ in Redondo Beach 5 miles to the south of me is somewhere in-between. Charter Cable in Orange County looks soft on my step-son's Panasonic plasma but doesn't seem to be overly compressed.
Great information! Working in the TV production industry, I see the true picture quality of material shot in HD/4K.... then I go home and watch this compressed garbage on provider content (Dish for me). I realize that you lose a little quality when you go from source to the end user, but pixel packets, pasty faces.... just unacceptable. But when I see a show streamed on Netflex via cat5/network cable, it looks very good/great. Maybe the future is each broadcast/content channel streaming their own signal or show directly to the viewer through the internet for a small monthly charge, by passing the "compressor" or middle man. If the present TV providers can't send HD without compressing the quality out, makes you wonder how they are going to provide 4k programming?!
videokid is offline  
post #274 of 274 Old 11-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
gomo657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Great information! Working in the TV production industry, I see the true picture quality of material shot in HD/4K.... then I go home and watch this compressed garbage on provider content (Dish for me). I realize that you lose a little quality when you go from source to the end user, but pixel packets, pasty faces.... just unacceptable. But when I see a show streamed on Netflex via cat5/network cable, it looks very good/great. Maybe the future is each broadcast/content channel streaming their own signal or show directly to the viewer through the internet for a small monthly charge, by passing the "compressor" or middle man. If the present TV providers can't send HD without compressing the quality out, makes you wonder how they are going to provide 4k programming?!

I like your thought process/idea just to use an example I love the TV show Hannibal but what I see via Comcast was inferior to what I watched via iTunes. Being a pretty dark visual experience Comcast signal didn't handle the feed properly the flip side is the recent Extant that I watched some via dvr and Amazon Prime but the prime didn't cut it but for the most part the artifacts from compression isn't worth watching. But the pipes need a major overhaul before my wish becomes viable everyone doesn't receive the data speed we receive here in our nations capital.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
videokid likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
gomo657 is offline  
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
Samsung Un60f8000 60 Inch Class Smart Tv 3d Ultra Slim Led Hdtv W 3d Glasses , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off