Do I really need a new tv? Do new tv's produce better textures for games? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I currently have a Sony KDL40v2500 that I got back in late 2007.

I am very happy with the picture quality, and very happy that it does 1080p since I guess I future proofed myself.

Whenever I go to the store and look at TV's, I don't really see a big difference in picture quality between new models and my tv.

The only differences are things like 3D and higher HZ levels. (120hz, etc)

I don't really care about any of that stuff because I don't really notice the difference.

I'm just wondering if newer tvs produce better textures? Will textures on ps3 and 360 games look better on a newer tv? It doesn't really seem that way to me when I look at friends new tvs. I always prefer the picture quality of mine over theirs.

I am also going to be getting a PS4 and the games on that will be 1080p. I figure I am set and won't be needing a newer tv for this. Is 1080p the same for all tv sets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
You pretty much answered all your questions but Yes newer high end tv's look better and will perform better than yours when properly calibrated. Even though when you see them in stores you don't see much difference. If it ain't broke why fix it, I say. You seem happy with your set and as long it does 1080p and you like the handling of motion and input lag and everything else, why bother? Your only setback is that it's a 40", that's more like a bedroom size or for a tiny apartment.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 270
PS4 will be able to playback UHD (2160p) so 1080p is not futureproof ..

The V2500 is a CCFL LCd, most LCd's today are LED LCd's, Plasma is also an option

Not all LEDs are equal:
http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

btw by today standards the V2500 has midiocre PQ
Old 07-13-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Yeah that's true with the PS4, I'm getting one myself, but I don't think he is interested in 4k. It's a 40" 6 year old tv he has. I don't think he's looking to be future proof at this point.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Sometimes (most of the times?) it is really hard to judge PQ in the stores. I was in an hhgregg this week. They must have had 60 HDTVs on display. Every single one of them was connected to the same 480p source feed. I got a salesman and told him I was having a hard time comparing HD performance since none of the bazillion TVs was showing HD. He said something about them all showing DirectTV. I asked him to go in back and change to an HD channel. He said he'ld "try". Try? Perhaps it never crossed anyone's mind they might need to feed these TVs HD. I guess he couldn't do. After about 10 minutes of waiting I left.

Best Buys in my area are better. At least the feeds are HD, but they usually have a lot of compression artifacts. The Magnolias do a good job though.

My point is, maybe the new sets you've been looking at aren't being shown to their true potential.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
Old 07-13-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
If you stick to LCD instead of plasma, consider Sony's Motionflow Impulse which is now Game Mode compatible. It does flicker (somewhat plasma-style), but gives you the CRT effect that can make 60fps console gaming more immersive.

Example TV's include the HX950 series, but the newer Sony HDTV's such as KDL55W905A allows this to function in Game Mode. Sony's Motionflow Impulse does not use interpolation, which is good news for games, as it is a pure strobe backlight that eliminates motion blur. It is enabled in Game Mode on several new 2013 Sony HDTV's such as the . When this is enabled, playing console video games on a LCD looks more like plasma or CRT. It's like the LightBoost feature that's been the rage in new 120Hz computer monitors. To understand how a strobe backlight works, see High Speed Video of LightBoost, to see how it bypasses the LCD's speed limitations.

HDTVtest.co.uk has tested this feature on Sony KDL55W905A HDTV.

The main problem is CRT-style flicker, and you get reduced brightness when Motionflow Impulse is enabled. If you enable it, test it at home in a darkened room, because it will look dim when tested in a store's bright lighting (because of the large black periods between the CRT-like backlight strobes). It executes a black frame insertion of a ratio approximately 3:1, about 75% dark and 25% strobes. On average, it eliminates the Sony's LCD motion blur by about 75%. During fast pans during 60fps racing simulator games running at 60 frames per second, the length of motion blur trails shortens by 75% -- which makes it feel more like a CRT.

Definitely try this mode out on your 60fps games. The effect doesn't help 30fps games as much (you will now get a plasma-style double-image effect).

Some of these (somewhat-more-expensive) LCD's have shown surprising recent leapfrogs in CRT motion clarity recently. This is good for motion-resolution nuts like me (For me, maximum motion resolution is more important than perfect blacks). I've seen new LCD's with less motion blur than plasma. New LightBoost LCD's have only 1.4ms (measured) motion blur, compared to plasma's 5ms (measured) motion blur, due to red-green phosphor decay cycle.

Plasma is (usually) superior for console gaming with cheap plasmas having better motion resolution than cheap LCD/LED televisions, and great black levels. It does cost a lot more to buy a LCD TV that has better motion resolution than plasma during video gaming. You do get the plasma disadvantages such as increased input lag and the temporal dither of subfield refreshes (which can be bothersome for dark games, especially dungeon games, during close-view-distance gaming).
Braehole likes this.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

Tags
Sony Bravia V Series Kdl 40v2500 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv