LG OLED now on display and available for preorder in US - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It has finally happened. OLED is finally available. Sort of anyway.

I just returned from my local BestBuy and there on display was the curved LG 55" EA9800 3D OLED HDTV available for pre-order. They were demoing a Bluray movie and also had an LG-produced demo on a thumb drive. Of course it looked spectacular.

They only have it in one store here in Minnesota near the BestBuy headquarters in suburban Minneapolis. I was told BB headquarters also has one but there are no others available yet. Some other BB stores will get them over the coming weeks.

I was told they had a press conference with LG reps and BB execs this morning in the store and they just put it out for display after that. I suspect we'll be reading more about it tomorrow.

I was told they are being sold for $15,000 and are "built to order". No sets are being warehoused by BB. If I put down $1500 (10%) that will trigger an order in BestBuy's system that will in turn trigger something that would start the process of getting it to me. They wouldn't say how long because they really didn't know. But the sales guy mentioned if I put down $1500 today I would be the first person in the US to get one. I'm not ready for that but maybe someone else is? The sales guy said I was free to pass his name out to anyone on the Internet who wanted to buy it. Let me know. smile.gif

So based on this in my opinion LG has won the race and their set can be ordered here before Samsung's. Admittedly, though, it's a stretch since it's just one store.

Here's from BB's spec sheet:

Introducing the LG EA9800 3D OLED HDTV

OLED stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode. OLED TV pixels light themselves, instead of relying on a lamp or backlight. This makes color and light representations far more accurate than ever before, resulting in the following benefits:
 Color: A larger than ever range can now be expressed.
 Contrast: The OLED’s contrast is virtually infinite, because the pixels completely turn off when not in use.
 Wide Viewing Angle: The exceptionally wide viewing angle means colors won’t fade or images as you move to the side of the screen.

LG uses WRGB OLED technology in the EA9800, which adds a white sub-pixel to the standard red, green and blue. This adds over 2 million sub-pixels compared to standard RGB. With the addition of white, the four-color pixels give every color more realistic and natural shades or tones.

Advanced Design, Paper Slim
The back of the TV is seamlessly constructed with carbon fiber. This premium material is light, but very durable. It is often used in aircraft and supercars. The clear Crystal Stand adds an elegant touch, while providing an immersive viewing experience by making it look like the TV is floating. Forward facing, 40W speakers create better sound than side or rear-facing speakers. The astonishingly thin profile is made possible because the TV doesn’t require any additional backlighting inside the chassis.

Cinema 3D with 2D-to-3D Conversion
Get 3D like you do in the movie theater with lightweight glasses, cool 3D effects and a great picture.LG's Cinema 3D TV brings amazing 3D effects right into your home. Even standard 2D content can be quickly converted to immersive 3D with a press of a button on the remote. LG uses flicker-free, lightweight 3D glasses that don’t require batteries or recharging.

LG Smart TV
A simple-to-use interface gives you an intuitive, easy way to access limitless content, thousands of movies, customizable apps, videos and browse the web. And, when you can just point and choose selections with LG's unique motion-controlled Magic Remote, described below, it's even simpler.

Magic Remote
LG’s Magic Remote with Voice allows you to select features on your TV with the wave of your hand. Just point to what you want and the sensors follow right along. You can also use the scroll wheel if you want, and even use your voice to input text.

General specifications EA9800 Series
Panel Curved OLED
OLED Type WRGB
Resolution Full HD 1080p
3D Type Cinema 3D
3D Glasses 2 Alain Miliki, 2 clip on
Contrast Infinite
Sound Output 40 Watts
Sound System 4 Channel Virtual Surround
Remote Magic Remote
Smart TV Compatible Yes
Web Browser Yes
Depth 4.3mm

Here are some (poor) photographs just to show it is indeed on display in a US retail store:

Edit: Added spec sheet and model number
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 188
This is great news. They are literally going to sell tens of these. Time to buy some more LG Stock.
post #3 of 39 Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What was your impression of the curved screen? Is it a gimmick or did it increase the quality.
post #4 of 39 Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

This is great news. They are literally going to sell tens of these. Time to buy some more LG Stock.

Heh, well its finally here.
Will burn in be a problem?
post #6 of 39 Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

tee hee. "tens" of these is about right.
post #7 of 39 Old 07-22-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

tee hee. "tens" of these is about right.

I'm not even sure if they're capable of manufacturing 10. The only reason for today's "release" was because Samsung forced their hand and LG desperately wanted to be "world's first". If it weren't for Samsung, I bet we would sit out 2013 with zero OLED's for sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borf View Post

Heh, well its finally here.
Will burn in be a problem?

It already is. Didn't you see this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1481970/oled-in-london
post #8 of 39 Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I can only surmise that the reason for the curved screens is to distract the consumer from
The many flaws inherent in these gen 1 panels

The novelty is supposed to distract us from contemplating
Deteriorating lifespan of blue subpixel
Burn in,
Limited 55" 2k panels

neflixis our nemesis
post #9 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Liked: 11
I saw this on Engadget--note that Value Electronics, who participate in this forum, will have the Samsung screen soon:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/22/samsungs-55-inch-curved-oled/
Well, it looks like LG won't be the only option available this month for those in the market for a 55-inch curved OLED TV. According to CNET, Samsung's similar TV set, already on sale in Korea, is headed to "select dealers" in the US as early as this week. At least one of those, NY-based Value Electronics, says that its shipment is already on the way, and that it will run the same $14,999 that LG's TV demands at Best Buy. To be clear, that is $15k per TV. One TV. Fifteen thousand dollars. Slightly curved.

--Dean L. Surkin
post #10 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:

I see what you did there.

I'll probably post about this nonsensical genital-measuring contest on the weekend.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #11 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

I can only surmise that the reason for the curved screens is to distract the consumer from
The many flaws inherent in these gen 1 panels

Maybe it adds some rigidity to the screen to compensate for it being so thin. But probably just a gimmick.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #12 of 39 Old 07-23-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

Maybe it adds some rigidity to the screen to compensate for it being so thin. But probably just a gimmick.

It's just a gimmick. It has nothing to do with rigidity.

That said, the lack of rigidity of these screens is why they probably ought to be wall mounted... and you cannot wall mount the curved one... So.....

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #13 of 39 Old 07-24-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

It's just a gimmick. It has nothing to do with rigidity.

That said, the lack of rigidity of these screens is why they probably ought to be wall mounted... and you cannot wall mount the curved one... So.....

You can't mount the flat EM9700 yet either.  {chuckle}  OYE.

Curved TV.  Good grief.  You couldn't make this stuff up.

rogo likes this.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #14 of 39 Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 44
post #15 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is a really crummy set of pictures.

For instance, I couldn't get a sense as to what that crumpled up cellophane looking disaster at the bottom was without reading.  Oh, and I hope if folks take pictures of this thing that they don't crop this tightly.  Just makes it look like a weird bezel at first glance.

I like their phrasing.  They might be introducing some new terms to us all.

"Mr. Smiley Face": Perhaps we'll call this the smiley effect?

"Voice Echo": Now *that's* a new one to worry about!!!  LOL!

I'm trying to like this implementation as is but I just can't get past the pointless bend to the screen.  We may look back on curved TV's as among the very dumbest ideas ever to hit the industry.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #16 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 142
smile.gif

A Curved TV Is A Happy TV. This is the greatest practical joke in the entire history of the world, being pulled of by those Koreans with their renowned Warped Sense Of Humor.wink.gif
post #17 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

smile.gif

A Curved TV Is A Happy TV. This is the greatest practical joke in the entire history of the world, being pulled of by those Koreans with their renowned Warped Sense Of Humor.wink.gif

LOL.  You just gave me an image of Panasonic and Sony board members waving their hands dismissively and saying "Let those idiots fight this out".

Dawned on me though.  Perhaps this will usher in a new era of "Frown" settings.  (To undo the smiley effect for people sitting below the screen----assuming they find a way to put this on a wall someday).  The Darbee Frown, etc.  $300 at Best Buy...coming soon...

Something I can't come up with a mathematical model for yet: what is this going to do to convergence?  A headache creator for 3D all over again?

post #18 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 188
It is great that OLED has finally arrived, though I would have rather had the flat screen model in the US, it still doesn't not address the issue of 90% failure rates on the OLED line. A new method of manufacturing OLED needs to happen in order for this to not just be a design study. If you are an oil sheik or just must have the very best, the 56" Sony 4K OLED studio monitor coming out would be a better choice.
post #19 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 142
The introduction of a curved OLED TV model before bringing a flat version to market is violating the KISS principle, and forcing those who would be most likely to be early adopters,into having to make a decision that the manufacturers would have been better off not to force upon them, especially at the launch of a first generation big ticket item. People have been waiting for flat screen display that would provide a superior picture to anything that Plasma or LCD have been able to do.

With the introduction of the Curved Panel first, the manufacturers now have presented the early adopters with the additional decision; Do they want to purchase an OLED display now, for the improvements it will provide in image quality, but also must switch to a curved display, simply because they are not offering the flat panel option?! IMO the manufacturers are hurting their OLED market launch by leading with a quirky novelty item, for which they have offered no compelling reason for why it would greatly improve the consumers viewing experience.
post #20 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
^^^^

agreed: I am really trying to obtain a straight answer as to why a curved screen...
post #21 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

The introduction of a curved OLED TV model before bringing a flat version to market is violating the KISS principle, and forcing those who would be most likely to be early adopters,into having to make a decision that the manufacturers would have been better off not to force upon them, especially at the launch of a first generation big ticket item. People have been waiting for flat screen display that would provide a superior picture to anything that Plasma or LCD have been able to do.

With the introduction of the Curved Panel first, the manufacturers now have presented the early adopters with the additional decision; Do they want to purchase an OLED display now, for the improvements it will provide in image quality, but also must switch to a curved display, simply because they are not offering the flat panel option?! IMO the manufacturers are hurting their OLED market launch by leading with a quirky novelty item, for which they have offered no compelling reason for why it would greatly improve the consumers viewing experience.

Which is why this whole thing has a me a little angry.  I want to see this stuff actually work.  Not be shot in the foot.

post #22 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Am I missing something, are there any videophiles on this board actually considering buying this television?

The curved screen makes sense to me. They might sell a thousand units and those are going to be to people with an average net worth in the tens of millions. I think more will be sold as gaming televisions than sold to people planning on putting this television in the family room of their 3500 square foot house in the burbs. So if I was picking out the television for the bedroom on my yacht, the curved screen works nicely.

Beyond that, the curved screen obviously grabs a bit more attention from the press or from people walking by at Best Buy.
post #23 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
comments from an unnamed insider:

Here's my take on why LG and Samsung launched the slightly curved 55" OLED.

The trend of viewing closer to displays has been going on since FHD arrived in 1998. At the moment, a 55" class is the largest OLED possible at this time; anyone who had the opportunity to see a flat 55" OLED and the slightly curved panels side by side and viewed anywhere from 4' to 10' away, novices and enthusiasts would all prefer the curved OLED design.

The experience is very immersive and so naturally matches how our eyes see in real life. Keep in mind that the curve is very minimal and definitely makes the display unique and absolutely adds to the stunning OLED viewing experience. So with OLED you have an amazingly natural and extremely high contrast ratio with absolute uncrushed black, white whites, but brightness that is not overpowering. Color accuracy is outstanding, but far more saturated than we experienced with PDP or any LED.

I want to stress that the curve is very minimal and has only a slight effect on the viewing even when viewed up to about 20% off center, when you are within my recommended 4' to 10' viewing distance. The benefits of the slight curve are clearly apparent when viewed as recommended.

Given the viewing advantaged of a curved OLED vs. flat, it was an easy decision for LG and Samsung to make the 55" OLED with the gentle curve.

Now with all of this considered, I do recommend curved OLED TV to be viewed by one to a max of four people and to get the ultimate immersive experience by sitting between 4' and 10' from the screen.
post #24 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

Am I missing something, are there any videophiles on this board actually considering buying this television?

The curved screen makes sense to me. They might sell a thousand units and those are going to be to people with an average net worth in the tens of millions. I think more will be sold as gaming televisions than sold to people planning on putting this television in the family room of their 3500 square foot house in the burbs. So if I was picking out the television for the bedroom on my yacht, the curved screen works nicely.

Beyond that, the curved screen obviously grabs a bit more attention from the press or from people walking by at Best Buy.

Don't know about yours, but usually a yacht hits large swells from time to time and a TV on a stand (and not on the wall) might be a bad idea.....

post #25 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Don't know about yours, but usually a yacht hits large swells from time to time and a TV on a stand (and not on the wall) might be a bad idea.....

Damn, the rich really do have big problems tongue.gif
post #26 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Damn, the rich really do have big problems tongue.gif

Poor bastards...

post #27 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Here's my take on why LG and Samsung launched the slightly curved 55" OLED.

The trend of viewing closer to displays has been going on since FHD arrived in 1998. At the moment, a 55" class is the largest OLED possible at this time; anyone who had the opportunity to see a flat 55" OLED and the slightly curved panels side by side and viewed anywhere from 4' to 10' away, novices and enthusiasts would all prefer the curved OLED design.

The experience is very immersive and so naturally matches how our eyes see in real life. Keep in mind that the curve is very minimal and definitely makes the display unique and absolutely adds to the stunning OLED viewing experience. So with OLED you have an amazingly natural and extremely high contrast ratio with absolute uncrushed black, white whites, but brightness that is not overpowering. Color accuracy is outstanding, but far more saturated than we experienced with PDP or any LED.

I want to stress that the curve is very minimal and has only a slight effect on the viewing even when viewed up to about 20% off center, when you are within my recommended 4' to 10' viewing distance. The benefits of the slight curve are clearly apparent when viewed as recommended.

Given the viewing advantaged of a curved OLED vs. flat, it was an easy decision for LG and Samsung to make the 55" OLED with the gentle curve.

Now with all of this considered, I do recommend curved OLED TV to be viewed by one to a max of four people and to get the ultimate immersive experience by sitting between 4' and 10' from the screen.

I agree with most of this and in fact I think the curved OLED was a good idea unlike many (most) posting here.
post #28 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

Quote:

[....snipped....]

The experience is very immersive and so naturally matches how our eyes see in real life.e.

Matches how our eyes see in real life how?  Keep in mind that the filming for this light taken in from a camera to a flat sensor (CMOS or CCD array most likely).  That then produces an image that unless flat, will not display properly NOR naturally match how our eyes see in real life.

Sorry to over-react to this, but this kind of thing drives me nuts.  Just because light is all around us does not mean that a flat display doesn't appropriately do the same exact thing.  ESPECIALLY since the content is captured to a flat medium to start!

According to the unnamed source's theory, then it would be clearly a bennefit to wrap that flat sensor image around you entirely.  The argument that it is "ok because it's only slight" is an argument against the validity of the idea, not for it.

post #29 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

^^^^

agreed: I am really trying to obtain a straight answer as to why a curved screen...

You won't be getting one. I spoke at some length with LG yesterday. Honestly, it seems it was necessary to differentiate from everything else in the store given the astronomical pricing. There's a short laundry list of other reasons why it seems it was done... see below...

Quote:

See, the "beyond that" part is about right. It's a terrible, terrible yacht TV but then so is the current flat one that also can't be wall mounted. The market size is so small right now, I suspect you'll see customers for all users -- so long as they are just really wealthy.

post #30 of 39 Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Not sure what to believe until I see this for myself.

LG and Samsung thought it was the right way to build these TVs as did Mark Rubin's insider who saw them side by side agreed as did Rich Peterson another industry insider and technical guy so it must have value. Also the expatiation seems to make sense.

My feelings are not many folks have seen this new technology yet enough curved so I'm holding off my options for he taste test.

Rogo, I would not put much weight in a LG trainer or whoever you may have spoken to as they likely have less knowledge than those insiders and pros who are posting sensible advantages of the curved screen. And for you to say nonsense to what sound sensible to me and to disagree with Rich Peterson and the insider without any facts to back up your dispute does not add any value or support to your opinion.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page